Steven Soderbergh

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
knives

Re: Steven Soderbergh

#226 Post by knives » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:41 pm

It was the result of a recent court case where basically no one was sure who had the rights so the judge gave them to Friedkin.

whaleallright

#227 Post by whaleallright » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Ah! Justice is served.

Reverend Drewcifer

#228 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:04 pm

It turns out that Don Coscarelli and his co-writer Paul Pepperman own the rights to The Beastmaster.

A Tempted Christ

#230 Post by A Tempted Christ » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:11 am

I hope both the original and the re-edited versions come out and Soderbergh won't go full Wong Kar-Wai with them. I mean, Schizopolis will probably be a Criterion upgrade and if they do that they will likely include the original version as well. And he talked about releasing both versions of Kafka here back in 2013.

The Narrator Returns

#231 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:43 pm

In this Daily Beast interview, he says that he's aiming for a box set release of all the remasters and reedits next year. He doesn't say whether it would be Criterion, just that it would be "limited edition".

therewillbeblus

#232 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:45 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:43 pm
In this Daily Beast interview, he says that he's aiming for a box set release of all the remasters and reedits next year. He doesn't say whether it would be Criterion, just that it would be "limited edition".
I wonder what the other titles are- I think we know Bubble, but I'd hope for/expect The Good German, The Limey and (hopefully, from Fox) Solaris

The Narrator Returns

#233 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:07 pm

He says in the Playlist interview I linked last month, it's Bubble, Girlfriend Experience, Gray's Anatomy, and And Everything is Going Fine. And as for Soderbergh taking a Wong Kar-wai heel turn, he says in a different interview with Filmmaker Magazine that both the reedits and the original versions will be in the box set.

therewillbeblus

#234 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:42 pm

Weird I literally took a look at a recent Playlist interview (mirroring the one you just posted from Daily Beast) a couple hours ago, so it’s strange it didn’t mention them

The Fanciful Norwegian

#235 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Soderbergh will co-produce the 2021 Academy Awards, alongside occasional collaborator Stacey Sher and live TV veteran Jesse Collins.

Reverend Drewcifer

#236 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:45 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 pm
Soderbergh will co-produce the 2021 Academy Awards, alongside occasional collaborator Stacey Sher and live TV veteran Jesse Collins.
Much prefer the picture of Soderbergh from Indiewire.

The Narrator Returns

#237 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Our cups runneth over with Soderbergh news this week; when he was interviewed for the Ringer's Big Picture podcast, he said that his deal with HBO Max included a clause where all the movies he's made with Warner Bros. have to be remastered.

therewillbeblus

#238 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:27 pm

Score for the small club of fans for The Good German, that one seemed doomed to fall into obscurity for a while there

The Narrator Returns

#239 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 pm

Ha, on this same episode he still seems completely baffled by the vitriolic response to The Good German (he tells a fun story about Jules Asner having to cut out two full pages of the New York Times the day it came out before he could see what an awful review it got) and says that it's the movie he's made that came out closest to what he originally wanted it to be.

therewillbeblus

#240 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:34 pm

I believe it. It’s terrific, and a great/tragic example of audiences refusing to meet a film where it’s at.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#241 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:50 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is a subsection of film fans that hear about what Soderbergh did with that movie who immediately decide that their reaction is "Oh yeah?" and then get the knives out before they even see it. We saw it again a few years later with the Artist

knives

#242 Post by knives » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Hey, I’m in favor of the movie and The Artist.

flyonthewall2983

#243 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:35 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Our cups runneth over with Soderbergh news this week; when he was interviewed for the Ringer's Big Picture podcast, he said that his deal with HBO Max included a clause where all the movies he's made with Warner Bros. have to be remastered.
The Ocean's will no doubt look stunning in 4K.

The Narrator Returns

#246 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:33 pm

He also said in the accompanying email that we can expect the box set in the fourth quarter of the year, directly from his website. The new edit of Kafka in it will be titled Mr. Kneff.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#247 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:12 pm

Interesting, can you copy and paste it here? Does anyone know if he's friendly with Hal Hartley to get some intel on how to do this? That's the only other contemporary director of Soderbergh's I can think of who attempted this same release strategy directly to his audience and seemingly did it right (pressed Blu-rays, albeit at a high price point). Though I imagine Soderbergh will also be going one further and offering an optional or perhaps mandatory UHD box

The Narrator Returns

#248 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm

Now, I hate to jinx this, but while I was perusing Mr/Dr Soderbergh’s private email exchanges I saw evidence of its existence and we all need something to look forward to, so I’m putting it out there: I’m PRETTY SURE that in the fourth quarter of this year Mr/Dr Soderbergh will be making available — through this site — a limited-edition boxed set of seven films that he now controls the rights to and has remastered in 4K HDR (KAFKA, SCHIZOPOLIS, GRAY’S ANATOMY, FULL FRONTAL, BUBBLE, THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE, AND EVERYTHING IS GOING FINE). It appears the KAFKA re-edit will be called MR. KNEFF (both versions will be part of the set), and SCHIZOPOLIS and FULL FRONTAL have been ‘tightened.’ Again, he doesn’t know I know this, so keep this on the DL, yes? Just pretend you never heard about it when he brings it up. Act EXCITED.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#249 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:33 am

The Narrator Returns

#250 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 pm

KIMI building up a fascinating cast; Kravitz, Jacob Vargas returning for his third Soderbergh, comedian Byron Bowers, Jane the Virgin star Jaime Camil, and magician Derek DelGaudio.