Jean-Luc Godard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Red Screamer

Re: Jean-Luc Godard

#1151 Post by Red Screamer » Mon May 15, 2023 6:54 am

The May Cahiers includes more details on Film annonce du film “Drôles de guerres”:
It was completely finished and approved by Godard and it mostly consists of still images like La Jetée, many of them scans of pages of the scrapbook-script Godard put together for the never made Drôles de guerres. Nicole Brenez reports that Godard called it one of his best films and compared its format to glancing at paintings while walking through an art museum.

There’s also a couple images from the film, including one that has one of Godard’s selfies pasted together with a still of the final shot of Ashik Kerib.

beamish14

#1153 Post by beamish14 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:49 pm

Interesting new article on the making of King Lear, with insights from Peter Sellars

accatone

#1157 Post by accatone » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:07 am

I have seen worse-r (is this a word?) documentaries of JLG. Now available on arte FR/DE:
https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/103511-00 ... le-cinema/

therewillbeblus

#1158 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:05 am

Unsurpisingly, Kino Lorber has bought North American distribution rights to Trailer of a Film That Will Never Exist: Phony Wars. They're also apparently planning a theatrical release for the 20-minute short this fall

fiendishthingy

#1159 Post by fiendishthingy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:52 pm

No subtitles, unfortunately, but the Cinémathèque française just posted an 80-minute talk with Godard from 1985.

nowhereisaplace

#1160 Post by nowhereisaplace » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:45 pm

Wow, that’s great, I have never heard of that. It looks like an extension of the series A True History of Cinema and Television he did in Montreal. Interesting is the final note on the program, which is an interesting A/B projector comparison between two films (the first 5 minutes of the 2nd reel of each film), the final extract being exclusive rushes coming from Rock X, presumably the latest Godard film?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it - it looks like this was done to celebrate the publication of Godard on Godard, but I don’t recall a mention of that project in either volume (Volume 2 was published in the late 90’s).

Stefan

#1161 Post by Stefan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:27 am

Thanks for the link to that 80-minute talk with JLG from 1986.
First impression, once again (and again and again with him): Oh my goodness, how intelligent that man was. It's a blessing that we have been around while he was doing his work.

dda1996a

#1162 Post by dda1996a » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:14 pm

Quick reminder, as I can't recall what film and where in it this scene is -
in what Godard film, do we see the musicians/orchestra playing the soundtrack on-screen?
I remember it is in one of the 80's films, but can't remember which one it is, and where in the film the scene takes place (should be the end if I recall correctly).

nowhereisaplace

#1163 Post by nowhereisaplace » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:35 pm

That description could potentially describe more than one of his films, but it sounds like Prenom Carmen.

hearthesilence

#1164 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:01 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:14 pm
Quick reminder, as I can't recall what film and where in it this scene is -
in what Godard film, do we see the musicians/orchestra playing the soundtrack on-screen?
I remember it is in one of the 80's films, but can't remember which one it is, and where in the film the scene takes place (should be the end if I recall correctly).
Every Man for Himself - in the film’s final sequence, an orchestra plays near a highly trafficked roadway.

dwk

#1165 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:32 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:05 am
Unsurpisingly, Kino Lorber has bought North American distribution rights to Trailer of a Film That Will Never Exist: Phony Wars. They're also apparently planning a theatrical release for the 20-minute short this fall
This will be included on Kino's release of the 2022 documentary Godard Cinema which is due out on February 13th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1166 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:16 pm
New work exploring books quoted in Godard films, Reading with Jean-Luc Godard, coming later this year (and co-edited by my former professor, who was obsessed with books shown in films)
Shipping now, and you can get a discount on their earlier Godard book (or the Bazin book if you’re in Canada) by bundling them here

dadaistnun

#1167 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:27 pm

Are there any resources that explore Godard’s use of music, or even just catalogue the music he has used in his films? I’m particularly interested in what I guess I’d call “the ECM era”: For Ever Mozart, Notre Musique, etc. The composers are usually listed in the credits but not the works.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1168 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 pm

Michael Baumgartner’s Metafilm Music in Jean-Luc Godard's Cinema

accatone

#1169 Post by accatone » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:05 am

I guess german language is out of the question but here you go:

Jürg Stenzl, Jean-Luc Godard – musicien. Die Musik in den Filmen von Jean-Luc Godard
https://www.etk-muenchen.de/search/Deta ... 3869160979

Inhaltsverzeichniss / Content (copied 1:1 from the above link):
- Einleitung: Jean-Luc Godard – auch ein Musiker?
- Jean-Luc Godard und seine Komponisten 1959-1967: Martial Solal, Maurice Leroux, Michel Legrand, Philippe Arthuys, Georges Delerue, Paul Misraki, Jean-Jacques Debout, Antoine Duhamel
- For Ever Beethoven: "Charlotte et Véronique", "Il nuovo mondo", "Une Femme mariée", "Made in USA", "Deux ou trois choses que je sais d’elle", "Prénom Carmen", "Liberté et Patrie"
- Politische und musikalische Passionen. Die Filme "ohne Musik": "Le Gai savoir", "Un Film comme les autres", "British Sounds", "Pravda", "Le Vent d'est", "Lotte in Italia", "Vladimir et Rosa", "Tout va bien", "Numéro deux", "Comment ça va" und ein Neubeginn: "Sauve qui peut (la vie)", "Lettre à Freddy Buache", "Passion", "Je vous salue, Marie", "Détective", "Grandeur et décadence d'un petit commerce de cinéma", "Soigne ta droite", "King Lear"
- Musik der Filme in den und während der "Histoire(s) du cinéma": Die Vorgeschichte der "Histoire(s)" seit 1967/68 und die Genese von deren Konzept – Entstehungsgeschichte: 1985-1989, 1993-1998, Wozu, wie und welche Musik in den "Histoire(s)"? Spielfilme während der "Histoire(s)": "Nouvelle Vague", "Allemagne 90 neuf zéro", "Hélas pour moi", "JLG/JLG. Autoportrait de décembre", "Deux fois cinquante ans de cinéma français"
- Filmisches Interpretieren von Musik: Der "Monologue d'Armide" (1987) von Jean-Baptiste Lully und "Dans le noir du temps" (2002) mit Arvo Pärts "Spiegel im Spiegel"
- Alterswerke? "For Ever Mozart", "Éloge de l'amour", "Notre Musique", "The Old Place", "De l'origine du XXIE siècle"
- Anne-Marie Miéville/Jean-Luc Godard: Notre Musique. Projet de film / Unsere Musik. Filmprojekt
- Verschränkte Räume. Ein Gespräch zwischen Hanns Zischler und Christa Blümlinger über "Allemagne 90 neuf zéro"
- Jean-Luc Godard – Filmografie, Bibliografie und Diskografie
- Verzeichnis der Musikbeispiele und Abbildungen
- Register
Film titles should be readable so one gets the idea regarding the scope of the book. Again, german only so probably only of anecdotal relevance for die hard Godardiens around the world. I have the book at home, just in case…

dadaistnun

#1170 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:40 am

Thank you both for the recommendations!

a_digital_index

#1171 Post by a_digital_index » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 am

Just want to share that Ici et Ailleurs and Numero Deux will be screened at Lincoln Center at the end of this month. https://www.filmlinc.org/series/never-l ... 70s/#films

a_digital_index

#1172 Post by a_digital_index » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:25 am

This is definitely Deleuze and is available in print in the collection of interviews with him entitled “Negotiations”. It is a great introduction to Deleuze and film in general. He discusses Renais as the successor to Welles in a very accessible way.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1173 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Film annonce du film qui n'existéra jamais: 'Drôles de guerres', complete with big "PROPERTY OF (studio)" watermark, has leaked and is now circulating around on backchannels

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1174 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:47 am

Besides the watermark, it also has simplified subtitles compared to the version Kino Lorber distributed to theaters, which translates more of the onscreen text and also positions the subtitles to more clearly indicate what's being translated. I assume the theatrical version reflects what they'll release on disc next month.

hearthesilence

#1175 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm

At the beginning of Numéro deux, who is the "Marchand" Godard refers to, the one who's with the State Department in Washington? FWIW, the English subtitles I have unhelpfully replace Marchand's name with "what's-his-name" (even though subtitles in other languages will clearly say "Marchand"). Also the scene makes one appreciate the wordplay Godard packs into his films - in this case, blatantly playing "Marchand" off of "machines" - while making one realize how much is missed in his films if you aren't able to catch any of the words. You can make out what he's doing phonetically, but for someone with no fluency in the language, you might end up tuning out what you're hearing while focusing entirely on the subtitles.