Yasujiro Ozu

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Yasujiro Ozu

#526 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:53 pm

Bought it a week ago from Carlotta, it is indeed a must have for French readers.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#527 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 pm

I wish there was some way of buying this book online that did not require paying $40+ in shipping and handling.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#528 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:02 pm

It's a 1.5kg book so it probably isn't helping...

Hypon

#529 Post by Hypon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking here for quite a while and have genuinely appreciated the insight and knowledge shared by the folks here.

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a screening of Late Autumn in 35mm. This was my first time seeing an Ozu film on the big screen (and in the presence of others). Laughing along to the film with other viewers was a wonderful experience.

When the film started, I was surprised that the image had a much stronger yellow color tint than I was used to. Granted, my prior experiences with Late Autumn have been via the Late Ozu Eclipse DVDs. The look reminded me quite a bit of the Criterion release of Good Morning, which from what I’ve gathered around here is how the film is supposed to appear.

Is this just the way Ozu’s color films are supposed to look? If so, is that just a characteristic of the Agfacolor film that was subsequently altered by Criterion’s release to look more “natural”, or was the color balance of the films stylized in post-production?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#530 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Which Criterion release of Good Morning? The DVD was one of the worst early DVD releases from Criterion in terms of color. The previous video release by HVE (I think) was better. The Blu-ray version was a reasonable looking one, however. (It is very different from the BFI Blu-Ray -- which might get some colors better and probably gets others worse). Alas, it is probably impossible to totally recapture what the film looked like when first projected (under ideal conditions).

Hypon

#531 Post by Hypon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:03 pm
Which Criterion release of Good Morning?
I was specifically thinking of the Blu-ray release.
Knowing how obsessive was about details, it's a little sad that we will never truly experience the films the way he intended. But I'm also thankful that we have such easy access to these great works of art.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#532 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:28 pm

Time changes everything.

Some of the old VHS releases were ghastly. Newy Yorker's video of Equinox Flower was so ugly it made me think I disliked the film. Only when I finally saw a better transfer (the unsubbed Shochiku DVD) did I begin to love it.

Back in the early 2000s seeing Ozu's films was a chore (especially if you wanted subs -- as only 10 or so were subbed) -- and seeing most Naruse was an even more hopeless goal.

artfilmfan

#533 Post by artfilmfan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:48 pm

The Panorama DVDs of Late Autumn and Equinox Flower had the slightly green tint (more so on Equinox Flower). These were the versions I watched more frequently. I don’t feel like checking the unsubbed Japanese DDVs right now. My guess is that they probably look similar to the Panorama DVDs. When I watched the Japanese Blu-rays for the first time and did not see the green tint on these two, I really missed it.

quarksauce

#534 Post by quarksauce » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:33 pm

Does anyone know anything about the budget spent on Ozu films in the making? I can't seem to find this info anywhere, but I am quite curious how it compared to those of other Japanese directors at the time.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#535 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:39 am

My understanding is that Ozu generally got bigger budgets for his films than makers of similar films (like Naruse) but less than Kurosawa. However, both Ozu and Naruse were also known for makiong films in (or under) budget -- unlike Kurosawa. ;-)

ryannichols7

#536 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue May 17, 2022 6:52 pm

so since Criterion seem content to sit on the rights to Ozu's films in the US and not upgrade their titles to the new 4K transfers and Ben from BFI basically told me to keep dreaming regarding any more BFI releases (they didn't sell, evidently, though BFI never released Early Spring or Tokyo Twilight on BD), I'm thinking of picking up the Shochiku releases from Japan. yesasia says they all have English subtitles, can anyone speak to the translations on them? anyone have these discs? I envy the french having that nice Carlotta boxset with the new restorations.

English friendly, 1949- Ozu:
Late Spring - CC/BFI use earlier master, not new restoration, which is only available through Shochiku
The Munekata Sisters - who knows what's going on with this? supposedly owned by Toho but it's basically the one surviving film not on the Criterion channel, also the only surviving film I haven't seen
Early Summer - 4K restoration only via Shochiku
The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice - Criterion/BFI released 4K restoration
Tokyo Story - BFI released 4K restoration
Early Spring - 4K restoration only via Shochiku
Tokyo Twilight - 4K restoration only via Shochiku
Equinox Flower - 4K restoration only via Shochiku
Good Morning - CC released 4K restoration
Floating Weeds - owned by Kadokawa, who have restored in 4K, but their Japan BD does not contain English subs according to listing.
Late Autumn - 4K restoration only via Shochiku
The End of Summer - owned by Toho, NOT restored as of this post
An Autumn Afternoon - CC released 4K restoration

any insight is appreciated. Ozu is my favorite director, and it's a little frustrating being a fan/completionist, since unlike Kurosawa, his 'major' films have largely been restored and are ready to go. but Criterion seems content with channel dumping/leaving major titles on Eclipse, and the BFI don't think they'll make enough money to sell (even though they would be the first English-friendly BD releases of Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight, if nothing else, so I'm sure there would be a good chunk of US importers), so we're in a tough predicament.

hearthesilence

#537 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 17, 2022 7:59 pm

I actually prefer the BFI's old An Autumn Afternoon. It doesn't have the improved detail of the 4K restoration, but regardless of accuracy the color palette on the 4K restoration just takes me out of the film.

ryannichols7

#538 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:59 pm
I actually prefer the BFI's old An Autumn Afternoon. It doesn't have the improved detail of the 4K restoration, but regardless of accuracy the color palette on the 4K restoration just takes me out of the film.
I haven't picked this up just yet, but definitely will as it's the only way to get A Hen in the Wind physically. will definitely compare, but I will say the Autumn Afternoon CC disc is my least favorite of the blurays released so far anyway. I do think Good Morning looks wonderful

andyli

#539 Post by andyli » Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 pm

Carlotta has released what appears to be an HD transfer of The End of Summer on blu-ray.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:52 pm
(even though they would be the first English-friendly BD releases of Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight, if nothing else, so I'm sure there would be a good chunk of US importers)
If by "English friendly" you mean English subtitle for the main feature, Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight do have English subs on their Shochiku releases.

ryannichols7

#540 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue May 17, 2022 10:54 pm

andyli wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 pm
Carlotta has released what appears to be an HD transfer of The End of Summer on blu-ray.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:52 pm
(even though they would be the first English-friendly BD releases of Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight, if nothing else, so I'm sure there would be a good chunk of US importers)
If by "English friendly" you mean English subtitle for the main feature, Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight do have English subs on their Shochiku releases.
I do somewhat contradict myself. they are English friendly, yes, but aren't as accessibly available ($43 on Yesasia isn't the worst, but it's not exactly Criterion or BFI pricing), nor do they have English supplements of any kind. do you have the releases? able to comment on the translation at all?

at this point I'd take an HD remaster of End of Summer. it's a grossly overlooked film that I worry will go by the wayside

RobertB

#541 Post by RobertB » Wed May 18, 2022 5:10 pm

I have the Shochiku releases of Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, Early Spring, Tokyo Twilight. I was happy enough about "Green Tea" not to buy it again from BFI or Criterion. No Japanese low contrast on these. I just watched the first 10 minutes of Tokyo Twilight. Someone has done a good job with the translation. It's translating Japanese geography, food, and done with better English than you usually get from Japanese releases.
- Mister, fancy a drink?
- Well, I can't say no.

ryannichols7

#542 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:16 am

RobertB wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:10 pm
I have the Shochiku releases of Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, Early Spring, Tokyo Twilight. I was happy enough about "Green Tea" not to buy it again from BFI or Criterion. No Japanese low contrast on these. I just watched the first 10 minutes of Tokyo Twilight. Someone has done a good job with the translation. It's translating Japanese geography, food, and done with better English than you usually get from Japanese releases.
- Mister, fancy a drink?
- Well, I can't say no.
thank you for this!!

so I did just get Early Summer, Early Spring, and my favorite, Equinox Flower all in the mail from the insanely quick Yesasia free shipping. improbably, they sent me the deluxe edition of Early Summer (pictured here), which as a student of Japanese and lover of Ozu I couldn't be more grateful for. may have to use this as an opportunity to write out the script myself in Japanese, annotate it, etc...such a cool concept and I'm now going to have to hunt down the equivalent editions of Late Spring and Tokyo Story for sure.

but I did a test run on the disc for Early Summer and it's absolutely stunning. the BFI obviously did what they could with a DVD era master, but this 4K restoration is such a dramatic improvement. that shot early on where you see a hillside neighborhood with the train running through it absolutely blew me away - the level of detail is mindblowing. as noted, the subtitle translations are awesome and the disc had really nice subtitles as well, no yellow or shouted/all caps titles, it just all flowed together really nicely. I can't wait to check out Early Spring (an underrated favorite of mine) and then work backwards to Late Spring. will be showing Equinox Flower to dustybooks this weekend so we can really be knocked out by the color restoration - he has yet to see a 4K restoration of a color Ozu, I was really moved by Criterion's Good Morning disc as noted above. now it's even more painful that Kadokawa didn't follow Shochiku's lead and put english subs on their Floating Weeds disc, one hopes Criterion will miraculously see the light after they release 20 more Lynch and Scorcese films and upgrade that one!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#543 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:34 am

Glad to hear the new editions are a visual success -- have they improved their handling (stopped their mis-handling) of the sound?

diamonds

#544 Post by diamonds » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:50 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:34 am
Glad to hear the new editions are a visual success -- have they improved their handling (stopped their mis-handling) of the sound?
A few of these are up on Blah-ray and it looks like with the exception of Equinox Flower the Shochiku releases are all mishandled.

Equinox Flower – "The 2014 Shochiku blu-ray of the 4K Shochiku restoration generally sounds better than the BFI blu-ray (which sounds exactly the same as the Criterion DVD)."

Early Summer – "the audio is utterly devoid of all vitality"

Tokyo Twilight – "... the new Shochiku blu-ray is much, much worse."

Tokyo Story – "The audio track from Shochiku's latest restoration that's available on the newest BFI and Carlotta blu-rays sounds even more aggressively noise-reduced than the 2013 blu-rays"

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#545 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:31 am

I wonder if sound-wise the BFI releases remain the best (current) option overall?

ryannichols7

#546 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:47 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:34 am
yeah admittedly, I'm not the best judge of this - I don't even have a surround setup (will get one when I move to my new place)! so I think the above post definitely covers this well, shame that Shochiku felt the need to "restore" the films as they did.

Equinox Flower being my favorite is luck, and props to the BFI for including the 'unrestored' track for Green Tea (another favorite), but I must confess image is the biggest priority for me, so this is how I'll likely watch the films going forward. the site singles out Good Morning as well, and that sounded totally fine to me, if you want to know how useless I am for this sort of thing. the only time with Ozu where I notice sound being bad if it's a case like Toda Family where it's impossible to hear stuff or some of the other pre-war talkies.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#547 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:40 pm

Toda Family is probably a hopeless case. The surviving sound is bad -- and attempts to "fix" it have only made it (usually much) worse.

ryannichols7

#548 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:54 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:40 pm
Toda Family is probably a hopeless case. The surviving sound is bad -- and attempts to "fix" it have only made it (usually much) worse.
I remember this being the case, there are multiple scenes where you really can't hear anything. a real shame, but its better than the film not existing I guess..I don't find it to be one of the stronger ones anyway at least.

reviving this thread as A Hen in the Wind was 4K restored by Shochiku and played Venice. really nice to see them dip into the pre-1949 catalog, I'd love to see Tenement Gentleman get the same treatment among others. considering they advertise further restorations, I have to assume more are coming. I'll be on the lookout from Shochiku's twitter feeds in regards to a home video release for Hen, hopefully by the end of the year

here is the poster, spoilered for size:
SpoilerShow

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#549 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:43 am

Can one dare to hope that the remasteed Hen in the Wind will ever get a US release?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#550 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:09 pm

Out of the five Ozu's Criterion released on Blu-ray, only one was new to disc in the US. The last Ozu released is already three years ago now and I stopped holding on Criterion releasing more of his films. I'm at least happy the Shochiku editions in Japan are fully subtitled and hope A Hen in the Wind is next.