Don Hertzfeldt

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Shanzam

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#101 Post by Shanzam » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:19 pm

I was so excited when I first (accidentaly) discovered the trilogy. Probably because I didn't expect it to be as good as it was (based on animation style). The only animation director I enjoy more is Adam Elliot.

colinr0380

#102 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:38 am

A nice video on the Simpson's intro and Hertzfeldt's work in general.

The most interesting thing about this video is the way that it talks about the wider Simpsons series retrofitting its history in order to keep the characters immortally unchanging in the present (instead the past always has to keep moving to show the characters as youngsters in the 1970s, then 1980s, then 1990s, etc). In a sense by virtue of its longevity the Simpsons has had to (unconsciously or semi-consciously?) grapple with some of the major themes of Hertzfeldt's work, particularly the problems of immortality degrading one's original existence. Or more charitably distilling it down into its essence, which loses a lot of the specificities of context and situation but clings tenaciously on to core tenets of character?

In a way the Simpsons characters having their backstories updated to take place in the 90s makes sense if we think of the Simpsons characters as an ageless shell (or mouthpiece) for the sensibilities of a new group of writers. Whilst the Simpson characters will forever remain static, the people writing their stories behind the scenes have changed enormously, and now we have people writing for whom a 1990s High School upbringing was their past that they want to explore, as much as the 1970s one was back in the first flashback episodes of the show. Like the various clones of Emily (or like the bear in the Waldo Moment episode of Black Mirror), the mouthpiece is less important than the changeable philosophy of the people pulling the levers behind the eyes, doing so for different reasons from their different historical perspectives.

therewillbeblus

#103 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Email for those who added It's Such a Beautiful Day blu-ray to their orders (I found it in my 'promotions' tab rather than direct inbox, not sent directly from Hertzfeldt but on his behalf):
Hi everybody!

For anyone expecting an "It's Such Beautiful Day" Bluray in their reward tier (or have added it on), please take note there's a chance we'll need to send that one to you in a separate package in a few weeks. We're about to totally run out of copies of that Bluray and unexpected supply chain woes have delayed the new ones from arriving in time.

If we run out of stock by the time we process your "World of Tomorrow" rewards, we'll include one of the older "Don Hertzfeldt Volume 2" DVDs in your package for free while you wait.

We've also made a few improvements to the incoming edition of the "It's Such Beautiful Day" Blu, using the revised master created for the Criterion Channel. But before you ask, please don't request this edition in lieu of the current edition as we have very little control over who gets what :)

We expect to have these in stock to ship again sometime in late December or January.

agnamaracs

#104 Post by agnamaracs » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:12 pm

The big question: how do you tell them apart?

lzx

#105 Post by lzx » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:13 pm

My best guess is that the new printing won't have the booklet and postcard included in the first?

I'm more curious about what differences there are between the two masters. I haven't compared my Blu with the version on the Criterion Channel - hoping it's not another case of revisionist grading ala WKW...

Glowingwabbit

#106 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:38 pm

I just received the package by surprise today. No notice. I got the DVD so I guess I'll be getting the newer blu-ray at some point.

therewillbeblus

#107 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:38 pm
I just received the package by surprise today. No notice. I got the DVD so I guess I'll be getting the newer blu-ray at some point.
Same deal here. Happy I'll be getting the upgraded blu-ray, but bummed I didn't get a random book

J Wilson

#108 Post by J Wilson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:52 pm

I received my blu-ray along with a pack of stickers today. Already had the other blu-ray so I’ll be curious if there’s any noticeable difference.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#109 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:16 pm

Glowingwabbit

#110 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:31 pm

I was one of those waiting on It's Such a Beautiful Day from his Kickstarter. My copy arrived today with no shipping notice.

therewillbeblus

#111 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:38 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:31 pm
I was one of those waiting on It's Such a Beautiful Day from his Kickstarter. My copy arrived today with no shipping notice.
Same here, so at least they're making the rounds in MA