Richard Quine

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Monkey Ballz

Re: Richard Quine

#26 Post by Monkey Ballz » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Seen about ten of Quine's films, found them all interesting enough to watch more than once. Never met a single person - male, female, old, young - who didn't like Bell, Book & Candle.

But the one I find most interesting is Strangers When We Meet. Makes a potent double-feature with the also undervalued No Down Payment. Both explore the transitional aspects of the post-WWII economy/real estate/nuclear family milieu to great, sometimes troubling effect, though they do so in tellingly different ways. There's a kind of dreamy undertow in both films... the suburbs used to be a place where honest working class people could afford to live peacefully, aspirationally, and we can see and experience that, generations later and bittersweetly, in both films. But there are elements of unease - a few too many drinks, unfaithful husbands, bored wives, PTSD, hyper kids, etc. - without resorting to the moronic simplicity of the last thirty years of post-Sundance "SUBURBS = BAD" finger wagging.

NDP has, I think, the better cast (one of the best ensemble casts of the 1950s -- especially the women) and the better script. But it's more conservative; as handsomely well-made as it is, it could still work as television drama or even a stage play. SWWM on the other hand compares to Antonioni or Michael Mann's use of architecture and space to express its themes (sometimes almost too literally). Like those later films, the characters in Quine's movie often seem lost or overwhelmed by their built surroundings. This risks being overly schematic, but Quine balances the emotion and ideas in a way that is just as affecting as Ritt's more traditional work. I Love them both.

Now, who owns Strangers When We Meet and why isn't it on Blu-ray?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Monkey Ballz wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm
Seen about ten of Quine's films, found them all interesting enough to watch more than once. Never met a single person - male, female, old, young - who didn't like Bell, Book & Candle.
Hi

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Monkey Ballz wrote:
Now, who owns Strangers When We Meet and why isn't it on Blu-ray?
Sony/Columbia I believe, and a perfect fit for Indicator I should think

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm

It was inexplicably left out of Sony’s Kim Novak collection on DVD, though, so I’m not sure what is going on with it

The Fanciful Norwegian

#30 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 pm

It's not listed on Sony's site for repertory bookings (or on the site for Park Circus, which handles their non-U.S. bookings). It's jointly copyrighted by Quine and Douglas's production companies so maybe there's a snag there.

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:56 pm

I don't care much for Bell, Book & Candle either, but Strangers When We Meet seems like the kind of movie any boutique label should be interested in, so I'd hope someone would get around to it eventually if there isn't too much red tape

Monkey Ballz

#32 Post by Monkey Ballz » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:56 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm
Monkey Ballz wrote:
Hi
I've never met you... and now I don't want to.