Glauber Rocha

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

knives

Re: Glauber Rocha

#26 Post by knives » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Certainly if they could wrangle the rights to any one of his films they could get Scorsese to film an appreciation or even just buy out one of the ones he's already done and plaster his name all over the marketing. These films should be very easy to sell to even casual viewers (now to get them to go for a second serving is a whole other matter).

zedz

#27 Post by zedz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Stick Black God, White Devil and Antonio das Mortes together as a double feature, or paired releases. They're the two films with the highest international profile (for what it's worth!), there's the (slightly dubious, but what the hell) spaghetti western angle, and you can rope in Scorsese to wax crazily enthusiastic. That's probably the best chance Rocha would have if Criterion were bold enough to take the plunge.

SpiderBaby

#28 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 am

GOOD NEWS! Versatil responds to questions by customers left on the Versatil site, and they wrote (again, had to translate it since I can't read Portuguese) but it said they are releasing Der Leone Have Sept Cabeças in the 2nd half (which obviously means this year) and it WILL BE THE RESTORED VERSION.

Maybe, since they have been putting out blu-rays, this could be the first Rocha blu-ray and still keep up with them being region-free.

SpiderBaby

#29 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:36 am

Also, I don't know how old this is, but I have read that "Koch-Lorber films" will (I take it, "would of") be releasing Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol for the first time in the U.S. on dvd (same site shows Los Olvidados). Wonder what is with that now? On IMDB, the "distributors" for the U.S. says New Yorker Films.

dengelke

#30 Post by dengelke » Tue May 22, 2012 3:37 pm

zedz,

Thanks for all your insights on Rocha. As I'm sure you know, the research is quite exhausting.

I just finished 'Antonio das Mortes' and can't help but think how much young Fassbinder admired him.

Perhaps I missed it, but do you know if Pasolini and Rocha had any correspondence? As we hear from the narrator in the 'Idada da Terra' trailer(presumably Rocha), he calls Pasolini(deservingly) "The grand poet of Italian cinema."

Thanks in advance!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#31 Post by Drucker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:37 pm

zedz

#32 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:56 pm

There's a Rocha thread from years ago where I believe I went through all of his available films. This is a really interesting and impressive film, but I probably like it the least of his pre-exile features. He's a highly original filmmaker, so comparisons would likely be misleading.

Cronenfly

#33 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Here's that wild Scorsese interview on Rocha: Part 1 Part 2

I've given up on finding the Brazilian discs for a reasonable price, are the Mr. Bongo discs worth picking up, especially given that no new/improved editions seem forthcoming?

knives

#34 Post by knives » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 pm

They're well made/ presented if you are willing to deal with Bongo's shadiness.

RitrovataBlue

#35 Post by RitrovataBlue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 pm

I tagged Criterion and Kino’s Twitter accounts in a tweet asking whether Black God, White Devil and the rest of Rocha’s work would ever get a decent release. Kino responded, “We’ve been working on a Glauber Rocha project for several years but it’s been held up. Hope to have some news soon!” Sounds like we might be getting a Joachim Pedro de Andrade-esque complete works package on Blu-Ray soon. Having spent $75 a pop on three Rocha DVDs from Brazil several years ago and fallen in love with his work, I’m eager to finally see it with a proper restoration.

Cremildo

#36 Post by Cremildo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm

That would be most welcome. His filmography was restored and released on DVD in the 2000s by our best boutique label (Versátil), but his widescreen films were not anamorphic.

SpiderBaby

#37 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:37 pm

Hope it would include the films he did in Europe.

Been waiting for Versatil to release their dvd of Der Leone Have Sept Cabecas, for what, a decade now.

Cremildo

#38 Post by Cremildo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:24 am

SpiderBaby wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:37 pm
Been waiting for Versatil to release their dvd of Der Leone Have Sept Cabecas, for what, a decade now.
They did in 2011, but it was a very limited release. I was lucky enough to obtain a copy when it was briefly available to buy online. It can still be found on Mercado Livre, though it's scalper prices.

SpiderBaby

#39 Post by SpiderBaby » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:12 am

Thanks, I've ran across that before, but always thought it was a boot. Didn't know they had a limited release. Guess I'll wait to see what Kino brings (assuming it's just the Brazilian films that I own already, but still great news on that front), and then decide to shell out for that price for the dvd.

L.A.

#41 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Well alright. Hopefully a Blu-ray from Versátil, their earlier DVD from many years ago was great.

Wouldn’t say no to The Red Light Bandit. The DVD looked stunning and was fully English-friendly released in 2010 or 2011. O Cangaceiro also had a DVD in 2011 (I think) but looked terrible, although the extras were substantial. Both also from Versátil.