The 1961 Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
knives

Re: The 1961 Mini-List

#101 Post by knives » Tue May 17, 2022 7:55 pm

Red Screamer wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:35 pm
I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you since I'm sure it's not all that entertaining to read.
I’m sorry to hear that as I’m getting a lot of value from this conversation. That said I would like to be able to revisit the Taking Power extra again before furthering my argument as it is clear I am not fully remembering what Rossellini did rather than use a proper zoom lens. I am remembering the trick shot discussion perfectly as, as you point out, the point the speaker was making was specifically the embarrassment over Rossellini not realizing it was a zoom shot.

ryannichols7

Re: The 1961 Mini-List

#102 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:00 am

I bombed it and forgot to vote...was my birthday weekend (was with dustybooks, actually, who did get his ballot in) but I know, no excuse. if anyone was curious this would've been my ballot, which would've bumped a few things up I'm sure:
SpoilerShow
13 blast of silence
12 victim
11 yojimbo
10 the innocents
09 lola
08 pigs and battleships
07 dog star man
06 viridiana
05 il posto
04 the devil's trap
03 la notte
02 the end of summer
01 last year at marienbad
but alas. I am glad to see Ozu get some votes after my plea above for others to watch it and vote for it. hopefully I won't be the only voter for it again in the orphan rescue round at the end of he year!

anyway, I did watch Pigs and Battleships and really enjoyed it, I had only seen Venegance is Mine beforehand and it was cool to go back for Imamura (and I'll continue following his works as well as check out Stolen Desire and Nishi-Ginza Station) and see this. I think this is the right amount of Japanese satire for me - I think Masumura's films (at least Giants and Toys and Black Test Car) don't go far enough with it, and I think Oshima's films are often too bleak/brutal for me. this was the right amount of it, with really good commentary about Japanese/American relationships at the time and the darker side of post-war, newly modernizing Japan. really good ending too, again to reference Oshima I feel his endings are a little too brutal (I watched Cruel Story of Youth for 1960 and felt it was way too unforgiving, but then again that's right there in the title), whereas Imamura left us with lovely ambiguity.

but hey, as much fun as ballots and polls are, it's all about the movies themselves and our enjoyment of them, and for that I was grateful for this. I'm gonna set a reminder for '62!