The First Features List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Mr Sausage

Re: The First Features List

#226 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:16 pm

If it helps, I would’ve voted for both Hereditary and The Return if I’d remembered they were first features.

senseabove

#227 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:49 pm

My most surprising orphans are Tsai's Rebels... and Visconti's Ossessione. I can't believe I forgot They Live by Night, and I thought Llinas' Extraordinary Stories was disqualified or else I would've voted for it...

therewillbeblus

#228 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:14 pm

It wasn't disqualified per se, but this list in general became a more liberal Vote For It personalized criteria. Technically there was a doc that came out earlier, but same with Soderbergh, and sex, lies, and videotape wasn't orphaned. I believe the same went for Pee-Wee, Paris Belongs to Us, and certainly The Mother and the Whore, from just my own list. I also thought it was established earlier in the thread that On the Town wouldn't count because Donen didn't stay partnered with Kelly as a director's team (hence why Ce soir ou jamais was the Deville voted for and not Une balle dans le canon) but that made the main list!