VOTE OR THE: the Criterion Forum Dot Org Goes International

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

VOTE OR THE: the Criterion Forum Dot Org Goes International

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Vote for all of the international stars you’d like to see qualify for a list project! Pulled from the patented combination of suggestions from the forum and people no one asked for, metrics for inclusion were at least three decades of film work, some variance in on-screen projects, work in multiple international cinemas, and the likelihood of discussion. The winner and runner up will both receive lists. In the event there is a tie in second place, the runner up winner will be decided by me, domino harvey, from amongst the tied contenders. In the event three or more stars tie for first, I will pick the two we discuss from the tied contenders. Fascism, in my international star list project voting thread?

I do ask for your username in the survey to prevent multiple votes, but no one but me will ever see it, but don’t audit me bro.

Voting will be closed when the Preminger list ends, so June something

tl;dr: VOTE HERE

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: VOTE OR THE: the Criterion Forum Dot Org Goes International

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm

You of course are all welcome to vote for whoever you want, but Michel Piccoli is easily who I'm pulling for the most here. I literally conceived of the entire star project by thinking of how great and far-reaching a survey you could do of decades of film using only his movies. So, y'know, vote your conscience

knives

#3 Post by knives » Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Welp, I did my part to ensure confusion and failure which is to say I voted with Dom’s conscience.
Last edited by knives on Sat May 15, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:13 pm

You do both realise that you'll have to watch Topaz (again!) if Piccoli wins? And also Themroc and La Grande Bouffe? And Genealogies of a Crime and Atlantic City?

Come to think of it, he'd be a great choice!

knives

#5 Post by knives » Sat May 15, 2021 9:55 pm

I mostly like Topaz.

Maltic

#6 Post by Maltic » Sun May 16, 2021 12:42 am

I was hoping for Tony Leung. :(

But other than that, great options. Thank you, Dictator Domino.

I fall behind with these lists anyway. :oops:

Randall Maysin

#7 Post by Randall Maysin » Sun May 16, 2021 5:12 pm

I dunno if this is possible or meets the guidelines or whatever or how to vote or what my name is or how to walk properly or know anything, really, but maybe an interesting choice would be Vanessa Redgrave, on account of how she is the greatest film actress of all time, and certainly quite overexposed. And as all but a handful of her films are more or less shite, it would really devolve around which of her performances are best rather than the films (probably/for the most part). Just an idea.

EDIT: Oops I guess i somehow missed the big VOTE HERE button in like size a hundred font!

knives

#8 Post by knives » Sun May 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Totally irrelevant but I count at least twenty great on their own merit films featuring her.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

But will there be the danger of running across one that makes us quote the immortal Sideshow Bob line: "I know that voice! TV's bottomless chum bucket has claimed Vanessa Redgrave!"

knives

#10 Post by knives » Wed May 19, 2021 6:06 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:40 pm

You have until Wednesday to vote if you haven't already done so. The current top two have been the top two since this survey went live (though not always in the same rank), but there's a close-by outlier in third which could potentially overtake the number two spot. All three are primarily associated with the same country

Maltic

#12 Post by Maltic » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:40 pm
You have until Wednesday to vote if you haven't already done so. The current top two have been the top two since this survey went live (though not always in the same rank), but there's a close-by outlier in third which could potentially overtake the number two spot. All three are primarily associated with the same country

So no Jackie :cry:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:03 am

The winner and first subject of our International Star List is Catherine Deneuve. Her list will start in July after the First Features List. The runner-up, Michel Piccoli, will have his list in April of next year!

The top five was all French, btw...

Maltic

#14 Post by Maltic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 am