A 2010s List for Those That Couldn't Wait

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
bamwc2

Re: A 2010s List for Those That Can't Wait

#301 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:39 pm

brundlefly wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:29 am
Have you seen Isa Mazzei and Daniel Goldhaber's Cam? Feel I should bang the drum for that one again, though not necessarily for this project. Written by a former sex worker and definitely feels invested/inhabited with/by her concerns. (Assume as you mentioned Tangerine before that you've also seen Sean Baker's Starlet, which is better, but also obviously very different.)
Thanks. Like I said elsewhere, I didn't watch many new films this past decade, which is the main reason why I hit this project so hard in the last couple of months. I did, however, watch Cam last year at the recommendation of a fellow philosopher/film buff who also thought it'd go well with my interests. I liked it, but not as much as he did. I watched Tangerine for the project and thought it was fantastic. I did notice that Starlet is on Mubi, but forgot to watch it. I wish I had watched it instead of some of the other dreck I saw.

therewillbeblus

#302 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm

bamwc2 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:39 pm
I did notice that Starlet is on Mubi, but forgot to watch it. I wish I had watched it instead of some of the other dreck I saw.
I think it's on Netflix, and it's Baker's best film

bamwc2

#303 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm
bamwc2 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:39 pm
I did notice that Starlet is on Mubi, but forgot to watch it. I wish I had watched it instead of some of the other dreck I saw.
I think it's on Netflix, and it's Baker's best film
Thanks. I just double checked. Mubi has it right now, but Netflix doesn't. I really need to get some other things done that I've been putting off, but I'll check it out during the orphan rescue round.

therewillbeblus

#304 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Oh weird, maybe it's a very recent drop. I recommended it to a friend just the other week and he watched it no problem- and is one of those people who basically sticks to the basic streaming sites (not MUBI).

bottled spider

#305 Post by bottled spider » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:07 pm

bamwc2 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:01 am
Monsieur Lazhar (Philippe Falardeau, 2011): We follow a child making his way through the snow covered Quebec elementary school in the beginning of Philippe Falardeau's Monsieur Lazhar. The boy seems to be in the midst of an ordinary school day as he, the first one to enter the classroom, finds his sixth grade teacher hanging from a noose. She's killed herself, leaving a void in her student's lives bigger than a missing instructor. Before the week is over, a man introducing himself as Bachir Lazhar (Mohamed Fellag) volunteers his services to the school's principle. As he explains it, he's an Algerian transplant who has more than twenty years worth of teaching experience in his home country. He loves children and wants to continue his previous profession. With no other option, he's brought on to finish the school year where he tends to the lives and education of the emotionally wounded children. At the same time, Bachir has his own trauma. It turns out that he's a refugee in search of asylum, not a permanent resident. His wife published an essay in Algeria that made them the target of extremists. He fled to Canada first in order to clear the way for his wife and two daughters, but the three of them were murdered before they could escape. Films about healing from personal loss can walk a fine line between earned emotion and mawkishness. Fortunately, Monsieur Lazhar mostly falls on the more realistic end of the spectrum as there are no sudden breakthroughs or emotional epiphanies that feel unearned.
SpoilerShow
Yes, Simon (Émilien Néron) admits that he lied about their dead teaching forcing a kiss on him, but it seems the organic result of the growth he experienced throughout the film.
The film works hard to earn its resolution, and takes us on a wonderful journey to reach it.
I think I'll give this one a go. However often my prejudices are disconfirmed, I retain this terribly Canadian habit of discounting Canadian things. Falardeau has somehow flown under the radar for me -- I see that he's made a few films with well known actors (The Good Lie with Reese Witherspoon, My Salinger Year with Margaret Qualley & Sigourney Weaver, and the star-studded Chuck, none of which I'd heard of before). I won't read it myself until I've watched the film, but here is James Bowman's favourable review of Monsieur Lazhar.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#306 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:26 am

For some reason I had it in my head that the Round 1 deadline was a little further off but IT'S THIS SUNDAY, PEOPLE. You can of course submit a list between the Round 1 and Round 2 deadlines, but then you may not benefit as much from the orphan rescue round. As a reminder, I will accept any revisions to your originally submitted lists up until the Round 2 deadline on May 23

Ghersh

#307 Post by Ghersh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:29 am

I've just sent you my list.

Some random fun facts:

- No shorts or documentaries

- Two superhero films, one of which is most definitely going to be an orphan despite being the only real recommendation I've posted in this thread.

- Most directors have one entry, but two have three each and both their respective best films are Canadian but couldn't be more different.

- Remarkably many romantic films with at least one straight, gay and lesbian romance each.

- Most entries are from the beginning or the second half of the deacde, very few from 2012 and 2013.

- Some actors who appear more than once are Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Robert Pattinson and Jake Gyllenhaal.

- Running times between 75 minutes and 18 hours.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#308 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am

Just submitted my list. Contains one music video, one short, one Everything is Terrible compilation, two "miniseries", three titles composed solely of first names back to back in the top ten, three Best Picture winners, and four films starring Emma Stone (but not the one she won the Oscar for)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#309 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:42 pm

Ghersh wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:29 am
Some random fun facts:

- No shorts or documentaries
That's not very fun. So many wonderful shorts to choose from

Ghersh

#310 Post by Ghersh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
Just submitted my list. Contains one music video, one short, one Everything is Terrible compilation, two "miniseries", three titles composed solely of first names back to back in the top ten, three Best Picture winners, and four films starring Emma Stone (but not the one she won the Oscar for)
No La La Land, so I guess Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love, Birdman and the Favourite. Unless you're a fan of her Woody Allen films. Or Spider-Man. Or the super turkey Gangster Squad... :P

I don't care too much About the Oscar, but just for fun did a quick research. I also have three Oscar Best Picture winners, but only if we also count Best Foreign Language Picture.
swo17 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:42 pm
Perhaps I prefer meals to snacks? :wink: Well, I haven't seen many shorts and if I did I can still see myself prefering great 90 minute entertainment over great 6 minute entertainment, if that makes sense.

therewillbeblus

#311 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:32 pm

Guesses for domino's clues:
SpoilerShow
Music video: Lele Pons - Celoso
Short: Tout le monde a raison
Everything is Terrible: Everything is Terrible! Does the Hip-Hop
"Miniseries": The Young Pope and Maniac
Titles of First Names: Caprice, Amanda, Jackie
Best Pic Winners: Birdman, Parasite, The Artist
Emma Stone: Birdman, Maniac, The Favourite, Magic in the Moonlight

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#312 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Ghersh wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:54 pm
swo17 wrote:
Perhaps I prefer meals to snacks? :wink: Well, I haven't seen many shorts and if I did I can still see myself prefering great 90 minute entertainment over great 6 minute entertainment, if that makes sense.
Well for example here's a pretty crazy short someone else voted for which goes into territory most narrative features wouldn't dare tread

knives

#313 Post by knives » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Ghersh wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
No La La Land, so I guess Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love, Birdman and the Favourite. Unless you're a fan of her Woody Allen films. Or Spider-Man. Or the super turkey Gangster Squad... :P

I don't care too much About the Oscar, but just for fun did a quick research. I also have three Oscar Best Picture winners, but only if we also count Best Foreign Language Picture.
swo17 wrote:
A truly great short is no snack and certainly can be more filling than even the greatest films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#314 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Correction: I now have two shorts on my list because swo reminded me of one I needed to include. The bloodthirst has already gone to his head!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#315 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:52 pm

SpoilerShow
Surely the other short is Cat City

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#316 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Indeed. The perfect #50 vote!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#317 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Ghersh

#318 Post by Ghersh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:25 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 pm
Well for example here's a pretty crazy short someone else voted for which goes into territory most narrative features wouldn't dare tread
Actually I remember an amateur short on Vimeo which a colleague once showed me, two guys he knew made it. They're hiking in the mountains and then stuff happens, leading into one of the craziest and silliest thing I've ever seen. I see right now it's even been made public, so if you want to take a look:

https://vimeo.com/292499526

But hey, I promise you if I ever participate in a 1960s list project there would be a music video.

therewillbeblus

#319 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:01 pm

In case anyone wants to play, my top ten:

-Three films that take place entirely during eras from the last millennium (and each is predominantly contained within separate, but adjacent, decades), helmed by three distinct filmmakers who all have anticipated films ostensibly coming out this year
-Only two entirely non-English language films from neighboring countries and in the same language, and one foreign production primarily in the English language but taking place primarily outside the U.S. in a city-state
-Two films taking place in MA, involving kids coping with respective crises; one is more obviously MA-based and the kid is not the central focus, one is less obviously MA-based and the kids are the central focus; both are contemporary but only the latter is heavily emblematic of Gen Z culture
-Two films about characters who are musicians starting in their youth; one a comic-inspired comedy, the other a bifurcated tragedy

If going by IMDb release dates, only six decades are represented; if going by my top ten lists, seven are. Also I have no BP winners on my list of 50.

zedz

#320 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 pm
Ghersh wrote:
swo17 wrote:
Well, that was awesome. Thanks for sharing (and thanks to whoever voted for it).

zedz

#321 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:06 pm

Fun(?) facts for my top ten:

The average length of the films in my top ten is 263 minutes. if that sounds ridiculous, the average length of the films in my bottom ten is 278 minutes, and that includes three shorts!

The titles in my top ten include four animals and three place names. Two of the films sound much jollier than the actually are.
Last edited by zedz on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#322 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:24 pm

zedz wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:06 pm
Fun(?) facts for my top ten:

The average length of the films in my top ten is 263 minutes. if that sounds ridiculous, the average length of the films in my bottom ten is 278 minutes, and that includes three shorts!

The titles in my top ten includes four animals and three place names. Two of the films sound much jollier than the actually are.
I'm just guessing without doing the math (partly because I can never remember what La flor's actual runtime is, which is listed as different across the internet)
SpoilerShow
Animals: An Elephant Sitting Still, The Turin Horse, Fish and Cat (I'm betting this counts as two animals)
Places: The Ancient Woods, Cemetery of Splendour, Mysteries of Lisbon
Two films that sound jolly but aren't: Happy Hour, My Joy

I'm also betting that La Flor is in there. And Faces Places (though not counting as a name of a place).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#323 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:36 pm

The funnest fact I can think of right now is that four people have voted for films with "cat" in the title. One of those people even voted for two such films.

As a reminder, if any of you would like to revise your lists to include more cat films, you can do so at any time, up until the Round 2 deadline

therewillbeblus

#324 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Does "Foxcatcher" count?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#325 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:41 pm

Yes