The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
colinr0380

Re: The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

#2276 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:32 am

Our House (Anthony Scott Burns, 2018)

After finding out about the short films and music of Anthony Scott Burns a little while ago I tracked down his debut feature Our House and gave it a watch. This turns out to be more a film about coming to terms with loss and moving on (for everyone's sake) than a horror film particularly, although the final act does take a turn for the overtly scary and spooky.

The plot involves college kid Ethan doing experiments to try and discover a potentially groundbreaking source of harnessing and transmitting electrical signals but who finds his life upended when his parents die in an accident and he has to leave college (and his girlfriend/co-inventor) behind and take a customer service job in an electronics store to support his younger brother and sister and keep the house going. A lot of the first section of the film is about everyone in the family being trapped in stultifying routines of trying to continue life as it was in the 'before times' and prevent too much more upheaval for the youngsters. But despite the continuity of existing in the same space of the family home still it is a very strange situation of absent parental figures for everyone who remains, perhaps most pronounced for Ethan as he is both in a new situation of being the primary carer and struggling with it a bit, and of being the person whose beginning life as a separate being away from the family home was suddenly cut short to drag him back there.

There is a nicely sketched in opening scene of Ethan bringing his girlfriend (who his family get on well with) to dinner but getting into a bit of an argument (or rather disappointing his parents by letting them down, which is far worse!) over his wanting to leave early to do an illicit lab experiment after dark on the university campus with his machine. This is a scene which really nicely bookends with the final scene of the film, as the re-formed family in an all new home sit down to a similar happy family meal. But it is also there to act as the prompt for some guilt, as Ethan not being there the next morning to take his sister Becca to her swimming practice is what leads to his parents going to pick her up instead and ending up in their (thankfully not shown for easy drama) fatal truck accident. This leads to a bit of a conflict between Ethan and his younger brother Matt later on, when in his angry grief at seeing his brother getting obsessed all over again with tinkering with the machine that had led to him not being there when they needed him (which feels cathartic and a much needed explosion at the same time, just to get it out there rather than bottling it up), Matt throws the idea that if Ethan had just been there it would have changed the course of events entirely (and by implication have sent Ethan under that truck instead?), and that it was Ethan's selfishness that caused the death of their parents. Which is of course not really correct, and Ethan tries to explain that but gives up, but it shows the way that people often try and search in their minds for a way to find sense of events and make loss 'explainable' and 'understandable' in some fashion, because the idea that such horrible events can occur by random chance can be too upsetting to contemplate. Questions of "What if I had done it differently? Would there have been a different outcome?" can be the bane of the existence for those left behind trying to make sense of the senseless.

There is a sense in this early section of the film, and particularly in the argument scene, of ideas of fate and if there is some ability to avoid it. As well as the snowballing of minor actions into having major consequences. Although this is a story about people constantly looking backwards on things they have lost and seeing the moment that everything changed. So they can pinpoint where 'fate' intervened in their lives but, like all of us, only in retrospect (As an aside, this may actually be the primary appealing theme of the whole time traveling genre because in those stories people get to omnisciently control fate by holding all of the answers to a past situation. Although of course we know that many time traveling stories get more complicated than that with their butterfly effects of altering previous events often having unintended consequences! The moral lesson often being just to accept things the way they are and not tamper with the set course of events!). That argument between Matt and Ethan is really the climax of the first section of the film which has been showing the attempt to continue family routine being undermined by grief: being unable to get out of bed; doing things in the wrong order, or forgetting to pick the kids up from school because your mind is preoccupied; spacing out at work, etc.

Anyway Ethan gets his machine mysteriously delivered (by the girlfriend? :-k ) to the family home and begins tinkering with it in his spare time, maybe trying to recapture a sense of his stunted ambitions as much as anything else. I felt that the most interesting thing about the middle section of the film was that as the device begins to work and invoke ghostly apparitions within the house the two halves of the family go in different directions, but they are all trying to reclaim their past lives in some ways. Ethan is trying to get back to his experiments and ambitions that he had in college and his approach to the device is as a technical challenge of boosting the power (with the help of his electrician neighbour, more on whom a little later!) and he is oblivious and then dismissive of the ghosts at first; whilst Matt is retreating to their parent's untouched since the accident bedroom and along with Becca gets the chance (or assumes that they get the chance) to have their parents back. I do really like that sense in this section that there is the creator who is just interested in (and maybe blinded by) the challenge of whether they can do something; whilst you have the audience for the device who actually are impacted by and experience the effects (positive or negative) the most directly, and add the human dimension to the technological breakthrough, but who themselves may be interpreting things wrongly.

Then once the presence of the ghosts becomes undeniable Ethan himself gets caught up in turning his device from one which has was intended to have a wider practical purpose into joining his brother and sister in fully committing to figuring out how to make the device more powerful in order to bring their parents back from the other side. In some ways Ethan gets overwhelmed yet again by the family home and his responsibilities (to his siblings, and to his absent parents) that take priority over his more worldly ambitions.

But the twist here is that:
SpoilerShow
its not the parents that the device is bringing back. Or maybe not just the parents? The film leaves it a little ambiguous, but I more lean towards the idea that it was other ghosts 'playacting' as the parents for Becca all along. Especially because (giving the title extra meaning) it appears that the only ghosts who appear are those of people who had died violently in the radius of the machine's signal. The parents had died somewhere else in their car crash, so their spirits presumably could not have been inhabiting the family home. The subplot with the electrician neighbour is key to this, as the neighbour had mentioned to Ethan early in the film that he had also lost someone and it turns out in the final section that it was his wife to suicide in their home and that once boosted the radius of the machine's signal had been wide enough to have accidentally extended beyond Ethan's house into that of the neighbour and provided him his own encounter with his (unfortunately vengeful) wife.

Instead of their parents, the ghosts inhabiting the family home (playing with Becca) turn out to have been a previous occupant Alice who was a girl murdered by her stepfather Henry, with Alice seemingly being forced by Henry to play with Becca (and to a lesser extent Matt) and pretend to be their parents in order to get them to boost the signal of the machine to get back into the real world. The climax involves Becca being kidnapped and whilst Matt and Ethan's returned girlfriend try to reach her, Ethan himself has to get to the neighbour's house to try and retrieve the machine the neighbour stole to selfishly try and bring his wife back to him. Which interestingly undermines the neighbour's attempt to sympathise with Ethan early in the film about the pain of loss never entirely leaving but it changes into something that can at least be lived with, as he shows through his actions that as soon as there may be a chance to get a lost person back, he would go for it. I think that the neighbour is by far the most tragic figure in the film as whilst Ethan and his family move away Poltergeist-style for a fresh start at the end of the film the neighbour remains trapped in the house that his wife killed herself in, and that violent encounter with her spirit shows that even if he could bring her back there are anger issues on her part there towards him that had probably led to her actions of committing suicide in the first place! Sometimes it may be better to live on without the knowledge that your loved one that passed away probably hated you rather than conjuring them up again and confirming that theory for certain! And of all films I had the neighbour subplot in American Beauty come to mind the most in the characterisation of the neighbour here as seemingly having it all together when viewed from the outside, but hurting just as badly as Ethan and his family are behind closed doors.

This final section was really interesting and reminded me surprisingly (in addition to Lucio Fulci's The House By The Cemetery, especially in the way that a child is used as a conduit and placed in the most danger by the apparitions. Although this film is far less bleak - not to mention in no way as gorily violent - than the Fulci!) of that Nigel Kneale TV play The Stone Tape. In both The Stone Tape and Our House the main character is trying to research a new technology which accidentally bridges the gap between the spirit world and real world, then somewhat charmed by the notion of communication across that divide decides to fully commit to their new direction and see what results. And in a similar final twist The Stone Tape reveals that beyond the 'surface layer' of seemingly benign ghostly apparitions there is a much older, dangerous layer of vengeful spirits waiting to be uncovered. Because only evil, hatred and anger seem to be emotions that keep a spirit tied to a place rather than being able to move on.

And move on Ethan and his family do, as Ethan destroys his device, they sell the family home (giving up the last tangible connection with their parents) and all move with the girlfriend (whose character is actually utilised really well in this, as a sidelined figure for the majority of the action but probably the most sensible character, and her return to the story late in the film suggests that she is the final piece of the puzzle to enable the family to re-form itself into something new, and move on) to a new place that is both closer to Becca's swimming pool lessons and with the suggestion that Ethan might be returning to college himself.
I ended up really enjoying this film. It is dealing with a very heavy topic of grief and loss but in a really sensitive manner and seems to care for all of the characters involved. This also makes me curious about seeing the 2010 film Ghost From The Machine (or Phasma Ex Machina), which Our House is apparently a bigger budget remake of, especially as the Shout! Factory Blu-ray released in the US only has an eight minute featurette and the trailer, so there may be scope for a more comprehensive special edition of this which could include that earlier film for comparison. My assumption going by the footage in that trailer is that it appears that Ghost From The Machine may focus more on the Solaris-style relationship between the neighbour and his inexplicably returned suicidal wife rather than using that aspect as a background, albeit resonant, subplot as in Our House.

Come True (Anthony Scott Burns, 2020)

"I read that in one sitting. Couldn't put it down. It's really good. There was a kind of... a haunting sadness to it. You should definitely buy it. Have you read much Phillip K. Dick? He's completely paranoid. Genius concepts though. Stuff that will make you think."

A young woman plagued by disturbing nightmares and seemingly estranged from her mother and left sleeping on park benches and at friend's houses signs up for a sleep study both for a place to lay her head and a way of looking into her problem. But she finds the researchers become more and more shifty and evasive about their true intentions, whilst her nightmares become more intense and cause vivid bodily reactions.

This is a really difficult film to talk about without spoilers, as it is one of those stories where the situation becomes more inexplicable and enigmatic until the final moments put everything into context. But what a beautiful ride! Lots of films came to mind during this: the slowly emptying world of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse; the researchers experimenting on unwitting 'volunteers' made me think a little about the end of Martyrs, but also of course early Cronenberg; and especially that Ken Russell segment of Aria, mixed with a bit of Shinya Tsukamoto's Haze and Kore-eda's After Life ("You guys, I'm sorry but we have four more of these [interviews] to do until I get to go home and sleep"), although that may already have said too much! There also feels to be a big influence from the 'walking simulator' games (Dear Esther, What Remains of Edith Finch, Layers of Fear, etc) which are all about constant, linear, perpetual movement through bizarre worlds that gets contextualised here into nightmare sequences and wonderfully a literal climax involving sleepwalking. I like the dream sequences themselves but even better is the seamless way that they keep transitioning from the waking world into the dream one (my favourite is the second sequence of Sarah surreptitiously entering and leaving her house with her mother calling her name but only seeing the fluttering curtains at the open window (which itself its heartbreaking in retrospect) before going to sleep on the park slide again, with the stars above winking out before the dream begins), which only gets more complicated during the sleepwalking sequence as the two worlds are layered on top of each other.

It interestingly feels as if it is the mirror opposite from Our House. Where in that film we are looking from the outside in at ghostly apparitions, instead here the characters are inside the situation which seems more vivid than the increasingly empty and devoid of life outisde world. It is as if they are the ghosts walking through a dream of their lives. And the idea of a collective dream state is a fascinating one: that we all share a kind of a collective set of imagery that at a deep primordial level can be shared between dreamers. One of the things that I particularly loved about the film at the mid-point is that it goes from alluding to abusive families and exploitational researchers to a kind of love story as however scary the nightmares are, there is a kind of solace that can be taken from not feeling alone (In that sense I was reminded a little of Paperhouse too in the central relationship between two people who find solace in sharing, and shaping, the same dream world together, enjoying the ability to play at vampires together), before even that proves to be rather illusory and a deeper reckoning needs to occur.

The soundtrack of course is wonderful and really the film's entire reason for existing in the state that it does (incidentally if that particular song seems familiar, Electric Youth also did the song "A Real Hero" that featured prominently in Drive). Along with the beautifully moody original score I really loved that it uses the dreamy Coelacanth for its two sequences of looking at dreamers from an outsider's perspective, which previously appeared during the tiger stroking sequence in Michael Mann's Manhunter film.
SpoilerShow
So it turns out this is all about a person in a coma with everything in the film, not just the dream sequences, being a projection of her mind. Which would explain why the trip to see a cinema showing of Night of the Living Dead gets reduced to abstracted screaming, because that is perhaps just what stuck in Sarah's mind about the film.

It is a relatively simple, even obvious, story but I absolutely love that I have so many questions after that ending. Is her friend Zoe also briefly in the coma-world with her (did they get into an accident together?) and that is why she is briefly around for the first half before entirely disappearing? It makes that scene in the waiting room of the film suddenly become very moving ("I've been coming here since I was 5. Aaron and I go way back"; "I was 16 when I started coming here. I guess old Meyer just loves to see us sleep"), with the idea that for some (many?) being in a coma-world is a blessed relief from the pain and horror of reality, and that is why the figures constantly on the edges of perception and paring people rudely away are so irritating and upsetting, because they stand for the end of the reverie, for better or worse.

How come there are more guys in the study? Are men more prone to getting into comas?

We eventually get layers of dreamstates on top of each other without warning in the final section, as prompted by the shared confidences of witnessing Jeremy's own dreams the main couple make love but that causes Sarah to fall into a coma within a coma - a deeper level of consciousness - and prompts the final sleepwalking section as those who remain of the researchers (who themselves are trying to look for a way out through scientific and experimental by proxy means) are reduced to just following her through the woods until she reaches a doorway (presumably the doorway to death) that she is able to be 'woken up' from and turn away from at the very last moment. Then the return through the woods brings both her and her companions into contact with the shadow figures, who I presume are the abstract representation of waking life and the painful jolt into consciousness that Sarah and most of the rest of the characters have been recoiling from in terror in subconscious knowledge of what they represent.

Which makes Sarah 'saving' Jeremy from the figures at one point, and keeping him in the dream world both an unwittingly selfish move in preventing him from returning to terrifying consciousness but also a way to keep her connection with him and continue their burgeoning romance too. The implication in her 'killing' him once she comes out of the coma within a coma (in which she gets her phone, and thereby her communication with the outside world and her mother, back) is that she has helped him to leave his own coma, and the appearance of her vampire teeth from their shared dream is showing that Sarah is coming to an awareness of her waking world being an illusion itself - one that she can have a more conscious control over rather than just sleepwalking through or suffering the depredations of - and that Jeremy is still alive out there somewhere. It is kind of a more hopeful version of the relationship between DiCaprio and Marion Cottilard in Inception in that sense!

And I love that beyond Sarah's individual story that it doesn't negate the idea of a collective dreaming subconscious that everyone maybe shares and can be tapped into. She and Jeremy (as with the characters in Paperhouse) are able to connect across space and eventually form a relationship that provides a respite against everything else. And the technology is not a malign evil here, as it often is in many horror or sci-fi films, but is being put to a therapeutic use! I wonder if now that Sarah has come to the realisation about the nature of her world and that she has agency within it she will wake up, or spend some time in the coma still to enjoy her powers to shape the dreamworld and maybe help fellow coma suffers within it she may run into?
I love that it seems hopeful rather than despairing, and that for a film that starts out as a horror or dark sci-fi film (or an abstract film about dealing with familial abuse, or men taking advantage of women, which are all notions that are raised subliminally but eventually reveal themselves to be stand ins for other themes) it eventually feels to be much more about the love story. Certainly one of the most fascinating films of the decade so far, and another great example of ambitious psyche-exploring Canadian sci-fi to rank up there with Cube and Beyond The Black Rainbow.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

therewillbeblus

#2277 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:43 pm

Revisited the Scream series over the past week to catch up with the latest entry (except for the third movie, because life is short), and I was surprised to find that I loved Scre4m the most by far, surpassing the second film as the best of the series. What it has to say about the stimulation of digital fandom transcends some cheap shot at dopamine hits, and likens this ubiquitous and tragically-warping psychosocial evolution vis segregating media broadly toward a fear of fatalistic antisocial tendencies growing from this unstoppable, developing beast. That the film manages to pull this off without condescending to Gen Z or youth in particular, and takes care to engage with the zeitgeist's wavelength on the allure of influencers and their low-effort/high-reward outcomes, is an admirable strength. The movie pushes the first film's ideas about fame further and deeper into relevant spaces than that film did because instead of commenting on a fear-mongering idea of media's influence on consumers, it prays on the relatable experience of everyone who hasn't been living under a rock for two decades.

The newest film, unfortunately, is saying nothing- posturing at ideas about comparing 'elevated horror' of A24 and other indie studios to classics but never following through on its promises, because it doesn't know how. Nor do I, as it's a pretty empty concept if you look past the relevance of horror's arthouse appeal, as everyone making this movie should have done after its pitch. The film basically tries to do what the fourth movie does in establishing motives of inherent societal thwarted belongingness prompting a murderous drive to be a 'part of' non-social ideas - though it's also trying to ape the second's merits of self-parody too, only sloppily, unnecessarily, and worse of all, sincerely without creative wit. The fourth movie already accomplished this right out of the gate in its incredible Russian Doll opening -especially the gag with two terrific blonde actress cameos. That was economical and imaginative, but the fifth film attempts to engage in similar basic meta-fare with a tired and overstated explanation by the killers in its final act that makes no sense and is no fun. Just go watch Scream 4 twice. Also, how dare you waste Kyle Gallner's talents like that

therewillbeblus

#2278 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:07 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:33 pm
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper, 1981)
It’s tempting to see this as a transition point for Hooper between the grating, raw nerve style of his more exploitation-esque 70s films and the slicker, more traditional, more straightforwardly comical horror work of the 80s. So there’s a share of grime and shrieking, but also traditional jump scares and well-orchestrated suspense and stalking sequences. But of course Salem’s Lot was pretty traditional, so, dunno. The carnival feels authentic; there are no hackneyed attempts to make it creepy or unsettling in a filmic way. The low rent, broken down atmosphere of a real backwoods carnival is allowed to stand on its own. As slasher films go, this is a mostly restrained effort, emphasizing atmosphere, build up, and suspense over violence and gore. I’m not overly impressed with Hooper’s post-Texas Chainsaw work, but this particular movie is to his credit.
At first this felt like Hooper playing it safe with an extremely loose narrative approach and decisive dive into ambiance via isolated set pieces, which risked disengagement from lack of direction or surrogate investment. However, it's a quietly ambitious skeletal strategy, for by the time the film was well into its last half-hour, it had cast a spell on me in revealing itself to be something I didn't expect: less an involving slasher than a fill-tilt exercise in voyeurism. While a film like Rear Window constantly interrupts our spectating opportunities for deviating attention to gravitate us back to a multidimensional and relatable protagonist in an economic, predictable flow, Hooper will just plant his canvas characters in a position to observe and then leave us there for an irregular length of time, prompting some disorienting whiplash when we return to the vague and trivial focal point of these vapid principals. Now, this is no Hitch, and his masterpiece has more to say and ignites deeper reflection with its fine-tuned methodology of editing and overall thematic construction. Still, I found myself impressed with how far Hooper pushed his structural conceit and how, through elisions, it slyly has a lot to say about how we got lost in depersonalization from objectively active voyeurism reflecting a subjectively passive approach of engagement with our surroundings.

The "characters" disappear for extended stretches of time and when we finally get a glimpse of the masked killer and then cut back to the group, I forgot we were even supposed to be watching the scene from their perspectives, let alone that the film was supposed to be a slasher! The film is reflexively ungrounded in narrative form like a funhouse, and has an unhealthy distance from its characters, which aids its structuralist refutation of holds that we require to secure us to a linear, predictable path. Hooper isn’t implementing technique in particularly novel ways like Hitchcock’s film, but instead is breaking introductory rules of cinema to unexpectedly heightened effect, which in turn showcases how much we rely upon them during rote voyeuristic practice. The most glaring example is that, had Hooper used simple continuity to glance back at his group of kids while they watch what they watch, any commentary or higher Art reading would be muted, but because he refuses to provide such a basic service to his audience, the narrative breaks are hypnotic and transitions back are jarring.

There’s an arrhythmic tempo that's unnerving as window dressing attractions feel securely-placed but are always threatening to become plot devices that intrude in on a hazy hangout movie (and eventually do in the final act!), but that rollercoastering course itself is part of the amusement. The film establishes itself as a slasher from the deliberate Halloween/Psycho homage in its opening, then tricks us into losing ourselves with confusion first ('Is this going to be a slasher?') and then surrendering into whatever this 'is', passively disengaging from the main group and accepting whatever is gracing us across the screen. Then, just when we're comfortably relaxed in a voyeuristic routine of observing portmanteau arcs with detachment from self, Hooper reminds us that, wait, his film is going to be a slasher after all, and abruptly casts its group members into those slasher roles at the last minute for some acute action to expedite the necessary killings. It's also cheeky how the kids watch the masked killer emasculate himself sexually, which subverts the dehumanizing monstrous nature of the role's intimidating presence with an opportunity to carefully survey and mock from afar, only for the killer to come back and violate these kids in the exact ways they, like we the audience, assumed they were safely shielded from when statically perched in an aloof dimension of attention for... basically a whole hour with minimal activity?!

The final moments meditate on how traumatized the final girl is, mirroring our own delayed cognizance to what the F just took place, but even when she's in the thick of it, the tone is especially perturbing for a slasher film due to a polarized rationale compared to typical intragenre fare. We've had no exposure to aligning with this woman, and she's taken a backseat to become one with the passive audience instead of the other way around.. so when she's thrust into an actual narrative of threat, screaming and confused, it's as if Hooper is coercing the audience into a position they didn't sign up for- despite signing up for that very experience at the beginning, pre-desensitization to a new rhythm; a coaster switching tracks on its patrons.

I can see how and why this film would fall completely flat for some audiences, but I think it's far more intelligent than what it flaunts at us on its shallow surface, redistributing vacuous vehicles into place on a ride that gives them dense subjective meaning for the viewer vis horrific sensations that range from physiological to psychological to existential. I wonder how it’ll play on revisits now that I’m aware of the central anti-slasher gimmick, if you can call it that, for part of the fun is in acclimation to what’s happening here. Though perhaps like Rear Window, knowing how things end will allow me to allocate more attention to the richness of Hooper’s grammatical detail and process, cultivating a deeper appreciation. Okay, now I’m ready for the board to throw tomatoes at me for comparing a forgotten Tobe Hooper B-movie to one of Hitchcock’s greatest.

colinr0380

#2279 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:02 am

I really liked this: every Gemini Home Entertainment video (at the time: there have been two more videos since) played simultaneously. Aside from the general tone starting normal and then darkening there were some fun to note sync ups of imagery, text and content are quite striking when viewed in this manner.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2280 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:45 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:32 am
This is quite a nifty 'liminal horror' short: The Backrooms.
This seemed more indebted to the kind of indie horror video games Markiplier has made a good career out of playing online (no idea why these started showing up in my algorithm either), in that we’re in a weird 3D render of a quasi-liminal space, punctuated by jump scares and hidden details that constitute “lore” (plus a dash of the finale to Cube at the end). As such, I don’t really recognize this as a short film at all, just a demo for a game you can’t even play!
These “Backrooms” videos and their imitators have been consistently popping up in my algorithm since watching the above linked and morbid curiosity/boredom leads me to watching some, which leads to more appearing and so on. That said, I actually really enjoyed this one, which contains no stupid monsters or artificial spookiness and arrives at something weirdly unsettling nonetheless, like navigating a space created for humans by someone who doesn’t quite understand their subject or how we use spaces/places like this

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2281 Post by swo17 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:54 pm

Apparently this is all "animated"? It looks very real!

colinr0380

#2282 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:40 pm

The recent Wendigoon video is a good run-through of the major Backrooms-related series created by Kane Parsons (which seems to have been a specific off shoot of a more general internet-based liminal space-meets-SCP mythos (EDIT: here's a recent Super Eyepatch Wolf video on that general trend), seemingly similar to the way that Marble Hornets developed as its own standalone project out of the wider open source Slender Man mythology), since it features an interview with that creator (I think the environments are apparently all done with Blender animation tools, which is what makes the "Report" video using live action locations and actors feel a bit uncharacteristic and jarring). If you run through the videos, make sure to check out the description boxes for the occasional links to unlisted tie-in videos!

It has been fascinating to follow the Kane Pixels series in particular, with trying to make sense of where each of its videos are fitting into its convoluted timeline, and the idea that this was either an attempt to create extra-dimensional space to solve Earth's pressing real estate problem that had unforeseen consequences (did the experiment create all of the unreal and uncanny seeming environments? Or did they pre-exist and we just happened upon them? Or is the uncanniness created by human attempts to co-opt and make the strangely constructed environments somewhat 'livable' and habitable?), or ended up creating a bridge to a different universe with beings that are now aware of us. Or are the monsters people who have been fallen into the area and been trapped and mutated over time? And since the 'universes' merged (or this add-on universe was created) seemingly more and more people have been disappearing, 'no-clipping' out of our world through gaps in reality into this new dimension. And there seem to be pockets of time slippage as well. Is it a Gantz-style purgatory, or is there a more prosaic explanation? Can we have a mix of both?

Who knows if this series will stick the landing, or even if there is a landing to be stuck to. For now, I'm just enjoying the chance to speculate! (And it also got me to return to House of Leaves a few times over the last couple of months, just to try and capture a similar feeling!)
domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:15 pm
These “Backrooms” videos and their imitators have been consistently popping up in my algorithm since watching the above linked and morbid curiosity/boredom leads me to watching some, which leads to more appearing and so on. That said, I actually really enjoyed this one, which contains no stupid monsters or artificial spookiness and arrives at something weirdly unsettling nonetheless, like navigating a space created for humans by someone who doesn’t quite understand their subject or how we use spaces/places like this
Those Matt Studios videos are great too! I'm with you there in the sense that its the strangeness of the environments themselves that are the draw rather than any monsters (is architectural planning the only real acceptable face of A.I. algorithm-generated art?), even if in many cases as with many a found footage film I can understand that they inevitably have to be there so as to provide 'closure' for the 'narrative'. (The otherwise unrelated to all of this more recent Backrooms material House of Leaves novel, for example, also has to have a nebulously defined threatening monster prowling at the heart of its labyrinth, though in that case it is updating the Theseus and the Minotaur legend into urban home spelunking!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2283 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:13 am

I dutifully watched a few more from a couple different channels but there is really only so many variations on this theme I need, and for the most part, the more “lore” these creators try to shoehorn in, the more amateurish they appear.

However, I enjoyed the channel Return to Render’s ambitious entries, as they have a dark sense of humor (“Who’s this guy?”) that acts as an effective corrective of the self-seriousness of many of these kind of videos, and the adventures are played for grim laughs rather than jump scares. This is a particularly creative one

colinr0380

#2284 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:45 am

One of the more comic takes was the Vlogger satire one! ("Do it for me, I'm MatPat")

Mr Sausage

#2285 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 am

Halloween Viewings

Halloween Ends (David Gordon Green, 2022)

How has Green gotten worse at this? I don’t remember this many cheap and hacky jump scares in the first film of this trilogy. The first ten minutes are nothing but loud bumps and shock noises. Anyway, the film takes the mythologizing aspects of Halloween Kills and expands them while dropping much of the slasher horror stuff (Michael doesn’t even show up until 40 minutes in, and has only brief appearances from then on). More than anything, this is an adaptation of Christine, with a put-upon kid having a run-in with Michael and increasingly taking on his evil as a response to the bullying. It even has a climax of sorts between the kid and his bullies in an auto shop. Also, the kid leads people back to Michael in his lair so Michael can kill them and regain energy, like this is Hellraiser, before stealing the mask and taking over the job himself. It’s the dumbest thing ever. Did no one learn from Friday the 13th part V and IX? All I can think is that no one here really wanted to make another Halloween movie. Who wrote lines like this: “You’ve got to rip off your top and show grief your fucking tits!”. No one in the movie talks like an adult, especially the adults. They talk like bad movie adolescents. The movie is top-to-bottom awful. Nothing works. Not the writing, direction, performances, music—nothing. I need to stop making it a yearly tradition to watch bad Halloween sequels.

The Frighteners (Peter Jackson, 1996)

I like Jackson’s pre-LOTR work. I was even one of those movie nerds who was vocally confused that the maker of Dead/Alive and Meet the Feebles was doing Tolkien. This is the only one I hadn’t seen yet, so here we are. I trusted Jackson to inject some life and energy into things after the dregs of the last movie I watched. Jackson’s a much better director than Green. A paranormal conman who enlists ghosts to haunt people so he can ‘exorcise’ them finds himself having to battle a truly malevolent spirit. A good idea filmed with great energy and aplomb and, sadly, a taste for unfunny jokes and characters. Along with Jackson’s usual voice is a portion of producer Zemeckis as well as a lot of Tim Burton, and not just because Danny Elfman is the composer. The film was fun, but it pitches itself to such consistent loudness that it quickly becomes exhausting rather than charming. Jackson should’ve calmed down a little.

Last House on the Left (Wes Craven, 1972)

One of those films I felt I ought to see, as a horror fan, but had never felt any strong desire to. The grubby, low-rent production values and guerilla shooting style contributes to the effectiveness of the violence and despair. Fifty years and countless copycat exploitation films haven’t dimmed the ugly power of the movie. It’s a tough watch. The film even survives the bad acting, inappropriate score, and tedious comic relief interludes. I didn’t enjoy it; I think Craven improved on the themes and the style of filmmaking with the superior The Hills Have Eyes; but I kind of admired it. It works.

I Spit On Your Grave (Meir Zarchi, 1978)

When people defend the movie as feminist, they imply that feminist means moral or ethical. But they’re confused. Feminist just means the movie shares a specific ideological and philosophical position. It’s like saying a movie is moral for being Marxist, or ethical for being logical positivist. Arguing the film is feminist is not a defense, just a description. Only uncritical dogmatists would confuse the two. An example: it may be feminist to argue that because men have oppressed women throughout history, they ought to be oppressed in turn, but it’s not moral or ethical. You can take all sorts of positions on the ethical scale and still be feminist in your thinking. So the question isn’t whether it’s ethical to make a film about how men victimize women, but whether it’s ethical to film the longest ever rape scene in order to attract an audience. The idea that the rape scene necessary in order to justify the subsequent murders is A. saying the movie’s point is to justify murder, and B. patently untrue given that, for instance, Last House on the Left was able to justify its revenge conclusion with a lot less. No, I’d say the revenge murders are there to justify the rape scenes rather than the other way around. Without them, the movie would just be one long assault as an end in itself (which it still mostly is). And if the rape scenes are not the movie’s reasons for being, why is the woman not a character? She’s given no personality, no interiority, nothing. She’s empty. Plus she’s set up in such an oddly critical way, this superior big city woman stepping over the locals, and who takes her revenge in classic black widow fashion, mixing plenty of sex and sexual allure with her predation. The film is exploitation through and through, using the extremity of its ugly content to attract audiences and sell tickets. Its filmmakers even manage to exploit feminism in their own defense. I thought the movie was junk. It isn’t well made, it isn’t well written, it isn’t well acted. There’s only the violence and gore. I mean, I only watched it because it was notoriously violent. Straw Dogs, which hasn’t invited the same feminist reclamations, nevertheless took its time to take you inside the consciousness of its female character with a masterful depiction of the subjective experience of PTSD, showing exactly how the trauma makes Amy unable to feel safe even in harmless environments, how her experience of even innocent actions becomes fragmented, jarring, and hopelessly jumbled, past and present moments colliding with equal vividness. No such thing here. The character in Zarchi’s film is an object of brutality for the camera, and that’s it; she’s not a subject. The movie sucks and continues to be seen only for its sheer extremity. I don’t feel like making any moral condemnations (tons of films have the same aims), but I don’t have much patience for these so-called feminist defenses. It’s just another bad movie trying with all its might to shock. Whether the film is feminist makes no difference.

Barbarian (Zach Cregger, 2022)

I loved the set up. Terrific first act. The film is creepy and disturbing up until it reveals what’s behind everything it’s suggesting. Not that the reveal isn’t horrific, but it’s horrific in a familiar, even predictable manner, and up until that point you’re free to imagine things far more inexplicable. There’s a lot to like here, but the movie never quite had the imagination to fulfill its premise. Its decision to structure itself almost as a series of interlocked short films was novel, but had the unintended effect of deflating tension rather than delaying release. I admired the craft tremendously, tho'. I want more horror films like this.

knives

#2286 Post by knives » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:44 pm

bottled spider wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:33 am
Nadja (Almereyda, 1994). The over-the-top artsy-fartsy pretentiousness of this is great fun. Not to suggest this is camp or parody -- not exactly. The beauty is real, however tongue in cheek the artiness. Witty script, good story, great soundtrack.
Now screening on lecinemaclub.com

I fell in love.

Finch

#2287 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:30 pm

I agree that DGG and his Halloween films get progressively worse though on balance I probably hated Kills more than Ends. It makes me even sadder and kind of annoyed at Jason Blum for continuing to plunder old franchises with Gordon Green next with The Exorcist instead of letting Christopher Landon do another horror comedy or asking him to direct a straight up horror. Landon is much more suited to the genre than Green ever was.

Speaking of The Exorcist, this was the film I decided to rewatch last night and I have to say the magic is fading for me to the point that I definitely prefer Legion even with the studio impositions. Friedkin's film has unforgettable imagery but I feel like, outside of the Northern Iraq opening, anything that doesn't involve Karras and especially the early scenes with his mother, is just noise surrounding the best scenes in the whole thing. The movie treats everything with utmost seriousness and that's both a strength and a weakness. It has a matter of fact feeling to it, almost as if it were a documentary, but it's also trying too hard. The "offensive" sexually aggressive insults are involuntarily funny and they break the spell. I recently read some comments by Larry Fassenden where he was pretty critical (unfairly, I think) of the original Halloween but compared particularly to Friedkin's thing, it's a model of restraint. This film is super blunt and it works in the moment to be fair but I am now finding that I prefer the creepier mood in Legion and other films altogether (also, I realise this is a personal thing but I much prefer George C Scott's Kinderman to Lee J Cobb who is the only major actor in the 1973 cast that I find jarring). The only thing that haunts me in this film is Karras and his mother and how their relationship results in his crisis of faith.

I kinda wish Guillermo Del Toro had been asked to direct Dominion from the Schrader script. That could have been something.

therewillbeblus

#2288 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:37 pm

This will probably sound hyperbolic, but seeing Green's first Halloween entry is the worst theatre-going experience I've had (that I can think of offhand), not because it's abominably bad, but because it's just so safe and lame and unoriginal and boring that I was wrestling around in my seat for the entire runtime. I'm incredibly anal about movie theatre-behavior, but I've never had such an urge to break my own rules and talk at the screen, and I admittedly muttered and groaned while tossing and turning. Take a risk, man. You've proven you know how to do that.

Anyways, I didn't bother with either follow-up. Life's too short.

Mr Sausage

#2289 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Halloween 2018 = Halloween 2 (competent but uninspired retread)

Halloween Kills = Halloween H20 (fails to capitalize on its potential)

Halloween Ends = Halloween 5 (total fucking mess)

therewillbeblus

#2290 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 pm

Everyone has their own triggers at the movies, but for me the uninspired safe pic can often be more offensive than the most abrasive filth, because at least those films take risks and try to show me something new. But I doubt Green attempts anything close to a vulnerable moment that ends in complete failure with these sequels. If I'm wrong about that, I'll happily watch them to find out

Mr Sausage

#2291 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:16 pm

The sequels' failures all come precisely from their unwillingness to fully commit to a given idea. Hell, the last one can't even commit to being a Halloween movie. Banging soundtrack on Kills, tho'.

knives

#2292 Post by knives » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:21 pm

The two I’ve seen are so bad they have me convinced DGG is the most incompetently lame filmmaker I’ve ever seen.
Last edited by knives on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#2293 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:31 pm

It's hard to think of a filmmaker with a more disappointing series of patterned regressions across genre exercises. His first two films were wonderful dramas, and then he 'lost' whatever raw magic he implemented there for the next two failures. Then he tried his hat at comedy and succeeded, before failing miserably again with the next two. Joe was a promising return to his roots, but, nope. I want to give him points for being adventurous, but the Halloween he built up as something special for years turned out to be the most cautious product possible. Maybe he struggles to trust his instincts now that he's slipped in every body of water he's excelled at, but if you're so full of fear, just go back to what worked! Really looking forward to his Exorcist movie...

colinr0380

#2294 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:41 pm

In case anyone missed it, Local58 uploaded again over Halloween. The video disappeared but here's its unlisted link. :-$

(I like that it mixes up the most modern kind of internet-based digital horror with Georges Méliès!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murdoch

#2295 Post by Murdoch » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:47 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 am
Halloween Viewings
Barbarian (Zach Cregger, 2022)

I loved the set up. Terrific first act. The film is creepy and disturbing up until it reveals what’s behind everything it’s suggesting. Not that the reveal isn’t horrific, but it’s horrific in a familiar, even predictable manner, and up until that point you’re free to imagine things far more inexplicable. There’s a lot to like here, but the movie never quite had the imagination to fulfill its premise. Its decision to structure itself almost as a series of interlocked short films was novel, but had the unintended effect of deflating tension rather than delaying release. I admired the craft tremendously, tho'. I want more horror films like this.
Agreed. On first watch I was ready to declare it the best horror movie since the pandemic struck, but it significantly diminished on rewatch as it devolved into a rather dumb monster movie..

That said, the first act and the one shot entirely through a fish eye lens still held up, particularly the latter. I feel like you could just cut Long's segment out and have two great, disconnected films that don't really need anything tying them together

therewillbeblus

#2296 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:10 pm

For a while, Dance of the Dead (Tobe Hooper’s episode of anthology series Masters of Horror) appears to be a Rob Zombie-ish sensationalized version of The Lost Boys. It’s a bit programmatic in setting up the character dynamics, and irritating in its raw digital editing style- not my thing. But then, the long final act in the nightclub enhances the technical bombast to levels that become riveting experimental art (a callback to his psychedelic visuals in Eggshells more than anything since), and effectively reflect the heightened sensitivities of the drug and trauma-addled youth, as well as the more universal experiential modes of anxiety one endures in finding their way into new romances and social circles that carry with them senses of danger and excitement. The dystopian ideas of this Richard Matheson adaptation are strong, but I particularly admired how the film feels like it’s about a new kid entering a gang of vampires (like the previously identified influence) only no otherworldly creature is substituted for addicts, they just are addicts, emphasized to disturbingly alien form. Then way this concept is implicitly introduced and sustained is really interesting and admirable for de-romanticizing addiction to repulsive depths.

The denouement is incredibly twisted, if not exactly earned across a mere hour, but this is exactly the kind of cumulative stylistic rhythm Hooper excels at- it’s made of the material that postures at nothing until it slowly occupies a sense of power that required a repelling build to achieve. Not enough to overcome its flaws, but I always relish the rare viewing experience of slowly feeling alienated and giving up hope on a work, only to be magnetically coerced back into the game with smart directorial choices and a confident follow through on actualizing a chosen path of risks in narrative and visual design. For those on the fence, the last half is basically a narrative arc centered around the Sheena is a Parasite music video’s aesthetic, which is enough of a reason to give it an hour of your time.

colinr0380

#2297 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm

Here's another great find from the Night Mind channel - Nick Nocturne has highlighted an ongoing and (seemingly) unrelated series of creepy stories from Japan in the form of the 'Q' channel.

And here's a link to the playlist of the videos. These stories seem to hit on a smorgasbord of a lot of different tropes, from Blair Witch-style woods to ghostly house hauntings of The Grudge, the Koji Shiraishi fake-documentary films like Occult or Record of Sweet Murder, seemingly a sprinkling of Junji Ito (the brief shot of the lady intently reading the Ozamu Dazai novel in No Fiction - Dazai's semi-autobiographical novel No Longer Human about murder/suicide pacts and being haunted by the ghosts of past 'victims' having been adapted into manga form by Ito - is probably the key to understanding that short piece; the suicide pact getting diverted in Plan C is quite similar to the opening of Black Paradox), the found footage exorcism trend, analogue horror, the fear of elderly people, dopplegangers, strange cults, scary lifts (which other comments below that video have noted seems eerily similar at the opening to the real life case of Elisa Lam), stalkers and so on. I particularly love the detached voice of the narrator just matter of factly reporting on events from some future point of safe distance - if that feeling of safety ever gets broken at some point, that could be extremely powerful.

Mr Sausage

#2298 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:24 pm

Relic (Natalie Erika James, 2020)

An effective, quiet, moody haunting story that works as an allegory for our fears not just of aging, but the aged themselves, the changes they go through, the bodies they bear, as well as the slow horror of watching a loved one change from the ravages of dementia. A mother and daughter (Emily Mortimer and Bella Heathcoate) return to their elderly (grand)mother's house after the neighbours report not seeing her for a few days. The house is full of rotting fruit, covered in post-its reminding one to do daily activities, and has a full dog bowl despite the dog having died long ago. After some days of searching, the (grand)mother simply returns, and the pair have to deal with her increasingly erratic behaviour and a house that comes to seem alien. The haunting atmospherics are familiar if you've seen any ghost movies from the past ten years, but exceptionally executed nonetheless, never terminating in cheap jump scares, but building on each other to create a tightening sense of dread. But it's the emotional content that really works, including some dreadful and heartbreaking moments of family members confronting the exaggerated sense of mortality that something like dementia brings out. The house they are in is rotting from the inside, much like the pair's (grand)mother, who is herself being eaten from the inside out by a disease none of them are prepared to deal with. It's a heartbreaking emotional confrontation that's made physical through an appropriate ghostly metaphor: an infected, moldering house whose contours never seem quite right and which begins to shift, narrow, and entrap. The movie never overplays these elements, either. It knows when not to push things, when to be quiet and suggestive. The quiet moodiness does climax in a scene of full force terror as you might expect, but the final moments of the film are just perfect. The movie finds such a grotesque and beautiful note to end on, one that contains a gesture of humanity that's moving, and a final image that's a memento mori, a reminder of the inevitability of decay and death.

I've seen a number of recent horror films over the last few days, some very good indeed; but this was the best of them. It reminded me somewhat of movies like The Night House and Resurrection, not just for the technical control, but the way it uses horror tropes and explicit metaphors to explore fraught emotional material head on. A very, very good ghost story.

therewillbeblus

Re: The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Projec

#2299 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:46 am
Innocent Blood (John Landis 1992) Landis returns to the horror comedy well with this unusual vampire versus the mob pic. It's telling that the word "vampire" is never uttered in the film, because Landis has some cheeky fun arbitrarily following and dismissing existing vampire lore (In: Bright light and garlic aversion; Out: Fangs and aversion to Mirrors and crucifixes). The movie is light and long, but I enjoyed its wandering narrative, peppered with creative bits of gore. The central premise is quite clever: a female vampire only targets victims who have it coming to them, so she decides to target some high profile mobsters, only to accidentally turn the Don (perfectly played by Robert Loggia) into a vampire himself. Loggia gets the joke central to his performance and embraces it wholly and fearlessly, and it's a great treat to just watch him chew scenery (and necks). I wouldn't say the film is a laff riot but there are two or three fantastic laugh out loud moments, including the best homage to Some Like It Hot's infamous final exchange I've ever seen. I also thought it was funny to see the negative NY Times review of this claim that the one place this film was guaranteed to not get a good reaction was in France (where the lead starred in La Femme Nikita), and then it turned up on the Cahiers du Cinema Top 10! Highly recommended (the R1 DVD is full-screen, but it's 100% just open matte, so it's safe to watch-- plus, if you viewed it in widescreen, you'd miss Landis' trademark "See you next Wednesday")
I loved this too, but unfortunately my WA blu fresh from DD was scratched and skipped a bit (and wouldn't fix after a disc-cleaning) so I think I missed the Wilder gag you're referring to... however, I thought the unprepared hospital staff's hysteria to Rickles' symptoms was one of the funniest orchestrations of absurdist comedy from this era, and perhaps Landis' crowning achievement for sight gags in a career partially built upon them

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2300 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 14, 2023 4:01 pm

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this question.

I've kind of ignored or not kept track of the several box set releases over the last several years of B-(or C-)movie grindhouse/drive-in auteurs' collected works and am trying to work out right now a list of what those were/are. So far I've taken note of the Andy Mulligan, the William Grefe, the HG Lewis, the Bill Rebane, and the Ormond Family, in addition to the less ambitious set release(s) of Paul Naschy. What am I missing? (Not counting here Mexico Macabro, which I've pre-ordered of course).