Eclipse Series 3: Late Ozu

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
FilmSnob

Re: Eclipse Series 3: Late Ozu

#301 Post by FilmSnob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 pm
I think Early Spring is a bit long. But I don't think much could (if anything) be shaved off.
I like your quote MK because I think Ozu intended the exhaustive length (as you said, there's nothing to cut out). There's uncertain hope at the end of the film, but would the shades of tired resignation really ring true in a neat little concise 1 hour 45 minute movie? I think not.

Early Spring may not have Setsuko Hara, but Ryo Ikebe and Chikage Awashima were outstanding, and the film is every bit the equal of Late Spring, Early Summer, and Tokyo Story imo. Truly one of the greatest films ever made.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#302 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:42 am

I wonder if Early Spring was not one of the earliest films to criticize Japan's post-war (big city) business culture harshly -- the whole phenomenon of middle-class men basically having to devote virtually all their time to work-related activities (to the near-complete neglect of family). Chishu Ryu offers an interesting counterpoint, rejecting that system, happily accepting relegation to "the sticks" -- where he could do useful work but could balance this with being involved with his wife and children (and probably neighbors, etc.).

FilmSnob

#303 Post by FilmSnob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm
There is humor in Early Spring, but much of it tends to sting a bit.
The scene at the bar near the end is one of the funniest -- and grimmest -- scenes in all of Ozu, yet it's only the third best scene in the last 15 minutes of the movie. There's comedic music playing in the background (a rarity for Ozu) while Eijirō Tōno drones on about his disillusionment with salaryman life after 31 years. "Life is just an empty dream". Most people would just find this scene maudlin, but I'm sure Ozu found it comedic, judging by the music and Eijirō Tōno's delivery. I chuckle quite a few times through that scene, and yet everything he says is true -- it's a dark kind of humor. Even Ryo Ikebe starts tuning him out after a moment or two. Watch closely and you'll notice Sugi looks at the old man when he starts talking, but once the conversation goes in a direction that isn't exactly a good omen for his future, Sugi doesn't look at him again, just keeps his head down in his drink, smoking his cigarette, looking ahead, occasionally glancing in So Yamamura's direction, even though Ozu doesn't cut to a close-up of him for another five minutes. Lots of great details like that in all Ozu scenes.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#304 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Ozu was definitely an expert at devising scenes that were funny and sad at the same time.

Matt

#305 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:59 pm

Did we already notice that this is “currently unavailable” from the Criterion store and only available from third-party sellers on Amazon? Ditto the (DVD-only) release of The Only Son/There Was a Father. Praying this portends an Ozu mega-set, though we’re already 1/3 of the way through the year of announcements with no news. We’re still in his centenary year until December Image

Criterion’s last Ozu release was The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice in 2019.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#306 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:12 pm

I feel like they’d do (another) one for Kurosawa before Ozu, but on the other hand, Criterion

FrauBlucher

#307 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:17 pm

I have to think this is as strong a possibility as can possibly be. With Janus holding rights to at least 32 of his films I can't see how not

criterionsnob

#308 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:22 pm

The screen grabs on Equinox Flower and The End of Summer in particular, seem like they've been upgraded too.

Matt

#309 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:33 pm

I was also thinking the precedent of the Fellini and Pasolini sets being centenary celebrations and the recent theatrical retrospective both lend support towards the idea.

I also think we’d see one or two “classic” 4K Kurosawas before a Blu-ray box set.