When does Criterion announce new titles?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
fiddlesticks

When does Criterion announce new titles?

#1 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Where do you guys get these announcements? Is there a website, or a mailing list, where you get the news? I hope it's not a case of everyone sitting on criterion.com's 'coming soon' page and continually clicking 'refresh'...

Tom Hagen

#2 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:39 pm

It's a case of everyone sitting on criterion.com's 'coming soon' page and continually clicking 'refresh' on the afternoons of the 15th of every month.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:40 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:Where do you guys get these announcements? Is there a website, or a mailing list, where you get the news? I hope it's not a case of everyone sitting on criterion.com's 'coming soon' page and continually clicking 'refresh'...
In the months that I broke the new titles, I would just take the URL for the eventual cover art and refresh it every few minutes while I was doing something else. As soon as it shows up, I'd quickly find all the covers and post them here. This is probably how most cover-breakers do it

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:48 pm

There are programs available that will automatically refresh a screen for you every xx number of seconds, or let you know when a page has been updated.

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:22 pm

You know people around here are going stir-crazy when there's a de facto resurrection of the long-dead "What I reckon is going to be announced next month" thread.

psufootball07

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#6 Post by psufootball07 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 pm

So will the February releases be announced on Friday with Saturday being the 15th or should I expect it to arrive between Saturday and Monday? God I hope Vivre sa Vie is coming.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:03 pm

psufootball07 wrote:So will the February releases be announced on Friday with Saturday being the 15th or should I expect it to arrive between Saturday and Monday? God I hope Vivre sa Vie is coming.
The 15th is not a hard and fast rule. Friday is certainly possible, but I wouldn't rule out Monday either. Then again, I think we already know everything that's going to be announced:

The Exterminating Angel
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
My Dinner With Andre*
The 400 Blows on Blu-ray

*OK, this is a joke.

arsonfilms

#8 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:37 pm

psufootball07 wrote:So will the February releases be announced on Friday with Saturday being the 15th or should I expect it to arrive between Saturday and Monday? God I hope Vivre sa Vie is coming.
I'm actually going out to see Vivre sa Vie tomorrow night, which obviously means its still making the rounds theatrically. I wouldn't count on a DVD release announcement any time soon.

Also: While Friday is always a possibility, Monday seems a bit more likely.

Dadapass

#9 Post by Dadapass » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:23 am

Are Criterion and Eclipse upcoming DVDs usually announced on the same day?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:23 am

Dadapass wrote:Are Criterion and Eclipse upcoming DVDs usually announced on the same day?
Yes, though the first couple Eclipse releases weren't always

psufootball07

#11 Post by psufootball07 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Any thoughts on whether we will see June releases today or next week?

arsonfilms

#12 Post by arsonfilms » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:45 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Any thoughts on whether we will see June releases today or next week?
It oughtta be up in an hour or so. February's announcements were on the 13th.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Any thoughts on whether we will see June releases today or next week?
Your F5 button knows as much as mine does.
Last edited by swo17 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#14 Post by Matt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 pm

knives wrote:So are we throwing in the towel for any announcements this weekend?
They'll be up Monday afternoon/evening. There's nobody at Criterion on a weekend.

Rupert Pupkin

#15 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 am

Today we are April 15; isn't it "the day" for the new batch of upcoming Criterion or do we have to wait until Friday to read what will be the next Blu-Ray ?? (I cross my fingers for Walkabout on Blu-Ray since Exotica on BR is just a matter of dreams...)...

ehimle

#16 Post by ehimle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:10 pm

purely speculative but, my guess is that the new titles won't be announced until tomorrow... cause—
Our special offer for newsletter subscribers and their friends expires at midnight tonight! Don’t miss out! Type in the promotion code PRE10 during checkout and receive an additional 10% off your order total. Please remember to click Update Cart after entering the code or your discount will not be applied.

kaujot

#17 Post by kaujot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:20 pm

I was told several months (maybe as many as six) that they have no plans for Don't Look Now. I'm pretty sure I posted as such either in this thread or in the Paramount thread.

I desperately wish the opposite, and perhaps things have changed, but that'd be an awful-quick turnaround.
ehimle wrote:purely speculative but, my guess is that the new titles won't be announced until tomorrow... cause—
Our special offer for newsletter subscribers and their friends expires at midnight tonight! Don’t miss out! Type in the promotion code PRE10 during checkout and receive an additional 10% off your order total. Please remember to click Update Cart after entering the code or your discount will not be applied.
New titles are always announced on either Monday or Friday in the middle of the month.

AlanP

#18 Post by AlanP » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm pretty sure it's always on the 15th, unless that falls on a weekend, and then it's the previous Friday or following Monday.

ptatler

#19 Post by ptatler » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:55 pm

If they post pre-midnight, I promise to pre-order every July offering. Unless it's another one of this year's Best Picture contenders. Last month was good enough for me to order them all (save TCCoBB; didn't hate it, just found it anemic).

I'd love to see more Roeg get into the collection. Or MAN ESCAPED.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Don't ask me why I remember this, but last year's May titles were announced in the middle of the week for certain

ehimle

#21 Post by ehimle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 pm

what I was trying to hint at was that the new titles probably won't be announced until after the sale ends.

reno dakota

#22 Post by reno dakota » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:Don't ask me why I remember this, but last year's May titles were announced in the middle of the week for certain
Apparently, it was a Thursday . . . the 21st.

Murdoch

#23 Post by Murdoch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:58 pm

I guess it was only a matter of time until people began speculating the announcement date on top of the actual announcements.

Max von Mayerling

Re: When does Criterion announce new titles?

#24 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm making a fool out of myself by posting like I really care about this topic, but my sense lately is that they've been posting on the Friday of the second week of the month. But, of course, last month it was the following Monday, so really it just boils down to them just fucking with us.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#25 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Murdoch wrote:I guess it was only a matter of time until people began speculating the announcement date on top of the actual announcements.
They should totally announce the upcoming announce dates (and times, while we're at it) with at least three months notice. Also, just to keep our nerves calm during times of non-announcement, they should send us all emails every five seconds or so saying:
Dear XXX,

Everything is fine. I just wanted to let you know I have nothing to announce at this time. Rest assured, I will immediately announce to you any announcements or intentions to announce to you any announcements, or any intentions to announce to announce, etc. If it has been more than five seconds since you received this email and you have not yet received another, please do not be alarmed. I was just finding out if there were any more announcements for you. You should be finding out if I found any more announcements for you any moment now. I hope this helps!

I love you,
Jon Mulvaney