Forthcoming Lists Discussion & Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
zedz

#151 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:08 pm

stroszeck wrote:POST-POST-SCRIPT: Also any info on Berlin Alexanderplatz and possibly Jail Bait? Two Fassbinder films unseen by myself (the latter of which has never been available even on VHS).
The latter is apparently held up by the objections of the writer of the original play, who hated Fassbinder's version and doesn't want it seen. A terrible shame, as it's a great sullen adolescent of a film. Berlin A will apparently be on its way in various territories once its restoration is complete and it's done the festival rounds (which might be this year - does anybody have new information?)

But we should really take this back to the Random Spec thread.

What A Disgrace

#152 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Getting back to the April titles...

Image still doesn't have the full specs to any of these releases, but they now list both Elevator to the Gallows and Harlan County U.S.A. as two disc sets, and include critics' blurbs for both.

tryavna

#153 Post by tryavna » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:27 pm

stroszeck wrote:Yeah, KIND HEARTS is a fantastic pitch-black-as-hell comedy from Britain (of all places).
Actually, it's not so odd that Britain has produced such a dark comedy once you consider that The Ladykillers (also Ealing), if..., and The Ruling Class are all British films. In fact, there's a fairly strong tradition of black comedy in British literature and culture. Some of Evelyn Waugh's novels, like "A Handful of Dust" and "The Loved One," are probably the best examples.

FilmFanSea

#154 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Ron Epstein at HTF has posted the official Criterion press release for the April titles:

Monterey Pop (single-disc edition) - On a June weekend in 1967, at the height of the "Summer of Love," the Monterey International Pop Festival ushered in a new era of rock and roll and launched the careers of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Otis Redding, as well as showcasing veteran performers such as Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas & the Papas, The Who, and the extraordinary Ravi Shankar. Filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker captured it all, immortalizing those moments that have become legend. Now available for the first time as a single-disc release.

Cat: CC1623D
Title: Monterey Pop
UPC: 7-15515-01732-9
SRP: $29.95
Prebook date: 3/7/06
Street date: 4/11/06

Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey - Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding arrived in California virtually unknown. Hendrix exploded at Monterey, flooring an unsuspecting audience with his maniacal six-string pyrotechnics. Redding, venerable star of Memphis¹ Stax record label, seduced the love crowd" in one of his best performances, which would be his last. Featuring the entire Monterey sets of these legendary musicians, and now available for the first time as a single-disc release.

Cat: CC1624D
Title: Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey
UPC: 7-15515-01742-8

The 400 Blows - François Truffaut¹s first and most personal feature film, told from the perspective of the director¹s lifelong cinematic counterpart, Antoine Doinel. Sensitively recreating the trials of Truffaut¹s own childhood, The 400 Blows unsentimentally portrays aloof parents, oppressive teachers, petty crime, and a friendship that would last a lifetime. Available after a long absence as a single-disc release.

Cat: CC1625D
Title: The 400 Blows
UPC: 7-15515-01752-7

Elevator to the Gallows - In this, his debut feature film, director Louis Malle captures the hidden beauty of Jeanne Moreau, the brilliant camerawork of Henri Decaë, and the musical force of Miles Davis in a tightly constructed film noir experience that launched his and Moreau¹s careers.

Cat: CC1627D
Title: Elevator to the Gallows
UPC: 7-15515-01772-5
SRP: $39.95
Prebook date: 3/21/06
Street date: 4/25/06

Harlan County, U.S.A. - In 1973, when the Brookside coal miners voted to join the United Mine Workers union, The Duke Power Company refused to sign the union's contact. The struggle that broke out between the company and the workers was brilliantly documented by Barbara Kopple in this Academy Award­winning documentary. With a haunting country and bluegrass soundtrack, Harlan County, U.S.A. is a powerful, sometimes heartbreaking record of the thirteen-month struggle between a community fighting to survive and a corporation dedicated to the bottom line.

Cat: HAR120
Title: Harlan County, U.S.A.
UPC: 0-37429-20832-8

Grey Gardens (two-disc edition) - Meet Big and Little Edie Beale--high society dropouts, mother and daughter, reclusive cousins of Jackie O.--thriving together amid the decay and disorder of their ramshackle East Hampton mansion. This intimate portrait has since become a cult classic and established Little Edie as a fashion icon and philosopher queen. Now available as a two-disc edition with newly available supplements.

Cat: CC1629D
Title: Grey Gardens
UPC: 7-15515-01792-3

ATTN CANADA: The 400 Blows is available for all Canada. Monterey Pop, Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey, Elevator to the Gallows, Harlan County, U.S.A., and Grey Gardens are available in English Canada only.

AZAI

#155 Post by AZAI » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:06 pm

For those collectors who just started of and don't have the money to order the Doinel boxset, such as myself, 400 blows is a fantastic 'new' release.
AND it has a SRP of $29,95, which is for a criterion dirt cheap, considering all the extras! (Do you think Antoine et Colette stays on the disc?)
Last edited by AZAI on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redbill

#156 Post by redbill » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:44 pm

AZAI wrote:For those collectors who just started of and don't have the money to order the Doinel boxset, such as myself, 400 blows is a fantastic 'new' release.
AND it has a SRP of $29,95, which is for a criterion dirt cheap, especially considering all the extras! (Do you think Antoine et Colette stays on the disc?)
I would guess not, only because the "official" name of the disk in the box is "The 400 Blows with Antoine and Collette" This press release only says "The 400 Blows"... just a thought

AZAI

#157 Post by AZAI » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:15 pm

That's true, but only in this case I hope the people at Criterion will be cheapskates: no re-authoring of the DVD, a remaster isn't necessary and they have my blessing to even keep the artwork intact....because the look of it (the entire box for that matter) is just great...

Andre Jurieu

#158 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:06 am

redbill wrote:I would guess not, only because the "official" name of the disk in the box is "The 400 Blows with Antoine and Collette" This press release only says "The 400 Blows"... just a thought
I don't know if that really settles things. Tout Va Bien is used as the "official" name of Criterion's DVD, but Letter to Jane is included in the complete DVD package. Just wait for the official announcement on the website, I guess.

kappoka

#159 Post by kappoka » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:26 am

It will be interesting to see which cover design they'll use.

I will poke around and try to find out what supplements they'll include but I have a feeling I'm not gonna get much of an answer.

Jeff

#160 Post by Jeff » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:51 pm

swimminghorses wrote:
"so we bought the one disc in good faith and now a two disc pops
up. it sounds like the double dipping of the major studios, what's up?"

I'm assuming that you are talking about Grey Gardens here, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see how this qualifies as malicious "double-dipping" or any other unsavory tactic on Criterion's part. I can understand when people get upset when a special edition is announced a few weeks after the standard edition is released; I remember this happening with Buena Vista and Criterion's versions of Rushmore.

In this case though, it has been four and a half years since Criterion's single disc release of Grey Gardens. I don't really think that Peter Becker sat in his office in 2001 and said, "I know how we'll squeeze every last penny out of those fuckers. We'll release a single-disc now, and then in April of 2006, we'll hit 'em with a two-disc...just when they least expect it. Zing!" The disc that they released then was very nice, and comparable to other contemporaneous releases. Should they have not released it then, in the hope that several years later there would be renewed interest in the film, and new supplements would be made available? Or, should they sit on the newly acquired supplements, so as not to offend those who bought the old version? I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they will be offering the supplements separately, but I wouldn't have been remotely offended if they had not. Also, I don't see how this is any different than the previous reissues of M, Wages of Fear, or Beauty and the Beast. I happily upgraded those discs, and was glad to see Criterion re-visit them. I hope that they continue to look for opportunities to improve their existing releases.

ellipsis7

#161 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:02 am

400 BLOWS single disc will have a full complement of extras...

Image site confirms these -

Two audio commentaries for The 400 Blows
Rare audition footage of Jean-Pierre Leaud, Patrick Auffay and Richard Kanayan
Newsreel footage of Jean-Pierre Leaud in Cannes for the showing of The 400 Blows
Excerpt from a French TV program with Truffaut discussing his youth
TV interview with Truffaut about the global reception of The 400 Blows
Theatrical trailer for The 400 Blows
New and improved English subtitle translations
New digital transfers of The 400 Blows and Antoine and Colette

AZAI

#162 Post by AZAI » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:15 am

YES! that is great news!

tryavna

#163 Post by tryavna » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:59 am

Sounds like it's exactly the same as the current release available in the Doinel boxset. If you've got that, I see absolutely no reason to pick this one up. Criterion/Image is obviously just making it available separately.

Cinephrenic

#164 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:49 pm

I really certainly hope they have a different cover or at least the original old cover on this. Or there will be (as someone put it) a Banana Republic sweater for a DVD image.

Max von Mayerling

#165 Post by Max von Mayerling » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 pm

This 400 blows news is fantastic. I wasn't expecting all the extras. I'm sure it will be a different cover. The sweater is part of an overall concept that goes with the suitcase slipcase. Outside of that it doesn't make any sense. I bet it will be a completely new cover design - different both from the first release & the boxset version.

exte

#166 Post by exte » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm glad I held out for this for so long. That box set was so tempting, but just not for me, especially at the price they're asking...

AZAI

#167 Post by AZAI » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:46 am

tryavna wrote:Sounds like it's exactly the same as the current release available in the Doinel boxset. If you've got that, I see absolutely no reason to pick this one up. Criterion/Image is obviously just making it available separately.
Do you really think that is the case? really? I had no idea at all....thanks for pointing that out to us :?

ByMarkClark.com

#168 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:29 am

Yes, all those extras are included on the 400 BLOWS disc in the Doinel boxed set. (Which, btw, I have and which was absolutely worth every penny, imho.)

tryavna

#169 Post by tryavna » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:56 am

AZAI wrote:
tryavna wrote:Sounds like it's exactly the same as the current release available in the Doinel boxset. If you've got that, I see absolutely no reason to pick this one up. Criterion/Image is obviously just making it available separately.
Do you really think that is the case? really? I had no idea at all....thanks for pointing that out to us :?
Well, since I have the boxset in hand, I thought I'd save people who didn't the trouble of looking up the info themselves. I guess any attempt to save people a few wasted seconds is only going to receive idiotic sarcasm.

Hope your unnecessary put-down made you feel better about your own existence for a few seconds....

kekid

#170 Post by kekid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:47 pm

The separate release of the 400 Blows DVD raises in my mind the following general question. If a label intends to issue individual films as well as a boxed set, how should it orchestrate the timing of releases? This question could be answered from the label's perspective, and also from the consumer perspective, with possibly different answers. The label might want to pursue a strategy that maximizes its revenues and profit. The consumer might have the dual objectives of avoiding multiple purchases and getting immediate gratification. So, what would the members of this forum prefer: (1) a simultaneous release of individual DVDs and the box, (2) the box released first, followed by the individual DVDs after a hiatus, or (3) some or all of individual DVDs released first, followed by the box? If consumers have a consensus on this issue, perhaps we can communicate it to producers (at least to Criterion). As we formulate this view, we should try to also think of what might be the preferred strategy of the producers. I have placed this question here, but if the editor feels it belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

skuhn8

#171 Post by skuhn8 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:52 pm

kekid wrote:The separate release of the 400 Blows DVD raises in my mind the following general question. If a label intends to issue individual films as well as a boxed set, how should it orchestrate the timing of releases? This question could be answered from the label's perspective, and also from the consumer perspective, with possibly different answers. The label might want to pursue a strategy that maximizes its revenues and profit. The consumer might have the dual objectives of avoiding multiple purchases and getting immediate gratification. So, what would the members of this forum prefer: (1) a simultaneous release of individual DVDs and the box, (2) the box released first, followed by the individual DVDs after a hiatus, or (3) some or all of individual DVDs released first, followed by the box? If consumers have a consensus on this issue, perhaps we can communicate it to producers (at least to Criterion). As we formulate this view, we should try to also think of what might be the preferred strategy of the producers. I have placed this question here, but if the editor feels it belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move it.
Isnt' the first option (#1) kind of the obvious choice? Choice being the key word.

viciousliar

#172 Post by viciousliar » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Oh, now I have to buy Grey Gardens twice. I do hope the "newly available" extra material is substantial. There were no details mentioned on Image's website.

criterionradiohead

#173 Post by criterionradiohead » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:29 pm

kekid wrote:The separate release of the 400 Blows DVD raises in my mind the following general question. If a label intends to issue individual films as well as a boxed set, how should it orchestrate the timing of releases? This question could be answered from the label's perspective, and also from the consumer perspective, with possibly different answers. The label might want to pursue a strategy that maximizes its revenues and profit. The consumer might have the dual objectives of avoiding multiple purchases and getting immediate gratification. So, what would the members of this forum prefer: (1) a simultaneous release of individual DVDs and the box, (2) the box released first, followed by the individual DVDs after a hiatus, or (3) some or all of individual DVDs released first, followed by the box? If consumers have a consensus on this issue, perhaps we can communicate it to producers (at least to Criterion). As we formulate this view, we should try to also think of what might be the preferred strategy of the producers. I have placed this question here, but if the editor feels it belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move it.
For me, the answer to this question depends on how Criterion intends to bring out new releases/improved re-releases alongside titles previously only available in a boxset. If it is anything like April 2006, and we receive only 2 new films and an improved re-release, I would prefer that Criterion go back to their previous strategy of only releasing select titles in boxsets. With that gripe set aside, the obvious choice for the fans would be #1, release boxsets and individual titles from those boxsets simultaneously. But I'm far from a business major, and have no idea if this is a profitable approach for a company like Criterion.

In a nut shell, I want whatever choice will provide the consumer with the most new quality releases, and most re-releases with improved sound and picture quality/added bonus materials every month.

Criterionradiohead :wink:

kekid

#174 Post by kekid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:49 pm

skuhn8 wrote:
Isnt' the first option (#1) kind of the obvious choice? Choice being the key word.
It would seem that way. But if you look at the track record of any label it is the least frequently used option.

zedz

#175 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:23 pm

kekid wrote:So, what would the members of this forum prefer: (1) a simultaneous release of individual DVDs and the box, (2) the box released first, followed by the individual DVDs after a hiatus, or (3) some or all of individual DVDs released first, followed by the box?
I'd prefer (1), but (2) probably makes more commercial sense, as in most cases with box sets there are one or two titles that are the primary selling points (the Doinel is an extreme case in point; the Wajda is another obvious example). I don't have a problem with either approach, so long as the individual release doesn't include exclusive material requiring double-dipping.

(3), or the Shitting On Your Customers option, is way too common. Other than "Collector's Sets" Criterion has fortunately taken pains to avoid this.