Female Filmmakers

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
rossbrew

#26 Post by rossbrew » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:24 pm

I'm praying to the gods above for a SE 3disc treatment of Nancy Walker's Can't Stop the Music (featuring the Village people!) on CC! Who's with me on this puppy?

Subbuteo

#27 Post by Subbuteo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:46 pm

Your on your own!

rossbrew

#28 Post by rossbrew » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:38 pm

come on, subby- ya know ya want it! Admit it- the Construction Worker member of the Village People was grossly snubbed that year at the Oscars!

KJB2

#29 Post by KJB2 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:29 pm

It's a complete long shot, but Marguerite Duras' India Song would make an excellent addition to the collection, methinks.

Cinephrenic

#30 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:49 pm

There has got to be some Lena Wertmuller for sure.

artfilmfan

#31 Post by artfilmfan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:55 pm

Maria Luisa Bemberg (Camila, 1984, Argentina)

Rupert Cadell

#32 Post by Rupert Cadell » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:10 pm

Wanda by Barbara Loden and India Song by Marguerite Duras are really good guesses, new(restored) prints were made, and they had recent theatrical re-releases.

Mr Pixies

#33 Post by Mr Pixies » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:24 pm

Rachel Talalay? Tank Girl is an underrated gem.

cbernard

#34 Post by cbernard » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:57 pm

Avenging Robot wrote:
cbernard wrote:Barbara Streisand
That's not funny!
http://chaumurky.net/criterion/catalogpage-200.html

What's in a price? Etc.

Keaton

#35 Post by Keaton » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:03 pm

Hi,

India Song would be fantastic, im already praying!

Regards,

Dennis :)

Cinephrenic

#36 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:24 pm

Barbara Streisand films are coming out in a box set. I don't remeber the studio, but it is on digital bits a few days ago.

devlinnn

#37 Post by devlinnn » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:23 pm

I'd be stuggling to find a Gillian Armstrong title strong enough for the collection. Jane Campion on the other hand...Sweetie, Two Friends, An Angel at My Table, all the early shorts. If only The Piano was available.

kiddish

#38 Post by kiddish » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:26 am

i'm surprised to see that Trinh Minh-ha is getting some love here. I had never heard of her or any of her films until I had a class with her at Cal.

She is the worst professor I have ever had. She is condescending to college students because they do not share the same enthuiasm that she has for certain films or because they disagree with her readings of certain films.

This one time, Prof. Trinh gives her usual long-winded interpretation of some two-minute short film she screened for us. Some kid asks if maybe there was another way of looking at it and provides filmic evidence to support his ideas. Without hestitation, she whispers into her microphone, "No," points to another student, "Next." All in one breath.

Grading was mostly based on participation, and by the end of the semester there were students repeating word for word what she had just said in order to get those participation points.

My memory of one such discussion
Professor Trinh: I believe the colors this filmmaker uses tell a different story from the obvious narrative.

Student Looking For Participation Points: Professor Trinh. I noticed that the colors this filmmaker uses tell a different story from the obvious narrative.

Professor Trinh: Very good. Next.

Another Such Student: I think that the filmmaker's use of color tells a very different story from the obvious narrative.

Professor Trinh: Very good. Next.

End Scene.

I'm curious about her films but, on principle, would not drop a penny to see them, especially if they came with a director's commentary track.

Let's get some Ackerman into the collection.

Jun-Dai
監督

#39 Post by Jun-Dai » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:49 am

Interesting. I know nothing of her as a person, but her films speak for themselves quite well. Anyways, there are probably very few filmmakers that I would actually want as professors (Scorsese? Bogdanovich?)

Steven H

#40 Post by Steven H » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:36 pm

...can anyone imagine Tarantino as a professor?

I would love to see Varda's shorts on DVD, let's hope this happens.

Brian Oblivious

#41 Post by Brian Oblivious » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:58 pm

harri wrote: I would love to see Varda's shorts on DVD, let's hope this happens.
Three played the Toronto Film Festival as a program entitled Cinévardaphoto. It's coming to New York's Film Forum in February.

The three are:
Ydessa, les ours et etc... (2004)
Ulysse (1982)
Salut les Cubains (1963)

Can a DVD release be far behind? (Criterion or otherwise?)

zedz

#42 Post by zedz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:18 am

Maybe I skimmed this too fast, but am I really the first person to suggest Claire Denis? Several great possibilities there, but I'd be especially thrilled by Nenette et Boni.

And Kira Muratova is a major filmmaker woefully underexposed. Something like The Asthenic Syndrome could certainly benefit from Criterion-style contextual material, but most of her films deserve the treatment.

It would also be great to see Chytilova's Daisies out - what a wild film! If that's not wild enough, though, how about Ulrike Ottinger? It'd be nice to find out once and for all that Dorian Gray As Represented in the Popular Press wasn't just a hallucination.

filmghost

#43 Post by filmghost » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am

I would second Chytilova's Daisies, but also Larisa Shepitko's "Voskhozhdeniye" / "Ascent" (1976) is a great film that could be an excellent addition in the Criterion Collection.

mingus

#44 Post by mingus » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:11 am

Jun-Dai wrote:Hmm. No one mentioned Maya Deren.
Her important films are already released by Mystic Fire Video.
Also the wonderful documentary on her life: "In the mirror of Maya Deren" was just released by Zeitgeist Video.

drpauligari

#45 Post by drpauligari » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:16 pm

It would also be great to see Chytilova's Daisies out - what a wild film!
Daisies is out on dvd. Unfortunately, it is a Facets release.

Back on subject, it would be good to have some of Anne-Marie Miéville's work see the light of day on dvd.

Ted Todorov

#46 Post by Ted Todorov » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:46 pm

Jun-Dai wrote:Anyways, there are probably very few filmmakers that I would actually want as professors (Scorsese? Bogdanovich?)
Bertrand Tavernier would make a spectacular film professor -- he knows and loves film, and is a superbly engaging public speaker. I would certainly agree about Scorsese as well.

On topic: Suzannne Schiffman is credited as co-director on the full length version of Rivette's Out 1. So if Criterion releases it, not only will they finally give us the opportunity to see a legendary but impossible to see film, they will be releasing a film by a woman director as well.

Ted

kieslowski

#47 Post by kieslowski » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:15 pm

Prince of Tides anyone ?
This was addressed on the previous page... I love Criterion's subtle but barbed hint that Streisand is a nightmare to work with (I particularly like the arch use of the word "granting"):
She brought the same high standards to this disc, refining it over two years before granting us her approval.

yoshimori

#48 Post by yoshimori » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:09 pm

Sandrine Veysset's "Will It Snow for Christmas?" or any other of her works would make me cream!

More Claire Denis? Yes! With commentary, please. Heard her talk about Beau Travail at the DGA a couple years back. Intelligent and huh-larious.

Agnes Merlet's "Son of a Shark" was nice, and not yet available.

Doctor Sunshine

#49 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:06 am

Not a recomendation but a question: is Sara Driver any good? I have yet to find any of her films but I can't imagine Jarmusch would marry a hack, would he?

mikebowes

#50 Post by mikebowes » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:15 pm

I met Sara a couple of months ago after a screening of "When Pigs Fly;" she mentioned that she was just about to get the rights back and was going to get it released on DVD. She did not mention any companies, and it sounded like she was going to maybe do in independently.

The film is a mixed bag (esp. acting). RM's images are amazing and it is full of antiquated special effects. They actually got to meet with the camera man for Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast and used a lot of the same in-camera techniques based on their conversations with him. It would be great to get this disc with a commentary by Sara and Robby talking about the production though. Those techniques are soon to be lost to history.