Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
jaredsap

#876 Post by jaredsap » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:24 pm

bjeggert82 wrote:I think it's the only Mamet movie not on R1 DVD yet, so it would make sense. Although "Things Change" and "The Winslow Boy" are both out of print I think, so either of those would be nice too.
I'm pretty sure THINGS CHANGE is owned outright by Columbia. THE SPANISH PRISONER (which is also out of print) and THE WINSLOW BOY were distributed by Sony (both theatrically and on disc), but perhaps their rights expired.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#877 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:25 pm

I am pretty sure Winslow Boy is still in print?

malcolm1980

#878 Post by malcolm1980 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:55 pm

I would like Criterion to delve into Filipino cinema for one of their future DVD projects. Here's a list of 100 suggestions courtesy of Noel Vera.

In case you were wondering, I've only seen about a dozen of these films.

Gigi M.

#879 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Now that Mishima has been confirmed, how about a double discer of Blue Collar? I believe Universal holds the rights.

jaredsap

#880 Post by jaredsap » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:04 pm

Gigi M. wrote:Now that Mishima has been confirmed, how about a double discer of Blue Collar? I believe Universal holds the rights.
That would be awesome -- it's an excellent film that deserves much more of a reputation. Just as I was hoping that Criterion welcoming Mamet with HOUSE OF GAMES meant they'd also chase HOMICIDE, I've been hoping Schrader's inauguration with MISHIMA will lead them to BLUE COLLAR (and METROPOLITAN will lead to THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO, while YIYI leads to A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY). There aren't that many directors in the Collection with only one (in-print) film who don't at least have a second work joining eventually (e.g. Bertolucci, L. Anderson, Scorsese, Huston).

mikeohhh

#881 Post by mikeohhh » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:10 pm

jaredsap wrote:
Gigi M. wrote:YIYI leads to A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY
god, i motherfucking hope so!!

Soothsayer

#882 Post by Soothsayer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:09 pm

So... is CC ever gonna release Jeanne Dielman or not? (sorry if this has been answered here before, I'm still relatively new to this forum)

backstreetsbackalright

#883 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:36 am

Soothsayer wrote:So... is CC ever gonna release Jeanne Dielman or not?
Who knows. Meantime, you can (and should!) pick up this, English subs and all!

Soothsayer

#884 Post by Soothsayer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:58 pm

backstreetsbackalright wrote:
hehe, that was my final debate, whether I wait for CC to release this or I use this boxset as my jumping off point to get a region-free player. I think I'll probably go with this boxset, thanks for the recommendation!

kekid

#885 Post by kekid » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:20 pm

backstreetsbackalright wrote:
Unfortunately Mediadis has been most uncooperative in shipping this box to American customers. I know several people in United States who did not get it from them. And they did not even respond to e-mails sent to their customer service address asking for reasons.

I am not sure what the problem is. I can understand if they did not want to ship in bulk to distributors, but this is my first experience of the sole supplier of an item refusing to ship to individual consumer.

If some people in US have succeeded in getting this from Mediadis then their behavior should be considered even more reprehensible in randomly choosing who they ship to and who they do not. Their nominal explanation (your bank did not accept this transaction) is untrue.

Doctor Sunshine

#886 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Since they've raided every other film in this list, I am randomly speculating that Criterion will also release Pabst's Comradeship.

Cinephrenic

#887 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Janus does have the rights to this.

zedz

#888 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:01 pm

Doctor Sunshine wrote:Since they've raided every other film in this list, I am randomly speculating that Criterion will also release Pabst's Comradeship.
Westfront 1918 is also on there - an obvious partner for Kameradschaft.

Cinephrenic

#889 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Does anyone know why The Unbearable Lightness of Being Warner 2-disc is out-of-print? Did someone pick this up?

blindside8zao

#890 Post by blindside8zao » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 pm

I don't know, but I do know it has been out of print for a while. An oddly short running for the DVD.

dadaistnun

#891 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:55 am

How about Hal Ashby's The Landlord? It's MGM (not that we know the specifics of this supposed MGM-Criterion deal, but isn't that what random speculation is all about?).

Matt

#892 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:26 am

dadaistnun wrote:How about Hal Ashby's The Landlord? It's MGM (not that we know the specifics of this supposed MGM-Criterion deal, but isn't that what random speculation is all about?).
It's playing at Film Forum next week. It doesn't specify a new print, but maybe a DVD is not far off from someone.

justeleblanc

#893 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:27 am

Matt wrote:
dadaistnun wrote:How about Hal Ashby's The Landlord? It's MGM (not that we know the specifics of this supposed MGM-Criterion deal, but isn't that what random speculation is all about?).
It's playing at Film Forum next week. It doesn't specify a new print, but maybe a DVD is not far off from someone.
New 35 mm print

jaredsap

#894 Post by jaredsap » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:08 am

LightBulbFilm wrote:
jackson_browne wrote:Anyone know what this is all about?
Although highly unlikely, maybe they made amends with Lynch. Maybe they had a secret deal going on this whole time...
I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's still intriguing to note that The Nuart (in LA) is screening a new 35mm print of ERASERHEAD in November. I wonder who paid for that...

miless

#895 Post by miless » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:05 pm

jaredsap wrote:The Nuart (in LA) is screening a new 35mm print of ERASERHEAD in November. I wonder who paid for that...
that's huge news, seeming as last I heard David Lynch did not want to create new prints of Eraserhead because it was too time consuming to create a print to his satisfaction (I'm betting he's been working on this new 35mm print since he started doing the DVD many years ago). plus, I was under the impression that the original source material was fairly damaged.

portnoy

#896 Post by portnoy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:01 pm

For what it's worth, a new print played MoMA in January. It's really beautiful, but the restoration was done by MoMA in association with the Film Foundation and the HFPA. Janus isn't connected in any way.

Macintosh

#897 Post by Macintosh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:02 pm

jaredsap wrote:I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's still intriguing to note that The Nuart (in LA) is screening a new 35mm print of ERASERHEAD in November. I wonder who paid for that...
Thanks for telling me this. Maybe we should organize a .org group to meet up at this screening? Just an idea.

jaredsap

#898 Post by jaredsap » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Macintosh wrote:
jaredsap wrote:I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's still intriguing to note that The Nuart (in LA) is screening a new 35mm print of ERASERHEAD in November. I wonder who paid for that...
Thanks for telling me this. Maybe we should organize a .org group to meet up at this screening? Just an idea.
I'm definitely game -- I'll private message you. Let's say anyone else who's interested should do likewise.

kinjitsu

#899 Post by kinjitsu » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:04 pm

That listing has been on DVD Empire for years now and is entirely meaningless, not to mention that it has been brought up countless times hereabouts.

For future reference, the Eraserhead discussion is located here.

Alain3000

#900 Post by Alain3000 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:44 pm

I asked about some Rosi titles:
Any future Criterion plans for the following Francesco Rosi titles: Many Wars Ago, The Mattei Affair, Lucky Luciano, and Illustrious Corpses?
and this was the answer:
To the best of my knowledge, we don't have plans at this time for the Rosi titles you mentioned in your email. Title suggestions are always welcome though, so thanks for taking the time to write in!

Sincerely,

Tamara