American Masters/Experience Episodes on Criterion Releases

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
BigMack3000

American Masters/Experience Episodes on Criterion Releases

#1 Post by BigMack3000 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:05 am

Is there a list for what releases contain episodes of American Masters or Experience? I've been catching up on these shows the last few weeks, and older episodes are nearly impossible to find anywhere.

cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: American Masters/Experience Episodes on Criterion Releases

#2 Post by cdnchris » Tue May 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Ah, so one of the new features on this site (when it does get deployed) will keep track of programs like this. Looking up American Masters I only see episodes on two titles:

Sullivan's Travels
Martha Graham: Dance on Film

The caveat here is that it's more than likely not a complete list as I'm still sorting through data entry.

Edit: Before Sunset also has an episode.

Cash Flagg

#3 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Midnight Cowboy includes the Waldo Salt episode.

hearthesilence

#4 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 pm

A lot of studio reissues used to tap into American Masters for bonuses - I wonder if there's a review site that has a search engine that can bring up the titles? I would recommend IMDB but I don't think they actually track which episodes were licensed out and where.

FWIW, it can be a fine program, but American Masters/Experience episodes are wildly inconsistent in terms of quality. Ironically, one of their worst (The Battle Over Citizen Kane, distorted to the point of grossly inaccurate sensationalism) snagged an Oscar nomination and inspired a similarly terrible HBO movie. But one of their most brilliant moves was asking Elaine May to make an episode on friend and collaborator Mike Nichols - that one is worthy of a Blu-Ray release of its own.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5 Post by cdnchris » Tue May 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Before Sunset also has one

BigMack3000

#6 Post by BigMack3000 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Yes, that Nichols episode was fantastic.

The quality can certainly be wide ranging, but there's some early episodes I'd love to find. Like Buster Keaton - Hard Act to Follow, Lillian Gish - the Actor's Life for Me, Preston Sturges - Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer, Martin Scorsese Directs, etc.

I have also found Harold Lloyd - The Third Genius on the Safety Last release. And Richard Linklater - Dream is Destiny on the Before Trilogy Boxset.

hearthesilence

#7 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 12, 2020 3:35 pm

BigMack3000 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:20 pm
The quality can certainly be wide ranging, but there's some early episodes I'd love to find. Like Buster Keaton - Hard Act to Follow, Lillian Gish - the Actor's Life for Me, Preston Sturges - Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer, Martin Scorsese Directs, etc.
Were you primarily looking to own a copy, or were you hoping to simply see these again as well? The Buster Keaton (I, II, III) and the Preston Sturges episodes are on YouTube, so you can watch them there. The one on Lillian Gish is actually available to rent on Vimeo (for $4.99).

FWIW, the Keaton one is actually Kevin Brownlow's great documentary, which I recall watching on AMC in the mid-90's when they had a day-long Buster Keaton marathon (during a week-long silent film marathon) to raise funds for silent film restoration. It was issued on DVD as part of the Buster Keaton Chronicles, now OOP, so maybe it'll get another release soon - any good reissue producer will know about it.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Tue May 12, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMack3000

#8 Post by BigMack3000 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Thank you very much for those links! I'm looking to watch, but own if it's the only way to do so.

BigMack3000

#9 Post by BigMack3000 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

I might as well also ask here if there is any place to watch "An American Family"?