Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

#26 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:07 pm

Yay for Atlantics but why no Buster Scruggs or Meyerowitz Stories?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:13 pm

These are all licenses from the last year, it may be a contractual thing, or there are more licenses and Netflix is only mentioning recent releases

Big Ben

#28 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I've no doubt the Coens have the leeway to make it happen as well.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#29 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:17 pm

I cannot believe that Netflix wouldn't put out at least the Scorsese by themselves. Maybe the stylized one-sheet will also double as a cover?

yoloswegmaster

#30 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:22 pm

That one-sheet is something else.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Surprised by the American Factory pick up... did the Obamas promise to participate in the extras? Def want to see President Obama in the closet

yoloswegmaster

#32 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Forget about Obama, just imagine Joe Pesci in the closet.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#34 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:39 pm

Coming to this developing news late, so give me just a moment to bring in this soapbox and old-fashioned giant cone megaphone...

...WHAT ABOUT ERROL MORRIS’ WORMWOOD?!?!

rapta

#35 Post by rapta » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:39 pm
Coming to this developing news late, so give me just a moment to bring in this soapbox and old-fashioned giant cone megaphone...

...WHAT ABOUT ERROL MORRIS’ WORMWOOD?!?!
Agreed. Also Into the Inferno, Private Life, Okja, maybe even The Laundromat and/or High Flying Bird?

I'm guessing Mank will be considered (Mindhunter might be a bit of a push for Criterion though) and potentially the new Charlie Kaufman or Spike Lee joints (and Ben Wheatley's Rebecca adaptation).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:53 pm

Give me Maniac or give me, well, not death because they’re never gonna release it

therewillbeblus

#37 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm

Maniac would be perfect for extras because its layered content is so accurate on literal and metaphysical levels of modern therapeutic practice and theory, perhaps more than anything else in the medium. If you’re reading this, Criterion, I’ll write an essay

ford

#38 Post by ford » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:57 pm

With regard to Netflix movies, isn’t it preferable to watch them via HDR streaming than a Blu-ray Disc? The Irishman looked great streaming on my 4K tv in Dolby Vision.

ianungstad

#39 Post by ianungstad » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Gerald's Game (Mike Flanagan) is one of Netflix's best. Criterion probably has no interest but it's worth mentioning.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:22 pm

I think it's fair to say the most likely candidates are films by directors already in the CC and/or former presidents of the United States

jazzo

#41 Post by jazzo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:51 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Maniac would be perfect for extras because its layered content is so accurate on literal and metaphysical levels of modern therapeutic practice and theory, perhaps more than anything else in the medium. If you’re reading this, Criterion, I’ll write an essay
Not that it’s the same quality as a Blu-ray, but I’m fairly certain these Emmy screener DVDs are pressed, just in case anyone really needs to own a physical copy.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=man ... 2&_sacat=0

I picked up a fairly cheap DVD set of the Sam Esmail series, Homecoming, and was more than satisfied with the presentation. The packaging far surpassed most wide-release discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EddieLarkin

#42 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 am

ford wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:57 pm
With regard to Netflix movies, isn’t it preferable to watch them via HDR streaming than a Blu-ray Disc? The Irishman looked great streaming on my 4K tv in Dolby Vision.
I can't speak to Roma but I tried watching The Irishman in 4K Dolby Vision on Netflix and found it to be little more than a soup of horrible compression noise, as bad as one sees on only the very worst of poorly encoded discs (and just for the record, I'm using fibre optic that typically gives speeds of around 50-100mbps minimum, so it's nothing to do with that).

And in comparing the HDR and SDR grades found the former to be in very minimal usage, such that one isn't losing a whole lot by watching the latter.

So I'm quite looking forward to the CC disc, despite being a huge fan of 4K HDR in general, and will wait for its release before bothering with the film again. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer a UHD, but I don't think this film is the one to start a protest over.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#43 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am

Remember however that 50-100mbps minimum bandwidth equals a total bitrate of 6-13 Mbps (ie including soundtrack and subtitles etc). I suppose however that you're getting a much better routine connection. If your connection is like mine (optic fiber too), my Speed Test runs were rather around 600mbps.

From what I read, Netflix 4K streams anyway usually have a 15.5 Mbps average total bitrate, and soundtracks are quite compressed (on the paper by using DD+ 640kbps, but I've also read in terms of mixing too). In the case of The Irishman, the 2160p HDR files on the internet show a 17.4 Mbps AVB, which is about on par with these more general figures.

There's only so much you can achieve with that, even more so in 4K.

brundlefly

#44 Post by brundlefly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Kirsten Johnson's Dick Johnson is Dead is coming from Netflix and seems like a possibility.

flyonthewall2983

#45 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:19 am

I wonder if this deal will prevent any more titles from Amazon, or if they'll be cool with this.

Yaanu

#46 Post by Yaanu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:01 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:19 am
I wonder if this deal will prevent any more titles from Amazon, or if they'll be cool with this.
It's not as though Netflix bought out Janus Films, so I imagine nothing will prevent Amazon from releasing through Criterion in the future.
Hell, this may push Amazon to start releasing more movies through Criterion as well.

jedgeco

#47 Post by jedgeco » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:45 pm

I'm really floored (in a good way) that The Irishman is coming to physical media. Given that Netflix put up all the money for it, I'd assumed they would keep it exclusively on Netflix forever.

Close The Door, Raymond

#48 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 pm

According to Variety: "Each Criterion Collection release will include exclusive behind-the-scenes content, special features and a filmmaker-supervised master." If this is true, it's very likely that "The Irishman" may actually be a 2-disc blu-ray release.

britcom68

#49 Post by britcom68 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 am

At the Wexner Center last night, Margaret Bodde of the Film Foundation confirmed that Rolling Thunder Revue will be released by Criterion. She did not go into any release dates, special features or anything else other than she was aware Scorsese was already working on this.

In the same line of Q and A, she and Grover Crisp also confirmed that American Factory were also forthcoming, again though, no discussion on dates or supplements.

ianungstad

#50 Post by ianungstad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:50 pm

I wonder if they have any interest in Springsteen on Broadway.