The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
dimipolexG

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#301 Post by dimipolexG » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 am

Having a minor problem with the channel's search function. When I search for something, there are two sets of results that appear, 'collections' and 'videos'. I can 'load more' results from the 'videos' section, but the problem is there is no such option for the 'collections'. I don't remember having this issue a couple of months back. Anyone else having this problem?

willoneill

#302 Post by willoneill » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:30 am

dimipolexG wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 am
Having a minor problem with the channel's search function. When I search for something, there are two sets of results that appear, 'collections' and 'videos'. I can 'load more' results from the 'videos' section, but the problem is there is no such option for the 'collections'. I don't remember having this issue a couple of months back. Anyone else having this problem?
Same problem, but only on my laptop (with Chrome as the browser). Search works fine on the iOS app. Haven't done a search lately on AppleTV or Amazon Firestick.

The Pachyderminator

#303 Post by The Pachyderminator » Sun May 23, 2021 11:19 pm

Has anyone had an issue where Criterion Channel plays a shaky, juddery picture, as if frames are being dropped, when connected to a monitor/TV via HDMI? It's perfectly smooth when played directly on my laptop screen. Seems to happen the same in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.

Pavel

#304 Post by Pavel » Mon May 24, 2021 1:25 am

Oh yes, that used to happen to me a lot. Dunno what I did to fix it — as far as I know it just stopped. I tried switching browsers a few times, and sometimes that offered a temporary solution (and when the issue started happening on that browser, I switched again), but that clearly didn't work for you

andpan85

#305 Post by andpan85 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:28 am

I just HAD to register to the forum and post a reply as I was amazed this happened to so many people and hasn't been resolved yet!

For me the fix was easier than I thought! After i streamed to my TV via Airplay on my phone and still had the stuttering/frame jump/skipping image problem I just skipped back to the beginning of the movie with the back arrow on my remote control to let the streaming movie buffer a bit and noticed that after I let it play again it was smooth! Does this work for you too??

flyonthewall2983

#306 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 am

I wonder if the first 4K releases means eventually we’ll get 4K streaming on the channel eventually?

JakeStewart

#307 Post by JakeStewart » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:46 pm

Is anyone having trouble with their Roku app today? Any time I go to play a film, there is no picture or sound.

dwk

#308 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:12 am

Yes. It is weird, it has been working on the cheap Roku television in my bedroom. I just checked on the Roku hooked up to the television in the living room and that isn't working. So I went back to my bedroom to finish watching The Longest Day on said cheap Roku television and now that one isn't working. (sigh, I should have finished the movie before checking the Roku in the living room.)

fdm

#309 Post by fdm » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:18 am

Yup, seems to be broken. I get black picture with spinning circle, then a failure message.

(Seems like Prime has changed its interface again also…)

The channel does seem to be working with Apple TV though.

JakeStewart

#310 Post by JakeStewart » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:22 am

Hopefully it’s just related to maintenance, because their app has been running pretty clunky for a while now. I think they’d send out a notification if it was that, though. I’m not subscribed to the Arrow streaming service anymore to check and see if that’s working. Both use the same program, software, etc.

dwk

#311 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 am

It is working again on the Roku television in my bedroom (but it forgot where I left off.)

ftsoh

#312 Post by ftsoh » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:39 pm

I tried to watch Rouge last night with my Roku Ultra and had the same problem. Tried again just now and it is still the same. Restarted the system did not help either.
Contacted support but their response is as useful as giving me sand when I am in a desert. Just asking questions for info that is already in my request.

ryannichols7

#313 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Intentions of Murder amazingly playing for me on Roku - earlier I couldn't get Bad Day at Black Rock going and had the same issue you guys describe

JakeStewart

#314 Post by JakeStewart » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 pm

I guess we now have the Intentions of Murder Channel. That’s the only movie I can get to play, too.

Edit: It seems to be a problem only with movies that aren’t “permanently” on the channel. In addition to IoM, some other movies that work are Stray Dog, Death of a Cyclist and Judex. Even films that have been on the channel for over a year aren’t working, The Shop on Main Street, for example.

Matt

#315 Post by Matt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:16 pm

The Criterion Channel (at least on Apple TV) has unexpectedly added a “playback speed” option. It’s probably just an enhancement to the overall Vimeo platform that the service runs on, but having it appear at the same time as the Sight & Sound poll does give an amusing impression that they added it so people can speedrun Jeanne Dielman and still complain about its length.

Criterion, if you are reading this, please don’t suppress this option! It’s actually great for commentaries and interviews (and Otto Preminger films).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#316 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:26 pm

And for scouring films for screenshots! (I wish they had 4x and 8x options for this)

tlh

#317 Post by tlh » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:26 pm

hello,

I apologize if/assume this has been asked before, but it seems like this is the best place to ask--

I recently got a TCL 4k tv, with android/google built in. When I use the Criterion Channel app (through the android hub built in to the tv) it appears as though something is happening with the frame rate so as to cause everything to skip and judder. My TV has a "movie" mode picture setting that I use with blu-rays/4ks--I turn this on usually to fix any slight audio sync issues I experience, which I think is related to the frame rate as well...anyway, activating the movie mode picture setting doesn't fix this issue on the CC though...nothing does! It's just the CC--Mubi plays perfectly, and CC plays perfectly on my other tv (Roku tv)-- are there any known solutions to this problem other than like, buying a roku stick for my TV just to use this one app? There doesn't seem to be much on the internet about this issue but it seems it's definitely got something to do with the android tv app...any ideas?

ntnon

#318 Post by ntnon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:28 am

Has anybody else noticed that in recent months the curated collections are no longer in release order? Any idea why, and/or what - if any - ordering system is now being used?

HitchcockLang

#319 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:17 am

tlh wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:26 pm
hello,

I apologize if/assume this has been asked before, but it seems like this is the best place to ask--

I recently got a TCL 4k tv, with android/google built in. When I use the Criterion Channel app (through the android hub built in to the tv) it appears as though something is happening with the frame rate so as to cause everything to skip and judder. My TV has a "movie" mode picture setting that I use with blu-rays/4ks--I turn this on usually to fix any slight audio sync issues I experience, which I think is related to the frame rate as well...anyway, activating the movie mode picture setting doesn't fix this issue on the CC though...nothing does! It's just the CC--Mubi plays perfectly, and CC plays perfectly on my other tv (Roku tv)-- are there any known solutions to this problem other than like, buying a roku stick for my TV just to use this one app? There doesn't seem to be much on the internet about this issue but it seems it's definitely got something to do with the android tv app...any ideas?
I've had the exact problem you've mentioned on my Samsung smart TV and have read about other issues with Samsung TVs and the Criterion Channel. At regular intervals, it's almost like an extra duplicate frame is inserted giving the image a rhythmic judder. Has made it unwatchable for me whereas my old TCL Roku TV worked fine. I think there is an issue (and has been for a while) with the apps performance on Samsung / Android.

fdm

#320 Post by fdm » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:03 pm

The Apple TV app was that way in its early years, it was eventually fixed though. Roku's app never had that particular sort of problem.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#321 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:21 pm

Is the channel down now for anyone else?

fdm

#322 Post by fdm » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:43 am

Working here… haven't been watching it but I just checked.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#323 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:06 am

Well it wasn't connecting earlier on either my TV or computer, but it is working again now