Criterion and UHD

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Criterion and UHD

#451 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm

This year is the 20th anniversary of Royal Tenenbaums...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#452 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:24 pm

And Mulholland Dr.

dwk

#453 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:43 pm

I'm leaning towards the mystery film being over 20 years old (otherwise, why say the last 30 years instead of the last 20 years.) s
So, how about Fargo, which is 25, the Shout Factory disc is OOP and Criterion has a relationship with the Coens.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#454 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:22 pm

Why say "from the last 30 years" if what you mean is "from the '90s"?

dwk

#455 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:27 pm

That is true.

yoloswegmaster should be ashamed of theirself for not being more specific in the time frame.

captveg

#456 Post by captveg » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:01 pm

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:14 pm
Kino just announced they'll be releasing The Silence of the Lambs on 4KUHD, so we can rule that out for Criterion.
KL Insider also confirmed "Yes, we have more" when asked if they have 4K UHD rights to any other Criterion MGM licensed titles. They also stated that some of the 12 MGM 4K UHDs from the new deal are "some 50s titles", and I gotta think those two statements may crossover.

dwk

#457 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I think Some Like it Hot is the only 50s MGM title that has a 4K master (although I recall either The Killing or Paths of Glory were getting one, but I can't recall where I saw that).

yoloswegmaster

#458 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm

I can't find anything for The Killing but Paths of Glory was being restored by the Film Foundation a while back.

black&huge

#459 Post by black&huge » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 pm

I think what could be a very likely possiblity is Kino doing a 4k of Heaven's Gate.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#460 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:12 am

Speaking of MGM and KL, or maybe Criterion, Raging Bull also has its 40th anniversary this year, and the current blu-ray isn't anything to write home about. Haven't read anything about a 4K remaster anywhere, though.

dwk

#461 Post by dwk » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:18 am

Kino has said they don't have Raging Bull

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#462 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 am

Ah, OK. Also, the anniversary was last year. Just remembered that I revisited it recently, exactly because of its 40th.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#463 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:06 am

black&huge wrote:I think what could be a very likely possiblity is Kino doing a 4k of Heaven's Gate.
The current restoration is 2k only (the scan was 2k) and I doubt it has been restored again recently.

FrauBlucher

#464 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:40 am

Raging Bull was a Criterion Laser Disc

therewillbeblus

#465 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 am

UHF barely misses the 30 year mark, perhaps yoloswegmaster's intel was a typo and Criterion is entering Weird Al into the collection

yoloswegmaster

#466 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:21 am

I guess the jig is up...

omegadirective

#467 Post by omegadirective » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:14 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 am
UHF barely misses the 30 year mark, perhaps yoloswegmaster's intel was a typo and Criterion is entering Weird Al into the collection
(insert Fry "Shut up and take my money!" gif)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#468 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:01 pm

FD in HD on UHF UHD

FanaticalFilmFan51

#469 Post by FanaticalFilmFan51 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:59 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm
I think Some Like it Hot is the only 50s MGM title that has a 4K master (although I recall either The Killing or Paths of Glory were getting one, but I can't recall where I saw that).
Well dwk, although Some Like It Hot is certainly a classic comedy, it having been filmed in black & white, means that half of the visual advantage that films can gain by being converted to the UHD Blu-ray format, is immediately taken off of the table. Now please don't misunderstand me, because I love the amazing black & white cinematography of such films as Citizen Kane, Night Of The Hunter and In Cold Blood. However, with many movies, the wider color gamut that UHD Blu-ray can display, compared to 1080p Blu-ray's more limited rendering of color, results in UHD Blu-ray editions of movies providing a picture quality improvement over their 1080p Blu-ray counterparts, that's actually EASIER to notice for most people (at least for people possessing good color perception), than the improvement in fine detail that UHD video can provide compared to the lower resolution of the 1080p Blu-ray format.

Personally, I only first got to see the advantage of a wider color gamut, quite recently, right here at home, after obtaining a Panasonic UB-820 UHD Blu-ray player, so it could be teamed up with our 77" Sony A9G OLED flat panel. And after buying a few UHD Blu-ray discs of a few well liked movies, that my wife & I already had in our Blu-ray collection, I set out to make some A-B comparisons by playing the 1080p versions of a few movies in our Sony 1080p Blu-ray player, while the new 4K UHD Blu-ray version of each movie under comparison was being spun in the new Panny player. And the biggest difference observed between the 1080p editions of the films, and their 4K UHD Blu-ray counterparts, was quite obviously revealed, for example, in viewing Stanley Kubricks "Full Metal Jacket". Folks on this forum who have seen that 1987 film, will recall that about the last 35 or 40 minutes of it takes place in the 1968 battle in the South Vietnamese city of Hue. And what many who've seen the film, will no doubt recall, is how individual fires in buildings & rubble are spread across the landscape that Americans are trying to advance into. And when comparing the 2 disc versions of the movie, the HDR and wider color gamut of the UHD version not only has the fires being brighter & standing out more prominently against their surroundings, but also, the flames of the fires as shown in UHD/HDR, display strong tones of red & orange, mixed in with the yellow of the flames, which are color accents that can barely be seen among the yellow of the flames, which is the color that's really dominant in the fires on the 1080p Blu-ray. And after seeing that difference, some weeks back, I read comments from a reviewer of flat panel TVs, who said that UHD BDs featuring HDR (Some UHD 4K discs DON'T include HDR!), when shown on excellent UHD TVs capable of rendering good, bright HDR highlights, display a richness of color, and varying hues of color, that's largely lost from video seen on non-HDR capable TVs or with non-HDR video material, which just can't retain full color quality with bright highlights.

Anyhow folks, sorry if I put anyone to sleep with a very long winded explanation of why UHD Blu-rays with High Dynamic Range (HDR), lose a lot of their inherent picture advantage over what 1080p Blu-ray is capable of, when it comes to putting black & white films onto the newer format. That's why even though Schindler's List is one of my top favorite films, the 1080p Blu-ray version that we have, might never be replaced by the UHD disc version that's part of a 1700+ disc collection.
(BTW, didn't mean to indicate that we have anything close to 1700 UHD Blu-rays, as we have just 36 of those, along with 1048 1080p Blu-rays & about 650 DVDs)

funeralkraken

#470 Post by funeralkraken » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:55 pm

FanaticalFilmFan51 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:59 pm
dwk wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Well dwk, although Some Like It Hot is certainly a classic comedy, it having been filmed in black & white, means that half of the visual advantage that films can gain by being converted to the UHD Blu-ray format, is immediately taken off of the table. Now please don't misunderstand me, because I love the amazing black & white cinematography of such films as Citizen Kane, Night Of The Hunter and In Cold Blood. However, with many movies, the wider color gamut that UHD Blu-ray can display, compared to 1080p Blu-ray's more limited rendering of color, results in UHD Blu-ray editions of movies providing a picture quality improvement over their 1080p Blu-ray counterparts, that's actually EASIER to notice for most people (at least for people possessing good color perception), than the improvement in fine detail that UHD video can provide compared to the lower resolution of the 1080p Blu-ray format.

Personally, I only first got to see the advantage of a wider color gamut, quite recently, right here at home, after obtaining a Panasonic UB-820 UHD Blu-ray player, so it could be teamed up with our 77" Sony A9G OLED flat panel. And after buying a few UHD Blu-ray discs of a few well liked movies, that my wife & I already had in our Blu-ray collection, I set out to make some A-B comparisons by playing the 1080p versions of a few movies in our Sony 1080p Blu-ray player, while the new 4K UHD Blu-ray version of each movie under comparison was being spun in the new Panny player. And the biggest difference observed between the 1080p editions of the films, and their 4K UHD Blu-ray counterparts, was quite obviously revealed, for example, in viewing Stanley Kubricks "Full Metal Jacket". Folks on this forum who have seen that 1987 film, will recall that about the last 35 or 40 minutes of it takes place in the 1968 battle in the South Vietnamese city of Hue. And what many who've seen the film, will no doubt recall, is how individual fires in buildings & rubble are spread across the landscape that Americans are trying to advance into. And when comparing the 2 disc versions of the movie, the HDR and wider color gamut of the UHD version not only has the fires being brighter & standing out more prominently against their surroundings, but also, the flames of the fires as shown in UHD/HDR, display strong tones of red & orange, mixed in with the yellow of the flames, which are color accents that can barely be seen among the yellow of the flames, which is the color that's really dominant in the fires on the 1080p Blu-ray. And after seeing that difference, some weeks back, I read comments from a reviewer of flat panel TVs, who said that UHD BDs featuring HDR (Some UHD 4K discs DON'T include HDR!), when shown on excellent UHD TVs capable of rendering good, bright HDR highlights, display a richness of color, and varying hues of color, that's largely lost from video seen on non-HDR capable TVs or with non-HDR video material, which just can't retain full color quality with bright highlights.

Anyhow folks, sorry if I put anyone to sleep with a very long winded explanation of why UHD Blu-rays with High Dynamic Range (HDR), lose a lot of their inherent picture advantage over what 1080p Blu-ray is capable of, when it comes to putting black & white films onto the newer format. That's why even though Schindler's List is one of my top favorite films, the 1080p Blu-ray version that we have, might never be replaced by the UHD disc version that's part of a 1700+ disc collection.
(BTW, didn't mean to indicate that we have anything close to 1700 UHD Blu-rays, as we have just 36 of those, along with 1048 1080p Blu-rays & about 650 DVDs)
Have you ever seen any B&W films in 4K? General consensus seems to be that HDR has a benefit even for B&W cinematography; you mentioned Schindler's List, and here are a couple of excerpts from reviews of the UHD:
Blu-ray.com wrote: The Dolby Vision color grading offers an upward leap on level with that which the 4K resolution affords the material. Whites and lighter grays are much more brilliant, but firmly so, intense but not garish. Black level depth is particularly strong, dense and deep but never crushing out critical components in any frame under any lighting conditions, including dark and dense shadowy corners. The middle ground grayscale appears precise and perfectly balanced with much more nuanced gradation than is evident on the Blu-ray. As for the film's color bookends, they are handled well, boasting firm saturation and resplendent color accuracy with an obvious expansion in range, saturation, and nuance. The girl in the red coat, probably the most thematically critical character in the film, does not have her coat's color drastically altered. It remains a fairly understated, muted red, enough to stand apart from the surrounding grayscale but not enough to distract from the scene's emotional impact. Universal and the Dolby Vision colorists have finessed the color, carefully enhancing it without substantively changing the look, flow, and feel of the scene.
HighDefDigest wrote:On the other hand, the real win of this Dolby Vision HDR presentation is the improved contrast and brightness in Janusz Kaminski's cinematography. The gorgeous black-and-white photography benefits splendidly from richer, inkier blacks with excellent gradational differences between the various shades in the clothing and in the polished leather belts and boots of uniforms. The hauntingly striking imagery is often bathed in velvety, ebony shadows that penetrate deep into the screen, providing the 1.85:1 image with good dimensionality and strong delineation within the darkest corners. The upgrade also displays crisper, more intense whites in some articles of clothing, making the sight of black blood all the more dramatic and striking. Specular highlights enjoy a welcomed boost, showing better detailing within the brightest spots, allowing the light to glisten off faces, metallic objects and watery surfaces with a realistic splendor and glow. And finally, the Girl in Red's jacket comes in a slightly deeper, crimson shade, making this home video edition a beautiful presentation.
DVDBeaver wrote:I was personally very impressed by the power of Dolby Vision (or HDR to those without a Dolby Vision setup) on a Black & White film. Let it be known that the power of HDR to show a wider color gamut relies not only on color, but on light. The lighting (and lack thereof, only more impressive on our OLED TV, capable of near total darkness) in this film now shows a multitude of gradients within the set parameters of Black and White (and gray), all while maintaining the integrity of the original image.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#472 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Someone please recommend a good 4k projector thank you.

criterionsnob

#473 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Wow, it's happening! Very excited for these, especially The Red Shows in 4K. I guess my hopes for The Archers complete UHD set are dashed for now.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#474 Post by cdnchris » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:28 pm

I'll let yoloswegmaster confirm the actual title if he wants, but I'll confirm the title that was hinted to be coming to UHD from Criterion is in that list.

captveg

#475 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:29 pm

A pretty great list of starter titles.