Shelf Help

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Shelf Help

#101 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Upper right is:

SC Alain Delon set with Purple Noon, L'Eclisse, Un Flic, Traitment de choc, and Flic Story
??
BFI Free Cinema set
??
Anna Magnani set with Assunta spina, Avanti a lui tremava tutta Roma, Quartetto pazzo, and Un uomo ritorna
Mon frère Jacques
Transit set with The Blue Angel, Die Drei von der Tankstelle, M, Der Kongreß tanzt, Lachende Erben, Amphitryon, Der Kaiser von Kalifornien, La Habanera, Münchhausen, and Titanic
??

dwk

#102 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm

The one between the Bogart and Kieslowski sets appears to be this Busby Berkeley collection

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#103 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 pm

I believe I see Herostratus on the middle left shelf, 7 left from Lubitsch in Berlin

Top left shelf also has BFI's Jeff Keen set and John Krish: A Day in the Life, plus a French set for Stray Dog, The Bad Sleep Well, and High and Low (third from the right)

Middle right shelf on the left looks like some set of war films by Carlton. I can make out In Which We Serve, A Town Like Alice, and We Dive at Dawn. I think it might also include some Powell & Pressburger films

zedz

#104 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Top shelf:
Various Keatons
Tragedy of Japan (Kinoshita?)
Jutra
GAZWRX
Traveller / Bread and Alley (Kiarostami)
Kinski: Jesus Christ Saviour
Various Kieslowskis
Fall Guy
Sword of Doom
(Unknown Japanese title)
Grands soirs et petit matins (William Klein)
Reins du tout (Klapisch)
After the Rain (Koizumi)
Wake in Fright
Gallivant (Kotting)
Fanfan la tulips
A Day in the Life (Krish)
Kubrick Collection
Sandakan 8 (Kei Kumai)
Ichijo’s Wet Lust (Kumashiro)
The World of Geisha (Kumashiro)
I Live in Fear
Soul Power
(Unknown Japanese title)
Ran and other Kurosawas

Alain Delon box
European Cinema in 1909 (I think)
Free Cinema box
(Unknown)
Anna Magnani box
Mon Frere Jacques par Pierre Prevert
Early German sound films box

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#105 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 pm

On the left middle shelf, the red BFI release is indeed Herostratus. The MoC next to it is the regular release of Serpico, the Arrow on MoC's right is Tenderness of the Wolves, then Losey's Don Giovanni, then a DVD of Pagnol's La fille du puisatier. Slightly again on the right, the Eureka DVD is Trouble in Paradise. Just left of the Malle set is Polisse (by Maiwenn).
Below Summertime are 2 digibooks : these are French releases from TF1 : the one with the red top logo is Mortelle Randonnée and the blue logo is Garde à vue. There's a blue Amaray BR a bit on their left, also from TF1 and also from Miller : La petite voleuse. The Artificial Eye set looks like the Mizoguchi one.

The Gaumont set on the right is dedicated to early Gaumont short silent movies (Emile Cohl, Alice Guy, etc). It's called Gaumont Premier, and is the 2nd volume out of 2.
The Carlton set has In Which We Serve, A Town Like Alice, We Dive At Dawn, The Red Shoes, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oliver Twist, Henry V, Genevieve, Hamlet and I can't read the last one.

joshua

#106 Post by joshua » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:52 pm

The Japanese title next to Sword of Doom is Gate of Hell and the Japanese title next to Ran is Seven Samurai.

CantelopeSkiz

#107 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Bottom screen right:

Joan Crawford WB box vol 1 with Mildred Pierce missing
??? four title WB box, looks sealed
Harold Lloyd New Line box
2 TCM 4-film collections, no way to see which ones
??? 4 DVDs
Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection WB box, I think
??? WB box set with DVD missing
Kieslowski set, not sure from what label
Val Lewton box set at the end
The WB box next to Joan Crawford's is thr Barabara Stanwyck Signature Collection. It looks like the missing DVD is for Executive Suite
The TCM set on the left is John Wayne Westerns
The TCM set on the right is either American or Broadway Musicals
The next DVD, I can't quite make it out, but looks like it might read Tracey & Hepburn
Next are DVDs for Alice Adams and A Woman Rebels
There's a copy of The Maltese Falcon. I can't tell if it's beside, or a part of, a box set.
The next box set must be for Busby Berkeley, as I can make out spines reading Dames and 42nd Street.

yoloswegmaster

#108 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:30 am

It's been a while but here is some more shelf help on the right side:

criterionsnob

#109 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am

Well, I’ll start things off by saying there’s a giant King Kong poster, so they must be releasing that on UHD.

hearthesilence

#110 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:15 am

I thought this was going to be a thread on shelf advice for home collections. Then again, the steel shelves being used in those photos is a good idea - basically office supply shelving? Possibly costly and heavy to movie though.

therewillbeblus

#111 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:48 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am
Well, I’ll start things off by saying there’s a giant King Kong poster, so they must be releasing that on UHD.
Wouldn't that be strange for WA to release it on blu and then issue it to Criterion for UHD-only so soon?

Roger Ryan

#112 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:14 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:48 am
criterionsnob wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am
Wouldn't that be strange for WA to release it on blu and then issue it to Criterion for UHD-only so soon?
Just to clarify, this isn't the Criterion closet (I doubt they would have, among other titles, The Godfather Blu-ray set on their shelves), although this collection is mighty impressive.

therewillbeblus

#113 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:17 am

Oh I know it's not 'the closet', but it looks like a Janus collection of sorts- I assumed "they" was referring to Janus/Criterion

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#114 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:31 am

The theory is that Criterion purchases other companies' editions of films that they're working on, to help the Criterion editions be competitive. So perhaps Criterion is working on some Rozier, Saura, Pialat, etc.

dwk

#115 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 am

It is Criterion's reference disc library, but I don't think it is limited to just stuff they are working on. (Although I think someone mentioned that all the Carlos Saura titles recently added to the channel open with the Janus/Criterion logos. )

There were other shots of this room earlier in this thread and in those shots you can see a section of titles that they were working on or were recently released, but I don't see that section in this photo.

Roger Ryan

#116 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:39 am

dwk wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 am
It is Criterion's reference disc library, but I don't think it is limited to just stuff they are working on. (Although I think someone mentioned that all the Carlos Saura titles recently added to the channel open with the Janus/Criterion logos. )...
Right. Somehow I forgot what this thread was all about (neglecting to re-read the pages of earlier posts!). Sorry about that.

colinr0380

#117 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am

Next to the Godfather set is the Pathe boxset of Souleymane Cissé films.

criterionsnob

#118 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:08 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am
Next to the Godfather set is the Pathe boxset of Souleymane Cissé films.
Hoping for Yeelen if they are to release some Souleymane Cissé.

I also see:
José Luis Guerín
Jia Zhangke
Quay Brothers
Tourneur
Sirk
MOC Naruse Box

Calvin

#119 Post by Calvin » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:07 pm

The Potemkine Rozier set caught my eye, as did an mk2 Lucian Pintille release

ryannichols7

#120 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:52 pm

this is a crazy thread that I didn't know existed. very interesting to read it and actually see a lot of these editions actually happen over time..

we know Jia Zhangke's films are being worked on. so maybe it really isn't baseless to think the others are forthcoming (as noted, Saura currently has a big push on the channel with Janus logos). but as we know, stuff takes time. The Marseille Trilogy, The Breakfast Club, and The Lodger had short turnarounds judging from these posts, but Bringing Up Baby took years! I'm gonna dream the Murnau/Borzage/Fox and Ford at Fox boxes are next to the Criterion ones because someday they'll upgrade those to BD. ultimate dream, but obviously would take years

and of course, it all can mean nothing since The Godfather is there and we know that's not happening

dwk

#121 Post by dwk » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Came across this on twitter. I think those are cover designs beneath the calendar on the wall in the office.