Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
colinr0380

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#2576 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:32 pm

I agree with twbb on The Celebration and the beautiful cover for The Piano. Love the ascetic minimalism of Festen, and while it is likely just to reflect its presence as the first numbered Dogme film, I can only hope for a whole series of these to be released. Not so much for The Idiots (though that would be great) but things like Jean-Mar Barr's Lovers or the lesser known entries into the series to get their due. As to zedz's comment, Dogme has always been about setting restrictions in the official films and then rebelling against them in the non-numbered works directors go on to make. Everything that comes after kind of gets filtered through their Dogme film, even if many directors move from their Dogme film into more conventional filmmaking (Vinterberg was perhaps the most extreme example of this going from Festen to the hyper-stylised, extremely artificial and metaphorical It's All About Love), but Von Trier was the filmmaker who felt as if he carried the Dogme manifesto on into his non-Dogme films.

Dancer In The Dark in particular with the importance placed on its non-diegetic musical scenes (already ruling it out from Dogme classification) being filmed with 100 fixed cameras was done in the Dogme style whilst still subverting all the rules. As were Dogville and Manderlay in their lack of sets and obvious artificiality whilst still retaining the handheld camerawork and intense gaze on their characters. And the two series of The Kingdom would have been totally Dogme if not for all the ghostly apparitions! All those works also involve very famous names in the cast too. The Dogme rules could never be followed for an entire career, but as a single (and often singular) work in a director's career the restrictions created an interesting body of work.

The thing that I am really curious about seeing though would be that D-Day series, which seemed to cap off the first Dogme wave. Has that ever appeared anywhere?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2577 Post by cdnchris » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Sorry these are late. Bad news is that I'll probably be late this month as well, but hopefully things will go back to normal in December/January

Ratcatcher
Onibaba
High Sierra
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Devi

Finch

#2578 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 pm

I like the cover on the disc face of The Incredible Shrinking Man a lot. Should have made that the main artwork. Fantastic work on High Sierra.

therewillbeblus

#2579 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:25 pm

Same goes for Onibaba's booklet art, even if the original cover was good enough to require no change to begin with

dwk

#2580 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:42 pm

Buried in the picture in this tweet is a glimpse at the Mulholland Dr packaging/ the UHD sticker

captveg

#2581 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:12 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:42 pm
Buried in the picture in this tweet is a glimpse at the Mulholland Dr packaging/ the UHD sticker
Thicc-digi, it seems

ryannichols7

#2582 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:23 pm

it's gonna be great when everyone who complained about the higher number of digis during the dual format era become perfectly okay with an increased number during the 4K era

(yes, I know Mulholland basically already has this same packaging)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2583 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:29 pm

It would be great if they were perfectly okay with something so inconsequential

Matt

Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#2584 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:47 pm

But weren’t there so many digipaks because Scanavo had not yet developed their 3-disc case? I would expect to see much more of those with folded poster-style inserts in the future than fat digis with big booklets. Paper and printing costs have gone up drastically in the last couple of years.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2585 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 pm

Agreed. All of their Lynch releases have been digipaks so that's all this is

Ribs

#2586 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:09 am

But also given we know Citizen Kane and Menace II Society are also Digipaks (and it’s possible Uncut Gems would get one anyway a la Parasite’s or the Netflix titles) I don’t really think we have a real release that seems likely to be in a normal hard case until Red Shoes next month.

ryannichols7

#2587 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:07 am

and AHDN was already a digi as well for it's dual format release. I agree the red shoes is likely the first non-digi

CC pairing down booklets while MOC, second run, and BFI keep them a mainstay is a disappointment. at least we get the foldouts, yes, but I know we all say it so many times and it only gets more true....I miss more frequent booklets with more than one essay. it's insane citizen kane will only be getting one essay

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2588 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:33 am

True, A Hard Day's Night came out in a digipak the same month the 3-disc Scanavo case was debuted for All That Heaven Allows, L'eclisse, Hearts and Minds, and Judex. And all the other November releases will presumably have digipaks for special design reasons. But after that...I...actually don't know anything

dwk

#2589 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:49 am

Citizen Kane packaging shot from Criterion's site.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2590 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:07 am

ryannichols7

#2591 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 am

is...this gonna be World of Wong Kar-Wai again with this folding bullshit again?

Walter Kurtz

#2592 Post by Walter Kurtz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:45 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 am
is...this gonna be World of Wong Kar-Wai again with this folding bullshit again?
Aw give them a break. Even the best of us repeat things from time to time.

fdm

#2593 Post by fdm » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:33 am

Looks like I was right after all, cardboard and slots. Pass.

Glowingwabbit

#2594 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:06 am

I wonder what the blu-ray only packaging looks like because i'm about to cancel the UHD and get the blu-ray instead.

FrauBlucher

#2595 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:14 am

I can’t imagine it being different. Hopefully Chris will have the shots up before the release.

Glowingwabbit

#2596 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:21 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:14 am
I can’t imagine it being different. Hopefully Chris will have the shots up before the release.
It's likely still a digipack but since it's one less disc maybe (hopefully) it doesn't use slots for all the discs.

CSM126

#2597 Post by CSM126 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:29 am

I’m not bothered by slots (Varda/Fellini sets, etc) and in this instance it’s not some bizarre French fold puzzle like Wong. It looks like a gift box, and with the snow globe in the center it really looks nice. If anything it’s actually preferable to an overly long foldout with four platters side-by-side and it also avoids the figure eight stack trays that always give me a fight for the bottom disc anymore (maybe that’s just my hands betraying me, I don’t know). Anyway, I like what I see there.

Glowingwabbit

#2598 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:33 am

CSM126 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:29 am
I’m not bothered by slots (Varda/Fellini sets, etc) and in this instance it’s not some bizarre French fold puzzle like Wong. It looks like a gift box, and with the snow globe in the center it really looks nice. If anything it’s actually preferable to an overly long foldout with four platters side-by-side and it also avoids the figure eight stack trays that always give me a fight for the bottom disc anymore (maybe that’s just my hands betraying me, I don’t know). Anyway, I like what I see there.
My concern is that UHD discs have proven to be a lot more fragile. I think I'm still.going to get it and just house the UHD copy in a separate case like I did with the Hitchcock collection.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2599 Post by cdnchris » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:35 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:14 am
I more than likely won't be getting the Blu-ray, but if I had to guess, like you, I'd say they more than likely want to keep things as similar as possible; I would assume there'd be an extra flap that just folds out but doesn't hold anything. But then you know what they say about the word "ass-u-me." I will have the UHD up, though.

Also, chances are very good I won't be able to post any pictures early this month. At best it will be something like the day before.

yoloswegmaster

#2600 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:10 pm

That's ok Chris, it gives you more time to review Ugetsu.

Also, shouldn't the guessing thread be open by now?