Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Computer Raheem

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#2501 Post by Computer Raheem » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:19 pm

The Menace II Society slipcase and Once Upon A Time In China boxset are the highlights for the month for me.

I'm still processing my thoughts on the Citizen Kane cover. I understand why they went in this direction, but I cannot say that I truly enjoy it. Hopefully it's more impressive in person (as usually tends to be the case).

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#2502 Post by Lemdog » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Maybe I'm just cynical but I'm just waiting for some jerk to start putting three Citizen Kane boxes next to each other all over Barnes and Noble.

andyli

#2503 Post by andyli » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:42 pm

Lemdog wrote:Maybe I'm just cynical but I'm just waiting for some jerk to start putting three Citizen Kane boxes next to each other all over Barnes and Noble.
Strangely the first thought that came to me with that cover is also the Ku Klux Klan, and I'm not even American.

therewillbeblus

#2504 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:42 am

I'm American and the "connection" never occurred to me until I read these last two comments

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#2505 Post by Brian C » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:27 am

Seems perfectly normal to immediately think of the Klan anytime one sees a K.

flyonthewall2983

#2506 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 am

Lemdog wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:57 pm
Maybe I'm just cynical but I'm just waiting for some jerk to start putting three Citizen Kane boxes next to each other all over Barnes and Noble.

bugsy_pal

#2507 Post by bugsy_pal » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:27 am

I think the Kane cover is brilliant - simple, bold, and ties in with the visual style of the movie. Can't wait to see the full package.

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#2508 Post by Lemdog » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:39 am

Brian C wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:27 am
Seems perfectly normal to immediately think of the Klan anytime one sees a K.
My first immediate thought was, "Well I know what the King Kong cover will look like if they release it." The double K then turned into my lack of faith in humanity.

Walter Kurtz

#2509 Post by Walter Kurtz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:21 am

Let me tell you about Charlie----

The retro font on the right side of the Kane box/slip/whatever is a nice throwback to the old Criterion font because, um... flashbacks?

FrauBlucher

#2511 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:47 am

I didn’t think it would create the PR it has

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2512 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:51 am

This top comment under Criterion’s original tweet of the cover is perfect
How long did it take you

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2513 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:04 am

Artist Mike McQuade told The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday he was not surprised his work elicited such strong emotion.

“I put a K on the cover,” McQuade said of the 1941 Orson Welles epic considered by most film historians to be the greatest film ever made (although Welles did not think that was the case).

Kane being his first cover design for Criterion, McQuade was thrilled when he was approached by an art director at the distribution company requesting his expertise for the project.

“I’ve worked on key art for some television pilots and indie films,” McQuade told THR. “I’ve been a practicing graphic designer and illustrator with a focus on editorial illustration, branding, and collage for more than 15 years. I’ve done work for The New York Times, New Yorker, Nike, Penguin Books and Rolling Stone, to name a few. And I put a K on the cover.”

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#2514 Post by Brian C » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:13 am

I don’t know what the big fuss is all about, to be honest. It’s not like it would have made sense to put an ‘L’ on the cover. He obviously picked the right letter, or what am I missing?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2515 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:53 am

As someone already wrote above, it looks like a cover that took 2 min to do for one of the most reverred movie of all time and one filled with (and praised for) technically wonderful shots. One would thus argue maybe there's something a tad less simplistic that could have been achieved.
I don't mind it myself, but I understand people looking at it and thinking it can't be the real artwork.
Last edited by tenia on Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#2516 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:31 pm

People are just ignoring that the designer does more than just the cover. They also do designs for the discs, the booklet, the case inside.

It would have been helpful if, like the Menace II Society and Once Upon a Time in China, Criterion included some sample of what the whole package will be like on the page.

DimitriL

#2517 Post by DimitriL » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:53 am
As someone already wrote above, it looks like a cover that took 2 min to do for one of the most reverred mo ie of all time and one filled with (and praised for) technically wonderful shots. One would thus argue maybe there's something a tad less simplistic that could have been achieved.
I don't mind it myself, but I understand people looking at it and thinking it can't be the real artwork.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I can see Orson Welles getting the same crap for perhaps the most minimalistic title sequence in film history up to that point. No grand fanfare, no stylistic/thematic flourishes, no setting up the story, no cast or crew…text on black. That’s it. It’s funny that people forget this, when it’s really as iconic a choice as any of the various technical and story achievements in the film itself.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2518 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:51 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:31 pm
It would have been helpful if, like the Menace II Society and Once Upon a Time in China, Criterion included some sample of what the whole package will be like on the page.
Especially since "special packaging" is in their Extra Features spec sheet !
DimitriL wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm
It’s funny that people forget this, when it’s really as iconic a choice as any of the various technical and story achievements in the film itself.
As I wrote, I don't mind it myself as I do find this cover to offer something of an iconic stance on the movie and its aura : it doesn't need more, somehow. We see this, we know which movie it is. But I can also understand how something different, and maybe more nicely "artful" to look at could have been done. I remember for instance of what was done for The Magnificent Ambersons.

RIP Film

#2519 Post by RIP Film » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:38 pm

I can see both sides. Initially I hated it, but there is the question of what would you replace it with. An artfully done still? The dilemma is no shot can really encapsulate the film, perhaps in its themes but certainly not its legacy-- so there's a certain virtue to not even trying. The film inhabits a singular place in film history and the cover is equally singular.

On the downside I don't think the K is as universally recognized as they think it is, but maybe it will be after this. The cover would be easier to appraise if Criterion didn't already have so many spectacular misfires in their catalog, but I'm willing to let this one pass.

FrauBlucher

#2520 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:53 pm

I have a hunch that the overall packaging will change my initial reaction. As dwk mentioned if CC release packaging images it could’ve made a little bit of a difference. Knowing Criterion they will probably show us the packaging in some form sooner rather than later

Pavel

#2521 Post by Pavel » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:57 pm

I have to give Criterion credit though, they managed to generate a lot more conversation with this (trending on Twitter, Hollywood Reporter article) than they would've with any other, "good" cover

Walter Kurtz

#2522 Post by Walter Kurtz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Citizen Kane is the most dissected film of all time. So the designer went to the theater and climbed a ladder when the titles came on... dissected a 'K'... and slapped it on a box.

The probably die-cut 'K'?
It's Terrific!

_shadow_

#2523 Post by _shadow_ » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:02 am

Will the "special packaging" include the rest of the letters?

therewillbeblus

#2524 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:35 am

_shadow_ wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:02 am
Will the "special packaging" include the rest of the letters?
This made me laugh way too hard- thank you

mteller

#2525 Post by mteller » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Never before has this forum so desperately needed the services of swimminghorses