Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3876 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:55 am

The soundtrack to Looking for Mr Goodbar is an amazing disco era soundtrack. Blows away the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack IMHO. But isn't that the problem with this getting a bluray release, the music rights are a mess. It hasn't even gotten a DVD release.... But we can only hope [-o<

... and Dianne Keaton is great in it.

MichaelB

#3877 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:23 am

I am indeed under the impression that music rights are the problem - and clearance would be far beyond the budget of a single independent label, even if Paramount was minded to license it to them.

KJones77

#3878 Post by KJones77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:00 pm

I don't think Looking for Mr. Goodbar is even streaming or for digital rental anywhere, so that cost may be even above what Paramount is willing to consider.

criterionoop

#3879 Post by criterionoop » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:16 pm

I've wondered if some boutique labels would consider kickstarter campaigns for music rights. I don't know if it would be out of the realm of possibility, or even if it would be successful, but I would be down to put some money to get a release. Blu-ray releases of John Waters' MONDO TRASHO and of Brooks' LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR would be amazing, but obviously those music rights come with a hefty price tag.

On the other hand, I know that Wim Wenders' THE GOALKEEPER'S FEAR OF THE PENALTY/THE GOALIE'S ANXIETY AT THE PENALTY KICK had issues with the use of an Elvis song, so he used the song sung by a different person (just had to pay the writers, not the artist). Not the most ideal of scenarios, but also an option.

MichaelB

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3880 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:00 pm

One of the more elegant solutions to this dilemma was carried out by the BFI for Ken Russell's Song of Summer, which originally opened with Eric Fenby accompanying an unclearably expensive Laurel & Hardy film. So what the BFI did was replace the footage with a scene from a similar Walter Forde comedy that they owned outright, which had the happy side-effect of making that section of Russell's film more historically authentic, as the L&H clip was from a film released many years after the scene in question was supposed to have taken place.

It's certainly a better solution than just cutting the prologue entirely, which other video releases and broadcasts opted for.
Last edited by MichaelB on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3881 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 pm

I think replacing footage is a step too far, though. I’d be for a big red block covering most of the screen like in the R-rated version of Storytelling

whaleallright

#3882 Post by whaleallright » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:35 pm

This discussion makes me realize that there's more than one reason Flaming Creatures will probably never be licensed for home video...

Blutarsky

#3883 Post by Blutarsky » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Aren’t the Warhol and Paul Morrissey films in a similar situation where due to the soundtracks/background music they lack a physical release? I know when I saw Vinyl in Pittsburgh, the curators said that it is unlikely it will see release due to, on top of other reasons, the use of The Rolling Stones and The Kinks. I hope we have a Criterion release of Morrissey/Warhol films in a boxset with the full length version of Empire!

FrauBlucher

#3884 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:34 pm

I have the Looking for Mr Goodbar CD, which I don't think is available any longer. It was put out by Pendulum Entertainment Group whoever that is, with Sony being the distributor copyrighted 1997

criterionoop

#3885 Post by criterionoop » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Would it be a better idea for Shout Factory to release something like LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR since they have a better relationship with the music industry and could potentially broker a better music licensing deal?

It would be great if Criterion could slap a spine number on the film, but really at this point, I would buy a blu-ray regardless of who distributed it.

Rupert Pupkin

#3886 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:00 pm
I don't think Looking for Mr. Goodbar is even streaming or for digital rental anywhere, so that cost may be even above what Paramount is willing to consider.
I have just found recently a web tv channel digital in the proper ratio but SD not 1080.
I was wondering if there was an hint at one time in one of Criterion's drawings about releasing Mr.Goodbar ?

criterionoop

#3887 Post by criterionoop » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:26 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm
I was wondering if there was an hint at one time in one of Criterion's drawings about releasing Mr.Goodbar ?
It was actually a drawing for LIFE IS SWEET.

bluesforyou

#3888 Post by bluesforyou » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:14 am

Since MGM seems to be licensing out pretty much everything (Mad Max/Kino), Criterion should really pick up RAGING BULL and do a UHD. Big director, big actor, highly acclaimed undisputed classic with mass appeal that is in B&W which it will make it stand out amongst the boutique UHDs.

If not Criterion, then hopefully someone else. But really it is perfect for Criterion.

MichaelB

#3889 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:18 am

domino harvey wrote:I think replacing footage is a step too far, though. I’d be for a big red block covering most of the screen like in the R-rated version of Storytelling
In the specific instance that I cited, it was clearly the sensible thing to do, because all that was needed to make the dramatic point was footage of a silent comedy - the presence of Laurel & Hardy specifically was completely unimportant. Your suggestion would have been far more distracting, as it would take the viewer out of the film at precisely the point when they’re supposed to start getting engaged with it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3890 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 pm

I mean, it wasn’t a serious suggestion, but BFI replaced original footage with different footage. Just because it is seamless doesn’t make it much different than

MichaelB

#3891 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Literally all that's required for the scene to make its narrative point is for a silent comedy clip to be visible: it makes not one iota of difference which specific comedy clip as the dramatic focus is on the music rather than the images. I daresay Russell picked Laurel & Hardy in the first place because the footage was conveniently to hand in the BBC vaults.

movielocke

#3892 Post by movielocke » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 pm

so that's 21 upgrades in 2020, 33 upgrades if you count the 4xVarda as being upgraded and count the seven Fellini titles as being upgraded. Not a bad year either way, 21 is the fifth most upgrades in a year and 33 is the second most upgrades in a year. and in spite of thinking a year ago that 2020 would have a lot of studio canal upgrades, we got none, (since both are just reissues of already upgraded titles).

Minkin

#3893 Post by Minkin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Sorry for the delay folks, but the Speculation Rodeo is back once more! (Dec 2020 edition)

Amores Perros - Confirmed via Cinematographer

Crash - No confirmation, a surprise! Former Criterion Laserdisc title

Mouchette - Random upgrade, not speculated - other than some musings based on its recent restoration

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm - Random upgrade, not speculated!
------------------------
-102 Criterion Laserdisc titles left to be upgraded

-216 DVD upgrades remain

-I might do some year in review facts in a follow-up post in the awards thread, to be determined.
==============================

Alright, time for what everybody's been waiting for, who's going to go home with that Golden Lariat! It was a tough battle this time with four competitors with one winning ride each. But of course there can only be one victor. And this month's Golden Lariat goes to:

cowboydan

For being the only person to correctly guess Crash (and surprise guesses are worth more). As always you can pick up your prize at the concession stand.

There are few things you can count on each month, but even with short delays, there'll always be a Speculation Rodeo! Until next time, remember the best things in life are free.

Noiradelic

#3894 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 am

movielocke wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 pm
33 upgrades if you count the 4xVarda as being upgraded and count the seven Fellini titles as being upgraded. ...in spite of thinking a year ago that 2020 would have a lot of studio canal upgrades, we got none, (since both are just reissues of already upgraded titles).
You mentioned the Fellini box titles separately, but Nights of Cabiria is a genuine StudioCanal upgrade.

Esterhazy

#3895 Post by Esterhazy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:39 am

Already composing a mental wishlist for 2021 Criterion releases, I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about De Sica‘s „Il boom“ possibly joining the collection? Studio Canal recently rereleased it in 4k.
I also stumbled across these two 4k rereleases which I would love to see in the collection: Peter Bacso‘s „The Witness“ and Alain Corneau‘s „Serie Noire“ (Studio Canal, I believe).

Any thoughts or comments would be great.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3896 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:24 am

Serie noire is already out via Film Movement

FrauBlucher

#3897 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Esterhazy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:39 am
I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about De Sica‘s „Il boom“ possibly joining the collection? Studio Canal recently rereleased it in 4k.
You mean a 4k restoration or a 4k UHD? I saw this a few years back at the Film Forum. It's terrific. It was the 4k restoration. Its US rights are with Rialto. I don't remember seeing a Studio Canal logo before hand. I also would love to see this. I had asked a FF* programmer if this and other Riatlo films were coming to Criterion. He said he didn't think so, and then Panique got a release. So who knows.

*For those that don't know Bruce Goldstein who runs the FF is also the head of Rialto Pictures

criterionoop

#3898 Post by criterionoop » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:01 pm

CHRIST STOPPED AT EBOLI is also a Rialto film.

dwk

#3899 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am

News from reddit, about 13 minutes into the Spinal Tap episode of the Cox & Kjølseth podcast, Alex Cox mentions he is doing something for Criterion's upcoming Parallax View release

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3900 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Esterhazy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:39 am
I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about De Sica‘s „Il boom“ possibly joining the collection? Studio Canal recently rereleased it in 4k.
You mean a 4k restoration or a 4k UHD?
There's not even a BD release of the movie anywhere, so you can forget about a UHD. It's a shame because the restoration is already 4 years old, it'd be nice to get a BD release of it so that people who didn't have the chance to see it in theater can enjoy it too.