Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2226 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:57 pm

So much for the Vampyr excitement.

jedgeco

#2227 Post by jedgeco » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:58 pm

danieltiger wrote:Wait, so there's a standalone release of A Master Builder, and a new Blu-Ray Upgrade for My Dinner with Andre, and a box set with both of those and Vanya?
Looks like it's just a "Collector's Set," like when they've boxed "Wrong Men & Notorious Women," or the Lean/Dickens films.

RSTooley

#2228 Post by RSTooley » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Interesting slate. I'm happy to see more Jonathan Demme and Terry Gilliam in the collection.

Yaanu

#2229 Post by Yaanu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:00 pm

jedgeco wrote:
danieltiger wrote:Wait, so there's a standalone release of A Master Builder, and a new Blu-Ray Upgrade for My Dinner with Andre, and a box set with both of those and Vanya?
Looks like it's just a "Collector's Set," like when they've boxed "Wrong Men & Notorious Women," or the Lean/Dickens films.
Pretty much this. It doesn't have a spine number either, so it's entirely safe to skip the box.
You can probably order the box itself if you email Mulvaney, too.

Cremildo

#2230 Post by Cremildo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:And now they're splitting up the BBS box. Great, that's a good use of time and resources Criterion :eyerollforever:
And most welcome, since it's a classic that deserves a release of its own, independent of the other titles from that expensive box which I would never have bought.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2231 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Now the sticker on the cover makes sense
Cremildo-approved Edition

Ribs

#2232 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:05 pm

What, no upgrade for Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer?!?

jedgeco

#2233 Post by jedgeco » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Cremildo wrote: And most welcome, since it's a classic that deserves a release of its own, independent of the other titles from that expensive box which I would never have bought.
Not disagreeing with you're premise, but the BBS box can be had during the B&N sales for about $45.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2234 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Ribs wrote:What, no upgrade for Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer?!?
A+

ordinaryperson

#2235 Post by ordinaryperson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:07 pm

This seems to be a very WTF Criterion month.

criterion10

#2236 Post by criterion10 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:08 pm

ordinaryperson wrote:This seems to be a very WTF Criterion month.
*Printed, laminated, framed*

Ribs

#2237 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Will the Shawn/Gregory box set's essays be with a proper book like most other box sets, or will it just be three amarays in a case (and matching booklet for Vanya, and leaflets for the other two)

Minkin

#2238 Post by Minkin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Sorry everyone about the misleading Vampyr speculation. Blame Criterion, not me! They've since updated it to:
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, a piece by Koerber on the restoration, and a 1964 interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg; plus a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul’s original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1872 story “Carmilla,” a source for the film (first-edition DVD only)
A strange month indeed from Criterion. I had been putting off Vanya for whatever reason forever, and I absolutely love My Dinner with Andre, so the boxset makes sense from my perspective!

The BBS boxset does make sense for a marketing decision -as I'm sure there's a much bigger market for Head / Easy Rider / 5 Easy Pieces individually than put together in an expensive boxset. I have heard complaints from some Monkees fans who didn't want to bother with also buying those "other films" and would just wait for a standalone release. Am glad to hear though that Criterion isn't adding anything to the release, so we can just move along and avoid it - while Criterion adds to their war chest.

Big news is Valerie. Wasn't this was originally slated as part of a Czech Eclipse set (that one random guy in the Czech film thread who knew the content of the 1st set and the subsequent sets)? Also excited for a Pre-60s German film!

dwk

#2239 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:27 pm

I wonder if Sony's license for Head is coming to an end (it is the only film in the BBS set that is not owned by Sony), causing that box to go OOP sometime this year. That could be why Criterion is starting to break up that box (and why the BBS doc from the Head disc has been shifted to Five Easy Pieces.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2240 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:40 pm

dwk wrote:I wonder if Sony's license for Head is coming to an end (it is the only film in the BBS set that is not owned by Sony), causing that box to go OOP sometime this year. That could be why Criterion is starting to break up that box (and why the BBS doc from the Head disc has been shifted to Five Easy Pieces.)
That seems like a really solid guess.

Perkins Cobb

#2241 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Hm. Well, The Bridge and the Jires shorts are good news ... which makes it a better-than-average Criterion month in my world, I guess.

Finch

#2242 Post by Finch » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Nothing in it for me this June except Valerie and her Week of Wonders. Anyone else feeling that Criterion's 2015 line-up to date lacks the Wow factor that Arrow's has?

FrauBlucher

#2243 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:34 pm

I expect the wow to happen before 2015 is all said and done.

movielocke

#2244 Post by movielocke » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Finch wrote:Nothing in it for me this June except Valerie and her Week of Wonders. Anyone else feeling that Criterion's 2015 line-up to date lacks the Wow factor that Arrow's has?
I don't follow arrow (and I know they do good work and have branched out of horror and into the us) so I looked up the list of releases on wiki and their website and only see a half dozenish releases for 2015, most of them interesting, but I already own in other versions. on the other hand, i've got 11 must buys so far from criterion, only one of which I own in another version, plus another dozen I want to buy but probably wont. So criterion seems to have the better slate to me.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2245 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Arrow has a Yoshishige Yoshida box in the works among other boxsets, one of which is supposed to make the night Lincoln got shot look like a peanut.

Lowry_Sam

#2246 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:I expect the wow to happen before 2015 is all said and done.
I'm expecting better in the second half of the year, but after the 2014 Wow factor, I've anticipated that Criterion's 2015 lineup just won't measure up & I'm not all that bummed. Now I can get rid of my BBS box set, since the only title I've revisited is Head as sort of background eye candy for a party (edit: Actually it looks like only Five Easy Pieces is getting a standalone release, so I still can't get rid of it just yet) ....and now I'm picking up The Lady From Shanghai and The Wild One blu-rays for 8.99 instead of 39.99 each (and in slimmer keepcases), not to mention a Dreyer and a Rossellini box set for under $100 shipped, as opposed to over $100 each.... and as long as MoC keep up the classic Hollywood titles & Arrow the cult titles, I'll be a happy camper.

ianungstad

#2247 Post by ianungstad » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm

A pretty decent month. I'm looking forward to discovering The Bridge and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders.

I've seen The Fisher King many times and will pick it up eventually. It seems like a decent package and I really like the cover.

Calvin

#2248 Post by Calvin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:04 pm

It's fantastic to see a Blu-Ray release for Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. I wonder if Criterion regrets putting Daisies in Eclipse yet? I also wonder what this means for the supposed line ups for the second and third Czech New Wave volumes. Will Criterion scrap them and release them as restorations arise (or carry out the work themselves)? All My Good Countrymen, another film that was supposed to be on the third set with Valerie, already has a 4K restoration out on Blu in the Czech Republic.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2249 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Finch wrote:Anyone else feeling that Criterion's 2015 line-up to date lacks the Wow factor?
Clearly not the people writing the blurbs for each release!

Moe Dickstein

#2250 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:57 am

Surprising to me that Five Easy Pieces would get the standalone issue over Easy Rider, or especially The Last Picture Show.

Glad to see The Fisher King announced, it's good to see more of the LD catalog being brought into the Blu fold.