Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1301 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Is GetHarryPalmer an insider or is he someone who created a guess list like myself and movielocke did upthread?

knives

#1302 Post by knives » Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

He's an insider. He posts here as well. A real character.

FrauBlucher

#1303 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 21, 2020 2:49 pm

That's good. As close to a confirmation as there is

movielocke

#1304 Post by movielocke » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Pierrot Le Fou announced,

That makes two stand alone releases of formerly OOP SC titles, both are functionally the same edition (with new transfer for Godard), both were bluray when they went OOP, both were produced by Abbey Lustgarten (all her other OOP SC titles are with Kino).

the only other criterion that was bluray when it went OOP (that criterion is rumored to retain), is Le Cercle Rouge (produced by Susan Arosteguy)

summation post

Has there been any updates to the rumored or no-info sections of the above post since January? I'll update it if there has been.
Last edited by movielocke on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1305 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:42 pm

I don’t think the Melville was a new transfer

movielocke

#1306 Post by movielocke » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks I wasn't sure if it was. I updated my list with the downthread Get harry palmer info I missed earlier in the year

captveg

#1307 Post by captveg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 am

movielocke wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:41 pm

summation post

Has there been any updates to the rumored or no-info sections of the above post since January? I'll update it if there has been.
You have The Fallen Idol listed under Kino, but it should be under the rumored to be back with Criterion section.

movielocke

#1308 Post by movielocke » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:46 pm

summation post updated

Regarding this, I thought Kino announced Fallen Idol with their first big batch of licenses? am I mis-remembering?
captveg wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 am
movielocke wrote:

summation post

You have The Fallen Idol listed under Kino, but it should be under the rumored to be back with Criterion section.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1309 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:48 pm

No, they said it was with Criterion

captveg

#1310 Post by captveg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Also, I know the individual spines haven't been re-issued, but all the rumored Fellini titles can probably be moved to the Criterion re-issue section.

49 Nights of Cabiria
81 Variety Lights
189 The White Sheik

Blutarsky

#1311 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Genuine question but isn’t This is Spinal Tap with StudioCanal? I know it is also an MGM title but also being a former Embassy title, does it prevent from being reintroduced to the collection.

Although I know Spinal Tap themselves settled a lawsuit with StudioCanal in regard to royalties, so who knows if this may be the case. Regardless, I’d love for it to be back in print.

jwd5275

#1312 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 pm

movielocke wrote:

summation post

Mafioso is on the Criterion Channel with a Janus logo and the page on the website was updated with 12 HD images within the year (the two other StudioCanal titles that had HD images recently added were Le Corbeau and the just released That Obscure Object of Desire). This seems to suggest it should be moved from the no-info section to Criterion Rumored to have...

movielocke

#1313 Post by movielocke » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 am

I’d considered that because of the Janus logo , but was going to wait a few months to see if it was gonna expire.

FrauBlucher

#1314 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:26 pm

With Kino signing a new smaller deal with SC has CC also signed a new deal as well.

KL Insider listed titles by decades...
SC deal by decade breakdown
1920s x 2
1950s x 3
1960s x 8
1970s x 14
1980s x 5
1990s x 2
2000s x 2
He also said..
Looks like 22 are new to DVD and 14 have been previously released in the U.S.

One of the titles was previously released on Blu-ray.
Assuming that title is a Lionsgate... Captveg listed them
Let's see...
In the US Lionsgate released the following:
2010 releases:
Contempt
Delicatessen
The Ladykillers
Ran
The Third Man
2012 releases:
Grand Illusion
That Obscure Object of Desire
2017 releases:
The Man Who Fell to Earth

-The recency of The Man Who Fell to Earth would seem to rule that out.
-Criterion is releasing That Obscure Object of Desire in January.
-So that leaves six possibilities. I'm hoping it's The Ladykillers since the SC release is open matte and this film should be presented in matted widescreen.
A bluray.com poster deduced this...
I think this may be able to be narrowed down further from six. Since there aren't any 30s and 40s films in the deal, Grand Illusion and The Third Man can likely be ruled out. That would just leave The Ladykillers, Contempt, Ran, and Delicatessen, although from what I can see from online retailers, it looks like only Ran is still in print from Lionsgate. All 4 have stock on Amazon, although it may be just residual stock left, as it appears the Lionsgate releases of The Ladykillers, Contempt, and Delicatessen have been removed from all other online retailers and may be seemingly OOP from them. On one last note, The Man Who Fell To Earth interestingly enough seems to be OOP from Lionsgate as well despite its recent release, as it appears to only be available via third party sellers on Amazon and has been removed from all other stores online, but I'm not sure this is a sign Lionsgate lost the rights or not.
It's certainly fair to say that some of these Lionsgate SC that are OOP can end up with Criterion. Contempt for one would be an odds on favorite.
Will Lionsgate be losing all their SC titles.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blutarsky

#1315 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:03 pm

It has been five, going on six, years since The Third Man had its 4K restoration premiered. In the states, the only way to see it is by importing the region-free StudioCanal disc. Also, when Lionsgate released The Man Who Fell To Earth, didn’t they use a different transfer than the one StudioCanal prepared? I do genuinely hope we can see a solid re-release of these two films on Criterion, as both are probably the most expensive to find through scalpers. If anything, I just hope Criterion can restore Contempt because that DCP has its soundtrack fluctuating between an English dub, and its original mono soundtrack but in a different key. That film needs some TLC stat!

dwk

#1316 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Lionsgate's The Man Who Fell to Earrh disc, like nearly all of the StudioCanal titles they bothered to release, was a straight port of the StudioCanal release.

yoloswegmaster

#1317 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:09 pm

KL Insider just revealed that they don't have any Brigitte Bardot films in their deal with SC, so we can cross Contempt off that list

Blutarsky

#1318 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:42 pm

I’ve always assumed Contempt would be returning. Both it and A Woman is a Woman have multiple HD screen caps on the website.

captveg

#1319 Post by captveg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:53 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:09 pm
KL Insider just revealed that they don't have any Brigitte Bardot films in their deal with SC, so we can cross Contempt off that list
They also stated that The Ladykillers is "still with Lionsgate". So that would leave The Man Who Fell to Earth, Ran and Delicatessen as the possibilities. Delicatessen seems the most likely as its the one Criterion would have been least likely to pick up themselves if made available.

DeprongMori

#1320 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Any news on Bertrand Tavernier’s Coup de Torchon? After getting pulled from Criterion during the Big StudioCanal Grab of ages ago, I don’t believe it has appeared anywhere in any form. Hoping this gets a return to the fold at some point soon, hopefully with a restoration.

It streams in January on the Channel as part of a Tavernier retrospective.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1321 Post by cdnchris » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:24 pm

I was going through the Buñuel set and realized that it might have made sense if they had bundled all of the Serge Silberman produced ones together in the set but I forgot Kino had Milky Way. Do we know who more than likely has Diary of a Chambermaid?

Blutarsky

#1322 Post by Blutarsky » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:24 pm
I was going through the Buñuel set and realized that it might have made sense if they had bundled all of the Serge Silberman produced ones together in the set but I forgot Kino had Milky Way. Do we know who more than likely has Diary of a Chambermaid?
A year or so ago Diary of a Chambermaid was on the channel with both Criterion and StudioCanal logos. The film also sported subtitles that are found on their physical releases.

yoloswegmaster

#1323 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:28 pm
Any news on Bertrand Tavernier’s Coup de Torchon? After getting pulled from Criterion during the Big StudioCanal Grab of ages ago, I don’t believe it has appeared anywhere in any form. Hoping this gets a return to the fold at some point soon, hopefully with a restoration.

It streams in January on the Channel as part of a Tavernier retrospective.
It opens with the CC and Janus logos, so there is a good chance at a re-release.

movielocke

#1324 Post by movielocke » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:39 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:26 pm

A bluray.com poster deduced this...
I think this may be able to be narrowed down further from six. Since there aren't any 30s and 40s films in the deal, Grand Illusion and The Third Man can likely be ruled out. That would just leave The Ladykillers, Contempt, Ran, and Delicatessen, although from what I can see from online retailers, it looks like only Ran is still in print from Lionsgate. All 4 have stock on Amazon, although it may be just residual stock left, as it appears the Lionsgate releases of The Ladykillers, Contempt, and Delicatessen have been removed from all other online retailers and may be seemingly OOP from them. On one last note, The Man Who Fell To Earth interestingly enough seems to be OOP from Lionsgate as well despite its recent release, as it appears to only be available via third party sellers on Amazon and has been removed from all other stores online, but I'm not sure this is a sign Lionsgate lost the rights or not.
It's certainly fair to say that some of these Lionsgate SC that are OOP can end up with Criterion. Contempt for one would be an odds on favorite.
Will Lionsgate be losing all their SC titles.
If I am interpreting all this right, Grand Illusion, Man Who Fell to Earth and Contempt are all now rumored to be licensed to criterion, based on Lionsgate blu-rays being out of print.

Ran appears to be in print and presumably not included in this rumor.

Third Man's status seems to be unchanged by this innformation.

summation post updated

Blutarsky

#1325 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm

I’d be curious to see if The Man Who Fell to Earth will add Tevis’s novel. To my knowledge, the book is hard to find. I was lucky to find a copy in a second hand bookstore in San Diego before I got my hands on Criterion’s DVD. Regardless if Criterion rereleases it this year I would be happy.