Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Out Of Print: StudioCanal Snatches It All Away

#876 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Wow, ¥1,332,585 comes to $2.59 - not a bad deal!
re-check your math.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#877 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
re-check your math.
I was just making a stupid currency joke, I didn't actually do the conversion

HistoryProf

#878 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:44 pm

:?

it's $13,325.85

That's quite a steal.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#879 Post by Drucker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm

My copy of Leon Morin priest, ordered this past Saturday on Amazon just shipped. It still seems to be in-stock.

Mouse

#880 Post by Mouse » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 am

I just noticed that the 10 years of Rialto set has finally gone completely out of print. It survived the first couple of rounds of the Studiocanal massacre, but I guess this last wave was it. It had been "In print" at the start of this year if I remember correctly.

jbeall

#881 Post by jbeall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Got shipping notice from Amazon on my copy of Leon Morin. I've also ordered Marienbad, so that one's still in limbo.

EDIT: Received Leon Morin[i/] on Wed., 4/24. Amazon shows Marienbad with a 4/26 shipping date. <fingers crossed>
Last edited by jbeall on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lingo

#882 Post by lingo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 pm

I finally got my Marienbad from Amazon. I'd probably cope with the dinged corners except also the shrink-wrap is defective, leaving one corner of the package open to the world, which is now worn and dirty as they've clearly been passing by this copy for some time. I don't dare do a return as I don't think I'll get one back at this stage.

I haven't freed it from the shrink wrap, but it looks like the disc and booklet should be fine. The replacement plastic case from Criterion would be okay for any other title, but the embossed cover makes me want to keep it as a digipak. I guess I should write Mulvaney and see if they'll part with the old case...

Not telling my friends about this as I know they would just look and say it's nothing. Well, maybe the guy who collects comic books in those plastic sleeves wouldn't, but that's it.

Donald Brown

#883 Post by Donald Brown » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Amazon has resumed taking orders for Army of Shadows on Blu-ray, with an expected ship date of April 29, and an Amazon Marketplace seller has new copies in stock at nearly 50% off list price.

rrenault

#884 Post by rrenault » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am

lingo wrote:I finally got my Marienbad from Amazon. I'd probably cope with the dinged corners except also the shrink-wrap is defective, leaving one corner of the package open to the world, which is now worn and dirty as they've clearly been passing by this copy for some time. I don't dare do a return as I don't think I'll get one back at this stage.

I haven't freed it from the shrink wrap, but it looks like the disc and booklet should be fine. The replacement plastic case from Criterion would be okay for any other title, but the embossed cover makes me want to keep it as a digipak. I guess I should write Mulvaney and see if they'll part with the old case...

Not telling my friends about this as I know they would just look and say it's nothing. Well, maybe the guy who collects comic books in those plastic sleeves wouldn't, but that's it.

I'd say dinged corners are pretty much unavoidable for any digipak Criterion release if you're ordering it online.

vsski

#885 Post by vsski » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 am

rrenault wrote:I'd say dinged corners are pretty much unavoidable for any digipak Criterion release if you're ordering it online.
Sad but true, although it didn't used to be that way. That's why I'm always dreading when another digipack is announced and wait until the next B&N sales, so I can personally inspect the packaging (and hopefully find one among 10 that is not dinged). ](*,)

Emak-Bakia

#886 Post by Emak-Bakia » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I guess my copy of Marienbad must be the exception. I'm not trying to brag, but I ordered it from Amazon along with Le Cercle Rouge right when the OOP announcement was made, and the digipak arrived practically mint, with no damage at all to any of the corners. There is still hope for those seeking pointy digipak corners!

Now my von Sternberg box set, that's an entirely different story ... .

TMDaines

#887 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 pm

B&N managed to get about 60% of all digipaks to me in mint/near mint condition. It's all the other US retailers that use the shitty bubble envelopes where there's a problem.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#888 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:35 pm

You have pretty much the opposite experience with BN/Amazon than we do in the States.

Flike

#889 Post by Flike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Has anyone that's ordered Le Cercle Rouge or Last Year at Marienbad from Amazon after the first week of April received their copies? I still have estimated delivery dates of April 24-29 and May 1-10, respectively, so I'm not very hopeful.

Also: what is up with the spine glue?! Frustrating to receive OOP DVDs with ruined spines. They have to be aware that this is an ongoing issue at this point.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#890 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Flike wrote: Also: what is up with the spine glue?! Frustrating to receive OOP DVDs with ruined spines. They have to be aware that this is an ongoing issue at this point.
Or they had old copies laying around that were a product of that issue which has since been resolved.

Flike

#891 Post by Flike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Drucker wrote:
Flike wrote: Also: what is up with the spine glue?! Frustrating to receive OOP DVDs with ruined spines. They have to be aware that this is an ongoing issue at this point.
Or they had old copies laying around that were a product of that issue which has since been resolved.
That's fair, as I haven't purchased anything that's debuted this year. Still, I must have bad luck.

TMDaines

#892 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:You have pretty much the opposite experience with BN/Amazon than we do in the States.
B&N have sent everything in boxes to me, or last time when they sent a few titles individually, they used these cardboard mailers that sort of suspend the DVD box, like the ones Amazon UK sometimes use for Steelbooks. Amazon US just seem to send stuff in these bubble envelopes - the complete opposite of what all the European Amazon stores do.

dad1153

#893 Post by dad1153 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Well, I just found out about the last batch of OOP Criterions and was lucky. I'm $150 poorer now but got a Blu-ray of "Le Cercle Rouge" at a Barnes & Noble and Blu's of "Army of Shadows," "Leon Morin, Priest" and the DVD of "Le Doulos" all from amazon (with confirmed e-mails that they've been shipped). I already had "Marienbad" on Blu and don't really care about "Mafioso" (seen it and it's OK but definitely something I won't lose sleep over not owning). Guess the true test of how much you care about a filmmaker or a particular film is how willing you are to pay retail prices the moment you know it's OOP. By that measuring stick I guess I already was a big Melville fan, was just too cheap or naive to know it until it was (almost) too late. And I'm not doing it for the resale value. Heck, I heard the "Le Cercle Rouge" disc rattling inside the case and right after I bought the movie I opened it right there at the store to adjust the Blu-ray so it wouldn't bounce around anymore, resale value be damned.

Does anyone think I should also buy "Le deuxieme souffle"? It's not in the Studio Canal OOP death list, but isn't it a matter of time now?

Moe Dickstein

#894 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm

souffle doesn't appear to be connected to SC

dad1153

#895 Post by dad1153 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

^^^ Thanks, guess that one can wait for the next B&N sale (which the four I bought certainly could not).

hearthesilence

#896 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Just out of curiousity, what Criterion titles taken by SC have actually been improved on by one of SC's later reissues?

After a rotten start, it seems like SC is improving and their BD of Grand Illusion is reportedly great. (Robert Harris loved it.) Of course, they've also been slow to release everything they've taken from Criterion...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#897 Post by Drucker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Just out of curiousity, what Criterion titles taken by SC have actually been improved on by one of SC's later reissues?

After a rotten start, it seems like SC is improving and their BD of Grand Illusion is reportedly great. (Robert Harris loved it.) Of course, they've also been slow to release everything they've taken from Criterion...
The Port of Shadows blu ray is indeed, superb. Seems like when they just rely on someone else's restoration, they don't touch much of it themselves, where their own restoration/clean-up efforts are done poorly (DNR in The Trial).

hearthesilence

#898 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Aw man, they messed up The Trial? I was actually planning on getting that - so basically, no good mastering of The Trial exists on home video?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#899 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 pm

The Trial BD looks vastly superior to any DVD edition, but yes, it's a pretty bad DNR offender.

matrixschmatrix

#900 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:44 pm

It's well above the standard set by Children of Paradise, anyway- I think it's overall pretty good, it's more an issue that it could be better.