Eclipse (was Criterion Cult Film Sub Company)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Schkura

#301 Post by Schkura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:38 am

ByMarkClark.com wrote:I'm told the Gordon films will be Criterion titles. This probably means that the Eclipse concept has been abandoned.
If only that was Bert I. Gordon.

Matt

#302 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:03 pm

ByMarkClark.com wrote:I was told that the Gordon films, as well as EQUINOX, GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL and some other titles, will be released under a new CC imprint that known as "Eclipse," and that we could see its first batch of releases as early as October.
Further confirmation of Goke: Bodysnatcher from Hell: it played on TCM early this morning in a new transfer (that looks extremely good) with new subtitles and a Janus logo before the Shochiku logo. Eclipse may be dead, but I expect this film will come along sooner or later from Criterion.

BrightEyes23

#303 Post by BrightEyes23 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:55 pm

if eclipse is in fact dead, that saddens me...while most of the titles that were in the pipeline will be released as CC's, it'd be nice to have an imprint, a 2nd label as it were, that would hopefully increase the overall amount of output...

one wonders if they have abandoned said line if it perhaps they just assumed that it would make more sense to just increase their overall output under the Criterion name, seeing as how its already got a well respected reputation...whats the point in starting a new offshoot if you've already got a place to release them...who knows.

justeleblanc

#304 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm

They did promise us a "new line, new look" at one point. This whole year seemed to be a very slow year for them, and my guess is like Border Radio and some of the other promised remasters, things are just delayed.

Lino

#305 Post by Lino » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:17 pm

Matt wrote:Further confirmation of Goke: Bodysnatcher from Hell: it played on TCM early this morning in a new transfer (that looks extremely good) with new subtitles and a Janus logo before the Shochiku logo. Eclipse may be dead, but I expect this film will come along sooner or later from Criterion.
Can you tell us a bit about the movie? I've yet to see it but I've been curious about it for a long time.

Matt

#306 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:48 pm

Lino wrote:Can you tell us a bit about the movie? I've yet to see it but I've been curious about it for a long time.
I haven't actually watched it yet. A bunch of people are on a plane and it crashes and then one of them is a "space vampire" (that's what Robert Osborne said) picking the rest off one by one. Meanwhile, they all bicker. All in lovely, bright colors and Shochiku-scope.

Here's a couple of reviews.

pianocrash

#307 Post by pianocrash » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:38 pm

I caught it on TCM that night, good friday-night type 1 a.m. stuff (they aired the donald sutherland Invasion of the Body Snatchers right afterwards, which I hadn't seen either, and was equally delicious). Delightful special effects were really the high point for me, as well as the 'scope presentation (even the world's worst movie would still be wonderful in that frame, dammit) of the whole schmear. And what an ending!

I just wish I could have seen jigoku first, so I wouldn't have been slightly disappointed (I've been dying to see that one, & I know the doom & gloom are probably off the charts in comparsion to Goku). But whatever. I had fun!

Jeff

#308 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:03 pm

Matt wrote:A bunch of people are on a plane and it crashes and then one of them is a "space vampire" (that's what Robert Osborne said) picking the rest off one by one. Meanwhile, they all bicker. All in lovely, bright colors and Shochiku-scope.
You had me at space vampire.

Matt

#309 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 am

Jeff wrote:
Matt wrote:A bunch of people are on a plane and it crashes and then one of them is a "space vampire" (that's what Robert Osborne said) picking the rest off one by one. Meanwhile, they all bicker. All in lovely, bright colors and Shochiku-scope.
You had me at space vampire.
I've now seen it and my synopsis stands as written. But I should also mention the hysterical American woman on the plane. As in most good horror movies, you're quite pleased to see certain characters bite it. There is also a good deal of forced political commentary. It's no Planet of the Vampires, but it's mildly diverting.

colinr0380

#310 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:39 am

Matt wrote:I've now seen it and my synopsis stands as written. But I should also mention the hysterical American woman on the plane. As in most good horror movies, you're quite pleased to see certain characters bite it. There is also a good deal of forced political commentary. It's no Planet of the Vampires, but it's mildly diverting.
Is Goke the one with the alien going into people's foreheads? If so, it is the one I've been meaning to see for years. I don't mind waiting a while longer to see if Criterion or a spin-off label release it!

Would it make a good double bill with Matango?

Matt

#311 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:31 am

colinr0380 wrote:Is Goke the one with the alien going into people's foreheads?
That's the one.
colinr0380 wrote:Would it make a good double bill with Matango?
Haven't seen Matango, but it sure sounds like it would.

THX1378

#312 Post by THX1378 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Just found this on Fangoria's page today:
Fango just got the scoop that Criterion will release a trio of genre movies from veteran producer Richard Gordon and one by his brother Alex in either a pair of double-features or a four-disc set in January. Two of the films, 1958's THE HAUNTED STRANGLER and 1962's CORRIDORS OF BLOOD, star Boris Karloff; the other duo—1959's FIRST MAN INTO SPACE and Alex's THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE—are more sci-fi-oriented but still contain monstrous elements. All the discs will feature restored transfers, and the supplements are as follows:

• Audio commentary on STRANGLER by Richard and Alex Gordon and horror historian/Fango scribe Tom Weaver
• Audio commentary on CORRIDORS by Richard, actress Yvonne Romain and Weaver
• Audio commentary on FIRST MAN by Richard and Weaver
• Audio commentary on ATOMIC by Alex and Weaver
• Making-of featurettes on all four films
• Featurette on CORRIDORS' censored footage
• Liner notes/Fango article by John Croydon with STRANGLER and CORRIDORS
• Trailers, radio spots, etc.

We'll bring you cover art, retail price(s) and final details as soon as we get 'em.

Mental Mike

#313 Post by Mental Mike » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:18 am

It does not seem that Eclipse is going to happen...after all there are tons of cult films under the Criterion label...even film buffs have never heard of some of the films released as CCs...a spin-off label would make sense for the release of Equinox or The Blob, if, that is, Criterion was also releasing mainstream classics like Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction or the Godfathers...

note: Imagine if Criterion released Godfather I and II! Wouldn't the extras be phenomenal? Footage of Brando off-screen and all that...

note II: I think criterion should release at least one Brando picture considering he has been called the best film actor of all time...

Cinephrenic

#314 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:18 pm

If only they could. But the Godfather films are in great editions already, no?

BrightEyes23

#315 Post by BrightEyes23 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:53 pm

just a quick thought...i have nothing to base this on other than pure speculation...but what if the release of Equinox on the CC label was a test run to see how well it would sell under The Criterion Collection? I'm just wondering if maybe based on its sales they decided that they could effectively release these cult films under the CC label and make more profit than releasing it under a sub label?

HerrSchreck

#316 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:26 pm

But EQ is far from CC's first "cult" film, and the upcoming titles announced certainly not their first Gordon film either. Not by a longshot is EQUINOX their first dip in the "cult" waters.

SID & NANCY, the Warhol's, FIEND WITHOU A FACE, and o so many more going back thru the laserdisc days.

The fact that they could make more money by releasing the flick minus investing in the overhead of a whole other label is a sureshot given. No?

In fact I bet they didn't spend the money on it because some genius asked: why do we need to do this in the first place? We are a cult label and have been for years.

Cinephrenic

#317 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:49 pm

Was Jigoku a test run too though? It is certainly a cult film. They would have announced Eclipse by now if it was going to happen.

Matt

#318 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:50 pm

Eclipse is happening, but it's different from what we all expected. New thread here.