#2626 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Pic of the Blu-only release of Citizen Kane from a Reddit user:

Glowingwabbit

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#2627 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Thank you sharing this. I guess I'll stick with my UHD pre-order and just put the UHD disc in a standalone case. It's a shame they continue to do such awful packaging when you consider.what other labels are doing.

Roger Ryan

#2628 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:03 pm

I know it's an iconic image (Kane in front of his campaign poster), but it seems like an intriguing design concept was fumbled by not including an image of the near 70-year-old Kane as the top photo. We've got Kane circa age 8 at the bottom, mid-20s at middle right, early-50s at middle left, and at the top... early-50s again (okay, so the 70-year-old Kane's hand is seen in the middle image, but that doesn't seem as satisfying as seeing the age progression moving upward).

ryannichols7

#2629 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:

Thank you sharing this. I guess I'll stick with my UHD pre-order and just put the UHD disc in a standalone case. It's a shame they continue to do such awful packaging when you consider.what other labels are doing.
guarantee if they had included plastic trays instead everyone would then be complaining about how it takes up too much shelf space.

no winning

ianthemovie

#2630 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm
guarantee if they had included plastic trays instead everyone would then be complaining about how it takes up too much shelf space.

no winning
I am consistent in my hatred of anything that isn't a Scanavo case. :D

Glowingwabbit

#2631 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:34 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:

no winning
Plastic trays wouldn't help. The whole design is just an impractical way to package it. Guarantee after a few uses this thing starts to show obvious signs of wear. It looks really pretty when displayed I'll give it that but I'm planning on pulling it off the shelf and using the discs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2632 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:07 pm

Slots opening towards the inside also often aren't very practical. I don't recall with it was (possibly a Criterion one), but I remember a set with this kind of stuff for which I struggled to get one disc out and thought I was about to tear the whole cardboard set to manage to get it out. I could deal with slots at this, we're sadly used to it, but this just often isn't practical as a whole and a bad design on this matter.
Which is a shame since it's just diametrally opposite to what the primary function of packaging actually is.

Matt

#2633 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:20 pm
Going to be the maverick here once again and say I love the Kane cover. I'm 99% certain it's just the first panel of a 4-panel foldout digipak that will spell out K A N E when unfolded.
Sweet vindication:

But also:
Matt wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:20 pm
Surely we don't need to see that damn snow globe again, or the shot of the Kane political rally where he's standing in front of the big gassy portrait of himself, or the publicity still of Welles standing on top of all the newspapers.
Or why not all three and more!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2634 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 pm
Weird concept for a Naked cover

colinr0380

#2636 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 pm

I wonder if Kanye's next album will be in the same style? I could see the "Y" taking the place of the rosebud image.

therewillbeblus

#2637 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm

The Citizen Kane packaging is even worse than I thought... the two horizontal discs (the UHD disc and blu-ray 1) brush up against the thick, elevated center image to retrieve them. So you need to bend them back enough to get the discs out without scratching against it- which is probably going to mess with the packaging over time, but I'm more concerned about the disc accidentally rubbing against that surface. I'm switching out the films for the supplemental discs (why they chose to put the features in the most vulnerable places only makes this design more inane) but now I'll need to remember what is where since there are printed labels for each slot. Not a big deal, but what a mess of a package

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2638 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:41 pm

That was my biggest issue with it. The design doesn't actually bother me, but it's made worse by the fact they didn't put the slots on the outer edges of the flaps for the side ones. I'm probably going to do the same as you and swap the 4K disc with the one in the top flap.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2639 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm

I kinda like that just opening the package is an event unto itself, and once you've sprawled the whole thing out on a surgical table, extraction of the discs is merely an extension of that same level of deliberate care. My approach was to lift the end I wanted to empty and lightly bend it along the sides while tapping against the seam on the opposite end until the disc, with time, found its way out. And then I would similarly bend the edges and slide the disc back in at the tightest of angles to avoid scraping the surface of the thing while returning it to its pocket. Make no mistake: This is a living, breathing, beautiful thing whose insides, like most of our own, should probably spend most of their time all zipped up. We know what's inside and that is enough. Kind of annoying though how the case protrudes an inch further than everything else on my shelf. Alas, first world problems

Andrew_VB

#2640 Post by Andrew_VB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 pm

i quite liked the packaging. i also appreciate the slots. whereas my uncut gems disc has marks on it from the hub holding in the second disc beneath the uhd disc (also has an audio skip, not sure if it's because of the scratch though), the citizen kane uhd disc came out of the slot and looks pristine.

therewillbeblus

#2641 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:35 pm

That's a good argument for the slots, and these in particular aren't obnoxious like other sets where the discs are stuck in there and hard to get out without me worrying I'm damaging them. I'll echo Chris that the packaging really isn't terrible (just, kinda a mess) outside of where those two slots are. Definitely the best "slot packaging" yet other than that though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2642 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:01 am

Best is still always going to be one flat, round bed for each disc to lay its head

ryannichols7

#2643 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 am

it's certainly better than the Varda set where mine has already become unglued (at the Jane B section, so if that disc gets lost...no loss)

I do like the Fellini design, as far as slots go

black&huge

#2645 Post by black&huge » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Disappointing and confusing

ryannichols7

#2646 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:59 pm

shouldn't be any sort of surprise they would just use the 2 disc scanavo case. if they did too many digipacks for these people would complain I'm sure

The Piano is the one I'm really curious to see what they do with. the cover looks like it's going to be a digipack and would lend itself really well to one (and a grand interior design) but maybe they have different plans. excited to see!

Finch

#2647 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 pm

Thank heavens Red Shoes is in a scavano case.

fdm

#2648 Post by fdm » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:33 pm

They already did too many digipaks, and slots.

FrauBlucher

#2649 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:05 pm

What happened to todays covers? It’s not the same unless Domino is critiquing the covers

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2650 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:09 pm

They’re all unexceptional in either direction. That probably counts as a rave from me!