Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Maltic

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4351 Post by Maltic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:04 am

Big month for Walsh with WAC also announcing Uncertain Glory and Objective: Burma!. Someone posted about a Me and My Gal-restoration as well, though that's pre-Warner period, of course.

EDIT: No Uncertain Glory, apparently. Not sure where I got that from, wishful thinking, I guess. High Sierra was rumoured in the WAC thread, but that turned out to be CC.

FrauBlucher

#4352 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Ribs wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:13 pm
Just as a random aside, it strikes me as amusing to see two very old phantom pages, for Raoul Walsh and Jack Arnold, “solved” in one month. Everyone thought Jack Arnold had to be this movie and it wouldn’t surprise me if there was another Walsh movie that the page was created for seeing as he made so many but it’s, again, nice to see that loop closed for those two names.
Yes, that's right. I forgot about the Jack Arnold page. And FWIW, Safdie brothers had phantom pages from Dec of 2016 (page 30 of that thread). Oh how those Phantom Pages were a narcotic

RSTooley

#4353 Post by RSTooley » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 pm

Kino Lorber Insider dropped that Double Indemnity is "with another label" over on the Blu-ray forums. Has anyone seen speculation that this is dropping anywhere other than Criterion?

black&huge

#4354 Post by black&huge » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm

I'm gonna predict if Criterion has it they'll drop it along with Citizen Kane in the same month.

therewillbeblus

#4355 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm

black&huge wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm
I'm gonna predict if Criterion has it they'll drop it along with Citizen Kane in the same month.
Why? There's only one spine 1111, they'll have to wait a while to make it numerically special

Ribs

#4356 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm

RSTooley wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 pm
Kino Lorber Insider dropped that Double Indemnity is "with another label" over on the Blu-ray forums. Has anyone seen speculation that this is dropping anywhere other than Criterion?
I think it probably is with them, but seeing as it was at some point available to Kino and they passed at the time (as they said a few months ago), it wouldn’t surprise me if Arrow got a hold of it, though there’s been no hints to indicate it would be coming. But it seems like a very likely “Criterion finally decided to go UHD and reached out to partners for their most classic titles Criterion missed in the BD era” pick.

black&huge

#4357 Post by black&huge » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:22 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm
black&huge wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm
Why? There's only one spine 1111, they'll have to wait a while to make it numerically special
they're reserving that spine for The InvIsIble Man

I was just predicting that if they did have DI that dropping two prestige titles during the holidays would mean a big ol' heap of cash for them. Assuming every other factor involved lines up.

RSTooley

#4358 Post by RSTooley » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:35 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm
RSTooley wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 pm
I think it probably is with them, but seeing as it was at some point available to Kino and they passed at the time (as they said a few months ago), it wouldn’t surprise me if Arrow got a hold of it, though there’s been no hints to indicate it would be coming. But it seems like a very likely “Criterion finally decided to go UHD and reached out to partners for their most classic titles Criterion missed in the BD era” pick.
I would not be surprised at all if Arrow got the rights to Double Indemnity. They have released a Billy Wilder film before, they have a very healthy relationship with Universal, and KL Insider seems to insinuate that the distributor should release the film in 4K. Arrow has had a history with 4K Blu-rays, while Criterion hasn't (yet). It certainly seems plausible.

EDIT: The only reason I think Arrow may not have the rights to Double Indemnity is the existence of a Masters of Cinema Blu-ray release of the film in the UK. I cannot think of a single Arrow release that has debuted in the States that hasn't simultaneously debuted in the UK. As far as I know, the MOC release has not gone OOP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ribs

#4359 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 pm

There are tons of US only Arrow releases, including 4K titles including Flash Gordon and Django. But I expect that based on what we know the fact of Universal licensing out a 4K license would not necessarily mean a previously licensed Blu-ray version has to go away.

skilar

#4360 Post by skilar » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Unrelated, but Under the Volcano is on HBO Max and opens with the Criterion logo. This means a release is likely, yes?

Blutarsky

#4361 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:08 pm

skilar wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:56 pm
Unrelated, but Under the Volcano is on HBO Max and opens with the Criterion logo. This means a release is likely, yes?
Under the Volcano and Wise Blood have already been released on DVD. Been meaning to check out the streaming version in case of it looks a bit better!

skilar

#4362 Post by skilar » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Oh wow! I don’t know how I missed that. I knew about Wise Blood, but completely overlooked that Under the Volcano had been released, too. My apologies! Clearly my knowledge of the DVD-only releases has some gaps.

jedgeco

#4363 Post by jedgeco » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:44 pm

black&huge wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:22 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm
they're reserving that spine for The InvIsIble Man
I'd use it for IRREVERSIBLE.

Bressonaire

#4364 Post by Bressonaire » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:57 am

I was just predicting that if they did have DI that dropping two prestige titles during the holidays would mean a big ol' heap of cash for them. Assuming every other factor involved lines up.
Much as I'd love to see both those titles released in the collection, I think that history shows that Criterion doesn’t really plug into themes except in the Halloween month, and seemingly never into the real world. Last year, during a red-hot election year, I would have expected some classic political film, like State of the Union, The Great McGinty, The Best Man, The Last Hurrah, or Advise and Consent (granted, I don’t follow who owns those—as others have pointed out frequently—although I have the last from a Warner box, and surely Criterion has access to the Preston Sturges title). But there was nothing. By the same token, I frequently hope that November releases might give us some studio classic that is seasonal or family-friendly—The Man Who Came to Dinner, which takes places between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or David Copperfield, an MGM gem. But it seems to me that there’s remarkably little dovetailing of releases with what’s going on in the outside world or with seasonal sales possibilities.

jwd5275

#4365 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Newly listed on the World Cinema Project website:

Sarah Maldoror's Sambizanga (1972)
Govindan Aravindan's Kummatty (1979)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4366 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Bressonaire wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:57 am
Much as I'd love to see both those titles released in the collection, I think that history shows that Criterion doesn’t really plug into themes except in the Halloween month, and seemingly never into the real world. Last year, during a red-hot election year, I would have expected some classic political film, like State of the Union, The Great McGinty, The Best Man, The Last Hurrah, or Advise and Consent (granted, I don’t follow who owns those—as others have pointed out frequently—although I have the last from a Warner box, and surely Criterion has access to the Preston Sturges title). But there was nothing. By the same token, I frequently hope that November releases might give us some studio classic that is seasonal or family-friendly—The Man Who Came to Dinner, which takes places between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or David Copperfield, an MGM gem. But it seems to me that there’s remarkably little dovetailing of releases with what’s going on in the outside world or with seasonal sales possibilities.
It just feels like this kind of curation is exactly what the Criterion Channel is for, but collectors probably don't plan purchases based on seasonality. I have a handful of horror films I like to bust out around Halloween, but I'm not going to aim to buy them around Halloween.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4367 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 pm

But hasn't Criterion released a horror-ish movie every October in recent years?

Boosmahn

#4368 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:45 pm

Usually, yes.

2010: House
2011: Kuroneko (does Salò count?)
2012: Rosemary's Baby
2013: Eyes Without a Face and The Uninvited
2014: N/A
2015: The Brood and Kwaidan
2016: Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro
2017: Vampyr, The Lure, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (and Personal Shopper?)
2018: Sisters
2019: Häxan and the Godzilla set
2020: N/A
2021: Onibaba and The Incredible Shrinking Man

dwk

#4369 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:08 pm

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but Barry Sonnenfeld is on the latest episode of Lee Kline's podcast and the episode description says:
A few months ago, Lee was speaking with filmmaker Barry Sonnenfeld. They were catching up on a few things related to one of the Coen brothers films, and he started to tell me why he didn’t like HDR and why he has a problem with 4k. Intrigued, I continued the conversation. But, while he was ranting I asked him if he would come on the Dead Pixel Podcast and discuss it in detail. He agreed, and we had a very funny and frank discussion about both of those subjects. But that’s not all - we speak about his favorite lenses, moving on from cinematographer to director, shooting for Martin Scorsese and Penny Marshall, and so many other topics.
I figure if it had something to do with Blood Simple, they outright say it. So it is possible they are working on another Coen brothers film (Miller's Crossing or Raising Arizona)besides The Man Who Wasn't There

therewillbeblus

#4370 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:15 pm

Well the only other two Coen films he worked on as DOP are Fox titles... though I'd love to get a proper release of Miller's Crossing with the music reinserted during the climax, at least as an option

yoloswegmaster

#4371 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:31 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:08 pm
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but Barry Sonnenfeld is on the latest episode of Lee Kline's podcast and the episode description says:
A few months ago, Lee was speaking with filmmaker Barry Sonnenfeld. They were catching up on a few things related to one of the Coen brothers films, and he started to tell me why he didn’t like HDR and why he has a problem with 4k. Intrigued, I continued the conversation. But, while he was ranting I asked him if he would come on the Dead Pixel Podcast and discuss it in detail. He agreed, and we had a very funny and frank discussion about both of those subjects. But that’s not all - we speak about his favorite lenses, moving on from cinematographer to director, shooting for Martin Scorsese and Penny Marshall, and so many other topics.
I figure if it had something to do with Blood Simple, they outright say it. So it is possible they are working on another Coen brothers film (Miller's Crossing or Raising Arizona)besides The Man Who Wasn't There
Have you been able to fully listen to the other episodes besides this new one? I know they revealed that 'Blast of Silence' was going to get an upgrade in an early episode, so I wonder if they have revealed other future releases in other episodes.
Last edited by yoloswegmaster on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#4372 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Yes, I binged them all when I found out it existed. Blast of Silence upgrade is really the only title they have spoiled.

Edited to add:

Listening now and Sonnenfeld said he had lunch with Joel Coen and Frances McDormand and he mentioned that Joel Coen wants Mniller's Crossing to be shorter. So it might be wise to pick up the current Fox Blu-ray.

yoloswegmaster

#4373 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:01 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Edited to add:

Listening now and Sonnenfeld said he had lunch with Joel Coen and Frances McDormand and he mentioned that Joel Coen wants Miller's Crossing to be shorter. So it might be wise to pick up the current Fox Blu-ray.
Do they explicitly state that Criterion will be releasing Miller's Crossing or was this just a off-handed remark?

dwk

#4374 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Just an off-handed remark.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4375 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:16 pm

It is suggested though that the Coens are working on a director's cut of the film, just like they did for Blood Simple