146 / BD 35 Goodbye, Dragon Inn

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
jegharfangetmigenmyg

Re: 146 / BD 35 Goodbye, Dragon Inn

#51 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:28 pm

This is a film that really haunts me, popping up at the back of my mind every once in a while, which is what defines an all time great to me; having been touched, but not knowing exactly what to make of a given film immediately after watching it, and then the continuous thinking about it for weeks, months and years afterwards. Kind of like watching an Ozu.

Anyways, I was lucky enough to watch the restoration twice at my local cinematheque, and now once again on the Second Run blu-ray, and I must say that even if it clearly blows the old DVDs out of the water, I doesn't look very 4K to me. Rather like an older HD master with thick, somewhat blockily resolved, instead of fine, grain. Tsai shot this on 35mm, right? Also, what's up with the noise coming and going throughout? The first example is in the ticket booth shot, starting at around 7:20. It could of course be part of the film's "ghost discourse" but it looks like print damage to me. I didn't take time stamp notes, but it occurs 3-5 times again later in the film.

By the way: That's Tsai himself watching Dragon Inn in the shot starting at 3:20, isn't it? Wondering who the long-haired guy to the right is, then.