MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Finch

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4176 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:39 pm

I've not heard of Execution in Autumn either but they've dipped their toes into Taiwanese film before with Hou Hsiao-hsien (frankly surprised that they haven't done any Edward Yang yet, especially with the Criterion BD of Yi Yi being a few years old now).

Looking forward to seeing The Shaolin Plot, and the likely Angela Mao double bill.

What A Disgrace

#4177 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:44 am

Autumn Execution was voted as the 84th greatest Chinese film of all time by the Hong Kong Film Awards, and I honestly wouldn't mind if more older rarities from this list just popped up in the MoC line from time to time.

andyli

#4178 Post by andyli » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:32 am

Its director Li Hsing only died last year. He also directed one section of the historical portmanteau film Four Moods, along with King Hu, Li Han-hsiang, and Pai Ching-jui directing the other three parts. I wonder what extras MoC might be able to cook up for this release.

Speaking of Yi Yi, I know there's a newer (4k?) restoration in Taiwan which remains unreleased on physical media to this date.

rapta

#4179 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:08 pm

Finch wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:39 pm
I've not heard of Execution in Autumn either but they've dipped their toes into Taiwanese film before with Hou Hsiao-hsien (frankly surprised that they haven't done any Edward Yang yet, especially with the Criterion BD of Yi Yi being a few years old now).

Looking forward to seeing The Shaolin Plot, and the likely Angela Mao double bill.
This is an older title than Hou or Yang, more of a contemporary of King Hu but seemingly less action-oriented and more dramatic. Nevertheless an exciting addition!

Surprised they haven't done more Hou since Daughter of the Nile and the Early Hou mini box set, but perhaps they will eventually? As for Yang, I'm kinda surprised they didn't even get Taipei Story as it hasn't got a UK release and the WCP restoration looks fantastic. Perhaps they thought people might already own the Criterion set(s) and are put off any of those? I dunno, I'm region locked so don't have any of those and would be excited to own it, plus there are a lack of extras so it's an open goal from my point of view.
andyli wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:32 am
Its director Li Hsing only died last year. He also directed one section of the historical portmanteau film Four Moods, along with King Hu, Li Han-hsiang, and Pai Ching-jui directing the other three parts. I wonder what extras MoC might be able to cook up for this release.

Speaking of Yi Yi, I know there's a newer (4k?) restoration in Taiwan which remains unreleased on physical media to this date.
I suggested Four Moods to Eureka ages ago but can't remember if they responded to the suggestion or not. I thought it might go well with The Wheel of Life, another portmanteau/anthology film with sections directed by King Hu, Lee Hsing and Ching-Jui Pai. I think both have been restored by the TFI so would make sense to bundle them together, especially if they're now doing Lee Hsing titles as well. I suspect Hu's The Valiant Ones will take preference over these though as it's already well known and has had a 4K restoration (I wonder if it'll appear later this year?).

As for Yi Yi, no upgrades on the horizon since Criterion don't often bother doing that with their titles unless several years pass. They have the rights in both the US and UK so I doubt anyone else will try, unless for some reason they let their license expire and lost the rights to another interested party. It is frustrating when this happens - I noticed a new restoration of Shinoda's Pale Flower appeared this year at Berlinale, and of course they're not going to re-release it with the new restoration (in fact I found out about it after pre-ordering the belated UK edition).

M Sanderson

#4180 Post by M Sanderson » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:56 am

Is another Sergio Sollima on the way - & is it Run, Man, Run! from a new restoration?

ChunkyLover

#4181 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:15 pm

Kim Newman's website has listed that he and Barry Forshaw have recorded a commentary for a Eureka release of "Man Without a Star".

Maltic

#4182 Post by Maltic » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 am

ChunkyLover wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:15 pm
Kim Newman's website has listed that he and Barry Forshaw have recorded a commentary for a Eureka release of "Man Without a Star".
Run, Man, Run is listed there in a similar way

FrauBlucher

#4183 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:59 pm

Announcements coming Thursday...

Finch

#4184 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:32 pm

This has been identified as a close up from the poster of the Boris Karloff film The Black Castle, with Lon Chaney in a supporting part.

What A Disgrace

#4185 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:36 am

I would hope that Eureka! will be dipping into the Universal Horror catalogue more aggressively. Shout! has some two dozen Universal horror films on Blu-ray in the states, of which Eureka has this far released, if I am not mistaken, three.

reaky

#4186 Post by reaky » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:54 am

My picks of the Shout! releases would be The Invisible Ray, The Mad Ghoul, Night Monster, Murders in the Zoo and The Monster and the Girl (the last two not actually Universal films).

Eureka seem to like their themed sets, though, so The Black Castle could be joined by The Invisible Ray, Black Friday, Tower of London, Night Key and The Climax to make up a Karloff at Universal set.

Finch

#4187 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:36 am

Running out of Time 1 & 2 (Masters of Cinema)

Universal Terror: Three Films starring Boris Karloff (Eureka Classics)

The Amazon listing does not say which films but the total running time is 3 hours and 57 minutes; and they're split across two discs.

What A Disgrace

#4188 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:14 pm

Well, we know that The Black Castle is one of the titles, which is 82 minutes. The Invisible Ray is 80 minutes, and Black Friday is 70 minutes, adding up to 3 hours and 52 minutes, which is the closest I can seem to get. It could also be The Strange Door, which is 81 minutes, adding up to either 4 hours 3 minutes or 3 hours 53 minutes.

What A Disgrace

#4189 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:00 am

Sadly, I was way off - much to my annoyance, as I was really looking forward to seeing The Invisible Ray again.

reaky

#4190 Post by reaky » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:27 am

Of all the Karloffs Eureka had access to, they went for the biggest clanger in The (anti-)Climax.

What A Disgrace

#4191 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:47 pm

If I had to make one more futile guess, Black Friday and The Invisible Ray would make an ideal double feature, considering they're both mad scientist films and both feature Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4192 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:57 pm

For those with the Scream Factory sets, two of these Karloff films are on Vol. 4 and one is on Vol. 6

yoloswegmaster

#4193 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat May 21, 2022 10:09 am

Irongod is hinting at something big that will be announced soon. I'm assuming that it's either going to be a 4K UHD release of Police Story 1 and 2, or a Angela Mao boxset.

dwk

#4194 Post by dwk » Sat May 21, 2022 6:21 pm

About two months ago I saw a picture on twitter that looked to be Frank Djeng interviewing Angela Mao, so I would assume that set is what he was hinting at.

yoloswegmaster

#4195 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 24, 2022 12:30 pm

Announcements for August titles have been delated to June 9.

yoloswegmaster

#4196 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 24, 2022 4:21 pm

A listing for Police Story 4K UHD trilogy set has leaked on Amazon. No other details outside of a September release.

rapta

#4197 Post by rapta » Tue May 24, 2022 5:21 pm

Yup, happy they're releasing Supercop separately on Blu-ray too!

Cool to see them go 4K, but happy with Blu-ray myself. I assume they'll look into upgrading other HK titles in 4K soon enough...maybe a couple of MoC titles in future too.

Finch

#4198 Post by Finch » Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 pm

Thrilled to see the Facebook comment about Police Story 3 being up for grabs coming true. The first and the third film are annual rewatches for me so I'm very happy to see them go 4k with these titles. The Project A duo can't be far behind, assuming the PS series sells decently on UHD.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4199 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue May 24, 2022 8:09 pm

I wonder if the Miramax cut of Police Story 3 will be included? That was a major film for me as a child and still like to revisit that version with an ending song by Devo, Tom Jones covering “Kung Fu Fighting”, and Yuen Wah driving in a van through the middle of China blasting Warren G.

If I recall, most of the other Fortune Star titles are 2K restorations, including Project A.

yoloswegmaster

#4200 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 24, 2022 9:05 pm

You might want to hold on to the Eureka blus as Irongod has confirmed that the Japanese cut of the first film. It turns out that Eureka got in hot water for including it the first time. The export cut for the first film will be included and it will be in 1080p on the UHD disc.