ChunkyLover

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4101 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm

John Ford's "The Sun Shines Bright" coming in January

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4102 Post by Drucker » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Ha, I have about 4 Olive titles left in my collection: Johnny Guitar, Champion, The Sun Shines Bright, and Macbeth. So I'm betting next month they'll announce Macbeth.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4103 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:57 pm

ChunkyLover wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm
John Ford's "The Sun Shines Bright" coming in January
Great news! I think this is the best of his Republic films. Really love the care MoC puts into works by Ford and I'm sad that we won't ever get more from his career at Fox from them.

If Macbeth is next, I'll find it hard for MoC to top Olive's already excellent edition.

Orlac

#4104 Post by Orlac » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:53 am

The Joseph Kuo set is exemplary, and comes highly reccomended.

yoloswegmaster

#4105 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:08 am

Eureka to release 'Odd Couple' and 'Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon'.

Finch

#4106 Post by Finch » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:41 am

I've not seen both but Odd Couple was on my list. Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon apparently has some sexist jokes and rough treatment of its women characters so doesn't sound like a safe blind buy.

Nw_jahrles

#4107 Post by Nw_jahrles » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:41 am
I've not seen both but Odd Couple was on my list. Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon apparently has some sexist jokes and rough treatment of its women characters so doesn't sound like a safe blind buy.
I’ve not seen all of Sammo’s stuff, but this seems to be a consistent theme I come across every time I have been considering blind-buying releases of his and do a little reading on one of his films (3 films set, Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind). I also found the gag in My Lucky Stars where everyone takes turns wearing a costume and pretending to be a rapist attacking the female lead so they get some sneaky feels of her body particularly tiresome (not to mention the bit goes on for a very long time since they have to do it 5 times for each member of the lucky stars)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4108 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:07 pm

If you love that type of humor in Sammo’s cinema, it culminates at its most crass and tasteless in Pantyhose Hero. Plenty of gay jokes, casual homophobia, and something I’ve only seen in Hong Kong films: AIDS jokes. There’s some good action in there, but it serves as a real object of peak un-PC Hong Kong cinema. It’ll probably never come out as its one of the numerous Golden Harvest films now owned by Warner Bros. I DO enjoy some humor like this occasionally, like the great gag that ends Encounters of the Spooky Kind.

Finch

#4109 Post by Finch » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 pm

I heard about that stuff in the Lucky Stars films and thought, I'll try catching these on tubi or other comparable channels instead. I'm just having a hard time overlooking that shit.

knives

#4110 Post by knives » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Are the tubi streams any good? My impression is that they’re all edited dubs?

Finch

#4111 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:57 pm

Of the HK titles I was able to find on tubi, pretty much everything was offered in the original with subs and dubbed versions though you'll have to put the title into the search engine sometimes to find both versions. And I'm sorry I should have been clearer about the availability of My Lucky Stars on tubi. It hasn't shown up there yet. What I should have said is, to my knowledge it's one of the more likely legal sources where those films might pop up online. The tubi streams are 720p and played fine on my laptop. You just have to accept the occasional 30 seconds to one minute ad break.

dwk

#4112 Post by dwk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:25 pm

My Lucky Stars is with Janus and is on the Criterion Channel.

Ribs

#4113 Post by Ribs » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:38 pm

The silent The Indian Tomb is coming to MoC in February as revealed by Amazon. Skinny Tiget Fat Dragon in Classics as well as we knew.

ChunkyLover

#4115 Post by ChunkyLover » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:19 am

March 2022 announcements this week

What A Disgrace

#4116 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:09 pm

That's The Odd Couple.

ChunkyLover

#4117 Post by ChunkyLover » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:13 am

A bit disappointing that there's no MoC title for March. Is this their first MoC-less month?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4118 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:16 am

Possibly. It's definitely their first Squid Game cash-in:

Finch

#4119 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:52 pm

I'd suggest renaming this thread to MoC/Eureka Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation since MoC's output is not as frequent as it used to be.

Personally, I'm thrilled to be able to see The Odd Couple for the first time, and in 2k. I'm very appreciative of their devotion to Hongkong cinema since MoC's releases from 2021 are either not appealing to me or been released in the US already and not been bettered in most cases (Johnny Guitar's Olive Signature release for starters).

ryannichols7

#4120 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 pm

I'm cool with Eureka doing whatever they need to do in order to keep the silents and stuff that they specialize in going, but man if Midnight doesn't feel like the most unabashed cash grab I've seen any of these labels do...every single thing on their social media channels has made reference to Squid Game

someone may provide more insight to me as to how involved MOC is with Eureka, as I may be a little off base here in thinking the Eureka line funds MOC at all

yoloswegmaster

#4121 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Not really sure how the release of 'Midnight' is a cash grab as Eureka had announced the acquisition of the title weeks before 'Squid Game' had even premiered. It looks as if they got a bit of luck having one of the main stars being recently associated with something that has massive exposure.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4122 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 pm
someone may provide more insight to me as to how involved MOC is with Eureka, as I may be a little off base here in thinking the Eureka line funds MOC at all
My understanding is that it's all the same company--MoC is just how they brand their more "prestigious" titles

Finch

#4123 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 pm

At least one of the MoC producers, Jacob Milligan, is also listed as producer on all the recent Hongkong releases Eureka have put out including the brand new Full Alert, and I think Jon Robertson is joint producer on the MoC titles.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4124 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:41 am

swo17 wrote:
ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 pm
My understanding is that it's all the same company--MoC is just how they brand their more "prestigious" titles
Eureka is the label, MoC, like Montage, is a collection within their overall releases.

Maltic

#4125 Post by Maltic » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 am

Finch wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:52 pm
I'd suggest renaming this thread to MoC/Eureka Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation since MoC's output is not as frequent as it used to be.

Personally, I'm thrilled to be able to see The Odd Couple for the first time, and in 2k. I'm very appreciative of their devotion to Hongkong cinema since MoC's releases from 2021 are either not appealing to me or been released in the US already and not been bettered in most cases (Johnny Guitar's Olive Signature release for starters).

The Hands of Orlac and Straight Shoothing + Hell Bent have been great releases, imo, though they're the only 2021 MoC I got so far

Btw, I'm not sure why the Johnny To films are MoC, while Tsui Hark, Sammo etc are released under the Eureka Classics banner. Not that it makes a difference to me.