21 / BD 29 Punishment Park

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:55 am

ben d banana

#27 Post by ben d banana » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:08 am

Perpee, any idea why this isn't listed on Amazon UK yet? I know Bensons World is great and all, but Amazon can be cheaper when ordering in quantity since they deduct the VAT for us North Americans. Bensons do fudge the customs value to save their customers duty and taxes though.

Also, since I appear to be quibbling about prices, when I'm paying a measly $30 Canadian for MoC discs I don't see how anyone can be reluctant to import such quality items. Especially when even a dumbass like me can walk into a chain store and pick up a decent, name brand, multi-region, capable DVD player for under $200 Canadian.

Here's to hoping for an MoC Edvard Munch too.

peerpee
not perpee

#28 Post by peerpee » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:39 am

Amazon.co.uk are currently very very slow at getting items listed, and as far as we can tell, that dept are on holiday at the moment.

The best thing you can do is email amazon and let them know you want an item adding. Lord knows we're trying.

--

re: EDVARD MUNCH. We tried, but it's with the bfi and they plan to release it. Can't wait!

Andre Jurieu

#29 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:35 pm

ben d banana wrote:Here's to hoping for an MoC Edvard Munch too.
peerpee wrote:re: EDVARD MUNCH. We tried, but it's with the bfi and they plan to release it. Can't wait!
Project X will release Edvard Munch in Canada. Their Punishment Park release mirrors MoC's, though MoC did add a few more pages for their booklet. I'm sure they will load up for Edvard Munch as well.

ben d banana

#30 Post by ben d banana » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Except I haven't found the Project X Punishment Park anywhere besides Amazon.ca and for rent a half block from me, and the price difference between the two releases online isn't much. I've been meaning to email Project X for ages, damn laziness.

Thanks for the reply.

Andre Jurieu

#31 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:46 am

ben d banana wrote:I've been meaning to email Project X for ages, damn laziness.
The guy who is in charge of the Watkins titles (Oliver?) is extremely helpful and very forthcoming with information.

Arn777

#32 Post by Arn777 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 pm

Review is up at DVD times

Also Cahiers du Cinema has an audio interview with Watkins, mostly on Edward Munch and La Commune, but he mentions Punishment park. http://www.cahiersducinema.com/ In the Movement(s) section (on the right hand side on the front page (once passed the intro), the questions are in French, but Watkins answers in English.

shirobamba

#33 Post by shirobamba » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:42 pm

From the Beaver:

"This is typical of the sterling quality that we have come to expect from Eureka's MoC series, who appear to be surpassing even Criterion in their level of excellence. (...) and we see no reason not to give this 5 out of 5. "

=D>

Pinback

#34 Post by Pinback » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:29 pm

UK residents can enter a competition over at DVD Times to win a copy of this DVD:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58576

Arn777

#35 Post by Arn777 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:46 pm

Amazon.co.uk still don't have it for pre-order despite the fact street date is less than 2 weeks away? What's up with them, still on holidays?

What A Disgrace

#36 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:15 pm

Arn777 wrote:Amazon.co.uk still don't have it for pre-order despite the fact street date is less than 2 weeks away? What's up with them, still on holidays?
They already have Nightmare Alley up for pre-order, too. This is ridiculous.

peerpee
not perpee

#37 Post by peerpee » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm

There's been a barcode kerfuffle with PUNISHMENT PARK and Amazon's system. It's taking a while to sort out, but we're still working on it.

Meanwhile, cd-wow are stocking PUNISHMENT PARK and they have it for £13.99 which is cheaper than any other etailer. Free worldwide delivery.

der_Artur

#38 Post by der_Artur » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 pm

peerpee wrote:Meanwhile, cd-wow are stocking PUNISHMENT PARK...
How much of an influence do you have on cd-wow selling all the MOC titles? Because I doubt that me sending them several requests would change anything.

peerpee
not perpee

#39 Post by peerpee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:07 pm

Believe it or not, almost all these etailers listen closely to their customers.

It's upto cd-wow if they want to stock MoC Series discs. They can have them if they want, but they do rely on customer pestering to gauge potential sales.

ben d banana

#40 Post by ben d banana » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:59 am

Andre Jurieu

#41 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:03 am

ben d banana wrote:Well, this is some progress.
Much love for the new cover-art. So much more appealing than that mean 'ol officer pointing a shotgun at a prisoner in shackles.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#42 Post by Caligula » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:44 am

Speaking of CD Wow stocking this film:

If you apply the 20%-off ritual you can pick it up for 11.19 GBP. It should work, it just did for me!

jcelwin

#43 Post by jcelwin » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:42 am

I'm not so fond of that new cover. It seem somehow out-of-place. But then, I haven't seen the film yet.

Gordon

#44 Post by Gordon » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:20 pm

Punishment Park stands alone. It's a ferocious piece of iconoclastic filmmaking from a true 'Master of Cinema'. Somewhat reminiscent of the later, Southern Comfort (1981, Walter Hill) but with an ungaurded political attitude, unlike Hill's allegory. The verisimilitude is pulverizing and it never lets up for a second. Never have I seen of that period that does not have an ounce of narrative fat or inconsistant editing; it just drives forward relentlessly to its nihilisitic denoument with reckless defiance. More from Watkins, please, Eureka - or anyone else.

Eureka's transfer and extras are superb.

devlinnn

#45 Post by devlinnn » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:21 am

Just a small note of thanks to MOC for making this available. I had only ever seen stills and read about Punisment Park through the years (memory tells me Film & Filming had a number of great pieces on the work years ago). I can only imagine what may have been if the film had a wide release at the time. Better late than never I guess. Problem is, everything else I'll be watching over the next few months will now be pointless to the core...

(Nick, just a small note that may mean nothing at all. I have ordered 8 MOC titles so far from the UK - 6 were shakers. The discs play fine, if a little marked.)

Lino

#46 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:10 am

Didn't know where to put this so it goes here.

If you follow the link below, you'll find a review for the french disc of Watkins' Edvard Munch that has been recently released in France in its complete cut:

http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-5802-0-edvard-munch.php

Alyosha

#47 Post by Alyosha » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:02 am

After waiting over a year with watching this, I finally found the right time a couple of days ago (it's quite nice to do this sometimes, some films have to grow upon you even before you watch them).

What a fantastic movie and a great dvd as well. Made over 30 years ago, it was horrifying to see the similarities with the events in the world today and with a certain country's actions in particular. The brilliant actors made it even harder to watch - I was watching a documentary.

This was my second Watkins-film (the first being "The War Game") and he's certainly one of my favourite directors at the moment. It will be very interesting to look into his other works. Where should I go from here - "Culloden" maybe?

Gordon

#48 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:28 am

Yes, go for The War Game and Culloden set from Project X: Amazon listing. The Gladiators is also worth seeing.
And of course, Edvard Munch is a masterpiece.

What A Disgrace

#49 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:02 am

Listen to the Waster.

Edward Munch is one of the few films that has crept its way into my dreams more than once.

s.j. bagley

#50 Post by s.j. bagley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:38 pm

this arrived in the post, yesterday.
it being my first master of cinema purchase, i'm incredibly impressed and will definitely be buying more.
it's an amazing and important film, and it's heartbreaking how overlooked watkins has been.