48 / BD 133 Rocco and His Brothers

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Alphonse Tram

Re: 48 / BD 133 Rocco and His Brothers

#51 Post by Alphonse Tram » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:29 am

I saw this a couple of times on the recent festival circuit, it does indeed look good. But the be honest, I hardly noticed as I was so deeply transfixed by this astonishing film.

peerpee
not perpee

#52 Post by peerpee » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:59 pm

D. A. Miller's going to be punching fridges that someone's got the temerity to do another new edition.

AidanKing

#53 Post by AidanKing » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:01 pm

peerpee wrote:D. A. Miller's going to be punching fridges that someone's got the temerity to do another new edition.
Especially because, on BluRay, it'll presumably be even more beautiful than before and therefore couldn't possibly be seen as being a neorealist film. Visconti really ought to have thought harder about that....unless (and I admit this is a slim possibility) he knew exactly what he was doing all along.

TMDaines

#54 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Just to clarify, this extra scene was not included in the previous DVD release? It was only uncovered in the most recent restoration that this Blu-ray is derived from?

MichaelB

48 / BD 133 Rocco and His Brothers

#55 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Yes. There are three sections with extra footage over the MoC DVD: the rape and knifing scenes have been extended, and there's a single brief dialogue scene involving the mother's realisation that one of her sons may have committed murder. The latter isn't narratively essential by any means, but it's so short that I can see why they put it back in.

And because the French dub was recorded to the old MoC version, the soundtrack briefly switches to Italian at this point if you're watching it in French.

ellipsis7

#56 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:30 am

Watching it now, the new 4K resto on the MoC BR is simply a beautiful rendering of a brilliant film!... More so even insofar as I attended a public interview with Claudia Cardinale here in Dublin just last Tuesday - most fascinating indeed ... Of course she is dubbed in ROCCO (I think Fellini's OTTO E MEZZO was the first to use her actual voice)... Interestingly, being born & brought up in Tunisia, she said French was actually her first language, later followed by Italian... Her favourite film, of the 155 she has made to date, is probably Valerio Zurlini's LA RAGAZZA CON LA VALIGIA, and watching it again after the i/v it is probably the character she has played which is closest to her own personality...

TMDaines

#57 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:36 am

La ragazza con la valigia is one of my favourite films. Cardinale's run in the 60s is truly astonishing. So many great films there.

filmyfan

#58 Post by filmyfan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:19 pm

TMDaines wrote:La ragazza con la valigia is one of my favourite films. Cardinale's run in the 60s is truly astonishing. So many great films there.

I agree! I saw Facts of Murder for the first time at the weekend.

TMDaines

#59 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:41 pm

That's from 1959, but yes!

jojo

#60 Post by jojo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:50 pm

TMDaines wrote:La ragazza con la valigia is one of my favourite films. Cardinale's run in the 60s is truly astonishing. So many great films there.
It truly is incredible. She has one of the most underrated resumes ever. Worked with so many legendary directors too.

ellipsis7

#61 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:19 am

As the new 4K resto of ROCCO gets a theatrical rerelease in Italy, a frame by frame glimpse of the transformation...

manicsounds

#62 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 am

kekid

#63 Post by kekid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 pm

manicsounds wrote:blu-ray.com
This review suggests that the Blu-ray falls short of achieving the full potential of the restoration in terms of video. Does that imply that Milestone has the opportunity to correct the stated problems and become the preferred version? Or is it expected to use the same encode as Eureka?

MichaelB

#64 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:37 am

Eureka didn't introduce the "stated problems" (although I think that review exaggerates them), and there's only one master of the restoration, so the answers to your questions are most likely "no" and "yes".

David M.

#65 Post by David M. » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:19 am

It won't be the same encode, but it will almost certainly be an encode from the same master.

As Michael B said, that's how the restoration is.

Finch

#66 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Might come the time when Eureka and Arrow would be better off not to send review copies to Blu-Ray.com when "Doctor" Atanasov implies bullshit like he does in his Rocco review. I have no intention of buying the film (not my cup of tea) but this guy needs to show some humility and stop deleting posts of people who challenge him, and the other mods need to stop shielding him.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:20 pm

I got my copy in the mail today, looks great. But then again, I don't know that I ever watched my MoC DVD and previously saw it on the old crummy Image DVD, so maybe because I remember what this has looked like, I'm biased

therewillbeblus

#68 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:34 pm

I've never been a huge fan of this film, but it finally clicked for me today; not so much the operatic family dynamics, which are frustratingly comprehensible yet still a bit alienating, but the raw loneliness of each and every character is soul-stirring, as they strive to achieve -or delusionally manipulate and arm themselves with- ideological values to forge intimacy in an isolating world. This is a film where people are constantly taking other people by force*, using them as objects to fulfill their spiritual holes of existential pathos. There is no room for Rocco’s idealistic collectivist morals in this milieu of individualistic segregation, but what of the youngest brothers? Ciro seems to represent the tangible possibility of shrewdly evaluating and critiquing the ignorant propagation of unearned institutional allegiance, whilst also holding onto the importance of those institutional bonds in family, but loses hope on the latter. His monologue about how Simone helped construct Ciro’s ideological worldview only to shatter it with realism explains the progression of his eroding faith, as does his subsequent pitch of Rocco as a flawed saint incongruous with the world because abundant and filterless forgiveness leads to further harm.

However, Luca is in the position of hearing his brother's sagacious skepticism of blind faith in institutional morality, and also willfully capitalizing on the value in that harmony, not yet irreparably broken by personal experience. While Ciro is pessimistic about what the future holds for his younger brother, Luca has the opportunity to soak up his brothers' sacrificial experience to inform his own middle-road path as he develops into an adult. There then is some hope that Luca will be able to have his cake and eat it too with tempered traits of forgiveness without absolute endorsement in his social relationships, which starts with his disapproval of Ciro's actions and successive invitation to dinner.
*Show
Is the implication that Simone is raped by the boxing promoter?