Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
criterionsnob

Re: Cinema Guild

#776 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm

What A Disgrace

#777 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Since Cinema Guild is planning to upgrade 35 Shots of Rum, I wonder if any other formerly DVD releases will get a similar treatment? I'm really hoping for In the City of Sylvia and The Day He Arrives!

Finch

#778 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:55 am

Lynne Sachs and Jia Zhang-ke films coming December 7

FILM ABOUT A FATHER WHO

Over a period of 35 years between 1984 and 2019, filmmaker Lynne Sachs shot 8 and 16mm film, videotape and digital images of her father, Ira Sachs Sr., a bon vivant and pioneering businessman from Park City, Utah. Film About a Father Who is her attempt to understand the web that connects a child to her parent and a sister to her siblings.

With a nod to the Cubist renderings of a face, Sachs' cinematic exploration of her father offers simultaneous, sometimes contradictory, views of one seemingly unknowable man who is publicly the uninhibited center of the frame yet privately ensconced in secrets. With this meditation on fatherhood and masculinity, Sachs allows herself and her audience to see beneath the surface of the skin, beyond the projected reality. As the startling facts mount, she discovers more about her father than she had ever hoped to reveal.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

Four short films by Lynne Sachs:
Drawn and Quartered (4 min. color 16mm, silent, 1986)
Which Way Is East: Notebooks from Vietnam (33 min., 16mm, 1994)
A Month of Single Frames (14 min. color sound 2019 )
Maya at 24 (4 min. 16 mm 2021)
Film and Family: a discussion between Lynne Sachs, Ira Sachs and Kirsten Johnson
Audio commentary with Director Lynne Sachs
Theatrical trailer
Booklet featuring essay by Ela Bittencourt
SWIMMING OUT TILL THE SEA TURNS BLUE

From master director Jia Zhang-Ke (Ash Is Purest White, A Touch of Sin) comes a vital document of Chinese society since 1949. Jia interviews three prominent authors—Jia Pingwa, Yu Hua, and Liang Hong—born in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, respectively. In their stories, we hear of the dire circumstances they faced in their rural villages and small towns, and the substantial political effort undertaken to address it, from the social revolution of the 1950s through the unrest of the late 1980s. In their faces, we see full volumes left unsaid. Jia weaves it all together with his usual brilliance. SWIMMING OUT TILL THE SEA TURNS BLUE is an indispensable account of a changing China from one of the countrys foremost cinematic storytellers.

Special Features

* VISIT a short film by Jia Zhang-Ke commissioned by the Thessaloniki Film Festival
* Video introduction by Jia Zhang-Ke
* Q&A with Jia Zhang-Ke moderated by Michael Berry, Director of the Center for Chinese Studies at UCLA
* Theatrical Trailer

knives

#779 Post by knives » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Visit is a pretty good short.

dadaistnun

#780 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:37 pm

CG’s annual Black Friday 50% off sale runs Friday through Monday. The Woman Who Ran will be available for preorder then. \:D/

The Fanciful Norwegian

#781 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Will there be an additional discount on the pre-orders? They're already showing as 50% off.

dadaistnun

#782 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Based on previous sales, I don't believe so.

dadaistnun

#783 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Robert Chipeska

#784 Post by Robert Chipeska » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:36 pm

God damn but their website is fucked up... anywhere else to buy these titles? They need to sort that mess out.

hearthesilence

#785 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Robert Chipeska wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:36 pm
God damn but their website is fucked up... anywhere else to buy these titles? They need to sort that mess out.
I don't know if you had the same issue, but I noticed that if I put something in the cart and it seems to "disappear" when I go to another page, it's actually still in there and will show up once I move through the checkout process.

Robert Chipeska

#786 Post by Robert Chipeska » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:49 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:16 pm
Robert Chipeska wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:36 pm
I don't know if you had the same issue, but I noticed that if I put something in the cart and it seems to "disappear" when I go to another page, it's actually still in there and will show up once I move through the checkout process.
Yes, exactly what happened to me.

RobertB

#787 Post by RobertB » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:50 pm

One year later I finally bought Still Life from Amazon, as Cinema Guild doesn't seem to ship to Sweden. And I got a pressed disc. It's an extremely transparent single layered disc. Maybe that has confused some people, or Amazon had some BD-R a year ago, but now it seems safe to buy. Still expensive for a single-layered disc, with the image looking scrubbed clean and basically no extras (just a trailer). The picture is somewhat better than my old BFI DVD, but the total package is not. Come on BFI and give us the BD this film deserves!

Glowingwabbit

#788 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm

Still Life wasn't a Cinema Guild release, but Big World Pictures who are now with OCN Distribution. I wonder if eventually a title like this will get rereleased by them on the Vinegar Syndrome site with a better scan and special features.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#789 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm
Still Life wasn't a Cinema Guild release, but Big World Pictures who are now with OCN Distribution. I wonder if eventually a title like this will get rereleased by them on the Vinegar Syndrome site with a better scan and special features.
I believe its discussed in the Big World Pictures thread, but there's no way this film can look any better considering the circumstances and tech used to make it. It's probably as good as it will ever look.

Glowingwabbit

#790 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:10 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:17 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
I believe its discussed in the Big World Pictures thread, but there's no way this film can look any better considering the circumstances and tech used to make it. It's probably as good as it will ever look.
Good to know. I didn't realized they had a thread. I guess best that can be hoped for is an edition with some special features and maybe an essay.

RobertB

#791 Post by RobertB » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:39 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:10 pm
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:17 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Good to know. I didn't realized they had a thread. I guess best that can be hoped for is an edition with some special features and maybe an essay.
Simply include the existing commentary by Tony Rayns, and you will have a better release. If anybody is to re-release it in USA, surely it would be best as part of a box. I don't think either The World or 24 City have been released on BD in USA, and they have existing HD scans. Best would of course be with the really early stuff. Wasn't Jia supposed to be working on remastering his first films?

ryannichols7

#792 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:23 pm

Jia's "Hometown Trilogy" films and The World are Janus holdings, all play on the criterion channel with Janus logos. Xiao Wu was restored by the world cinema foundation, and it was confirmed awhile ago that Jia was working with Criterion on a new version of Platform. naturally, Unknown Pleasures can't really be restored...but The World has some pretty good HD masters ready to go, at least.

North America rightsholders for the fiction films:
Still Life - Big World
24 City - Cinema Guild (bluray please?)
A Touch of Sin - Kino
Mountains May Depart - Kino
Ash is Purest White - Cohen

What A Disgrace

#793 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 12, 2022 5:51 pm

Hong Sangsoo's Introduction coming at the end of the month.

Finch

#794 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:45 am

Cinema Guild's September 6th release is a BD of Anne at 13,000 ft.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

Audio Commentary with director Kazik Radwanski, producer Dan Montgomery and cast members Deragh Campbell and Matt Johnson
Two short films by Kazik Radwanski
Green Crayons (2010)
Princess Margaret Blvd (2008)
Outtakes from The Skydive
Theatrical Trailer
Booklet featuring an essay by Penelope Bartlett
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

What A Disgrace

#795 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:35 pm

Hong Sangsoo's In Front Of Your Face coming October 25.

- Q&A with Hong Sangsoo from the NYC Opening at Film at Lincoln Center
- Letter to the New York Film Festival (2021, 4 mins)
- Theatrical Trailer
- Booklet featuring essay by Molly Haskell
- Reversible cover art

They also have US distribution for Walk Up.

Red Screamer

#796 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:45 pm

Always glad to see a Molly Haskell essay on a release and it's especially nice to have one for a Hong film that didn't quite work for me on first viewing.

ryannichols7

#797 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:16 pm

since Hong does not care to do extras himself (and who can blame him - he has movies to make!) I always appreciate when any interview or Q&A get included, it's great hearing him talk about his work, and his English is obviously stellar.

I probably mentioned it in the Hong thread, and Cinema Guild know this already (it's not their fault!) but I'm really annoyed no theatre in North Carolina played this film, mysticmatahari and I managed to see Introduction on a screen but not this one! wild stuff but hopefully The Novelist's Film and Walk Up make their way here.

therewillbeblus

#798 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:12 pm

I'm glad Hong's been getting a lot of attention from this label and Grasshopper. I hope they go back in time a bit and release Nobody's Daughter Haewon, arguably his best feature

Aunt Peg

#799 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:33 am

My most wanted Hong film for a Blu Ray release is Night and Day (2008).

zedz

#800 Post by zedz » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:13 pm

Night and Day (and Nobody's Daughter Haewon) have both had BluRay releases. I think the only old features that haven't at this point are Like You Know It All and Ha Ha Ha.

But for me the one that really needs an upgrade is The Day a Pig Fell into the Well, if only for the subs.