Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
beamish14

Re: Mondo Vision

#676 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Didn't know exactly where else this belonged, but I figured this is a good spot:

Trade ad for Possession, which was originally going to star Chris Sarandon and Sterling Hayden (!)

senseabove

#677 Post by senseabove » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Late Hayden has definite manic Żuławski energy. That would've been such a good pairing, I wonder why it fell through...

Helmut Griem too!

JonathanK

#678 Post by JonathanK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:24 am

Some good news for Zulawski fans... Reached out to MV for an update and they confirmed that after taking some time off since Zulawski's passing, they have now begun working on the Polish Trilogy and are also preparing a 4K edition of Possession with possibility of a "disc upgrade program" in place for those who have purchased the original Limited Edition. When asked if they would continue their Limited Edition trend with the Polish Trilogy I did not get a straight answer but was told "we are weighing all options at this point, it would either come as a boxset or individual releases". Apparently they are sitting on ton of extras recorded with Zulawski while he was still alive...

senseabove

#679 Post by senseabove » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:35 am

Excellent news!

Now the big question re:Possession is whether there's a possibility they could do an HDR grade or it'll just be a sublicense of the HDR-less French 4k scan...

Adam X

#680 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:41 am

Immense thanks for the update, and glad there’s some actual news. So happy to hear these are still on the way. Having only seen 2/3 of the films on those bargain basement ‘grey market’ DVDs, it’ll be great to finally see them.

Here’s hoping that Boris Godounov won’t be too far behind.

JonathanK

#681 Post by JonathanK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:37 am

senseabove wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:35 am
Excellent news!

Now the big question re:Possession is whether there's a possibility they could do an HDR grade or it'll just be a sublicense of the HDR-less French 4k scan...
I did ask, but they didn't provide any details!! I'm just glad they are even considering a disc upgrade program for those who purchased their Limited Edition. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the French LE, but keeping it sealed for now as it's nothing special packaging wise... the MV Velvet LE is on a whole different level, it's too high of a bar to beat... It would be awesome to have it upgraded to 4K without double dipping on a whole new set.

mhofmann

#682 Post by mhofmann » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:11 am

Whoa... if this is true, then it's about Christmas and Easter at the same time. Mondo Vision are active again! :)

Really hoping that the Polish Trilogy materializes at some point, and then other hard-to-find Zulawski titles. And, even though I have all conceivable versions of Possession in my possession, a new release of theirs will be bought immediately, upgrade program or not.

Calvin

#683 Post by Calvin » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:22 am

Adam X wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:41 am
Immense thanks for the update, and glad there’s some actual news. So happy to hear these are still on the way. Having only seen 2/3 of the films on those bargain basement ‘grey market’ DVDs, it’ll be great to finally see them.

Here’s hoping that Boris Godounov won’t be too far behind.
There's a French Blu-Ray release of Boris Godounov with English subtitles.

black&huge

#684 Post by black&huge » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 am

amazing and MV's official is updated with the Polish Trilogy being listed as in production.

http://www.mondo-vision.com/films.php

Adam X

#685 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:23 am

Don't get too excited, the listing's looked that way since around the time of their last release.
Calvin wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:22 am
There's a French Blu-Ray release of Boris Godounov with English subtitles.
Thanks Calvin - though it's pretty much impossible for me to get things from mainland Europe right now (plenty of countries around the world still aren't shipping to Australia thanks to the pandemic, and that site hasn't been mailing things down here for far longer - not that I want to give them my money anyway).
Besides, I'd much rather wait it out and support Mondo Vision's release. I've been following their releases since the beginning and really appreciate the work that's been done.

mhofmann

#686 Post by mhofmann » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 am

black&huge wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 am
amazing and MV's official is updated with the Polish Trilogy being listed as in production.

http://www.mondo-vision.com/films.php
That's been there since 2017 or so. :)

JonathanK

#687 Post by JonathanK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:00 am

Maybe I'm trippin but it was saying "Coming Next" up until 2 weeks ago, now it says "In Production" [-o< As Adam said though don't get too excited based on their website as they rarely update it. Send them an email instead, they usually reply back.

beamish14

#688 Post by beamish14 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:09 pm

I really hope My Nights Are Your Beautiful Than Your Days is on the docket, too. Besides Possession, Cosmos, and The Most Important Thing: Love, it's the only other film of his that had a legitimate DVD release in North America (The Devil and On the Silver Globe were gray market monstrosities).

mnumberger

#689 Post by mnumberger » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 pm

It's definitely said "In Production" for a few years for the titles in the Polish Trilogy. I even just checked the Wayback Machine and found a snapshot from March 9, 2012, that indicates The Silver Globe was once listed as "In Production" for a planned 2012 release!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120309222 ... leases.php

The other Polish Trilogy titles and Boris Godunov were listed as "Coming Soon" for a planned 2013 release. It's good to hear that things may be moving forward again!

MichaelB

#690 Post by MichaelB » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:13 am

I suspect the planned 2013 release was postponed because all three titles were being restored, so it would have been mad not to wait. In particular, the old SD transfer of The Devil makes a word like "murky" seem hopelessly inadequate, and the restoration was a literal revelation when I finally got to see it.

mnumberger

#691 Post by mnumberger » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:37 pm

Against all odds, the Mondo Vision website was updated September 19, 2023, according to the Chrome Developer Tools. There's now a new banner image on the home page announcing that On the Silver Globe is "COMING NEXT." Previously, the image had been for La note bleue, which was released way back in February 2017. Note that the image doesn't say, "coming soon," so we'll see when/if this release materializes. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Adam X

#692 Post by Adam X » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:39 pm

Wonderful news! At this stage, I can’t see the website ever getting updated without an imminent release. Though it does appear like they’ve given up on the idea of a 3-film boxset.

Peacock

#693 Post by Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:55 pm

I wouldn’t hold my breath with these guys.
But fingers crossed! I hope they go for a UHD if they do do it though!