Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
eerik

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1676 Post by eerik » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Indeed, Sony/Universal also run Zoom.co.uk, which I already mentioned, but that's not really the point. If these discs are released in Australia, then they will definitely be released in Studiocanal's European territories as well. Kicks also has Flash Gordon listed for July, which already has at least one listing in France for June.
Last edited by eerik on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam X

#1677 Post by Adam X » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:44 pm

eerik wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm
Indeed, Sony/Universal also run Zoom.co.uk, which I already mentioned, but that's not really the point.
Didn’t know about the Zoom connection, just thought you meant the type of store, but yeah, I know; but I wrote the post and for some reason didn’t delete it. It was done and I left it that way. :-k

kekid

#1678 Post by kekid » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 pm

I received "The Elephant Man Collector's Edition" today. Based on the reviews on Amazon UK the quality of the discs is perhaps very good. I did not even get to them, because the packaging was atrocious. The discs are housed on a 3-piece folded cardboard, which in turn is inserted in a fancy sleeve with a popup of some buildings. Once I got the cardboard part out, I could not re-insert it in the sleeve. It is so tight, I am afraid I would damage the inner piece which actually houses the discs if I tried to put it back inside the sleeve. This would be a prime example of "Impressive Impractical Packaging." I wish they used simple functional packaging rather then this flashy, thoroughly dysfunctional packaging.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1679 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I feel like packaging like that is designed by young artists who don’t actually use physical media

chatterjees

#1680 Post by chatterjees » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 pm

kekid wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 pm
the packaging was atrocious.
For a change, I am happy with it. For the first time, the spine of a studio canal box set is not creased up in my collection. I personally think that this kind of packaging saved the outer box from compression from sides and top and the bottom during the shipping. The pop-up of the church was not really necessary, but who doesn't do fancy packaging? Criterion has done this so many times.

L.A.

#1681 Post by L.A. » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:54 am

The Green Man (1956) coming May 18th.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1682 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:36 am

kekid wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 pm
I received "The Elephant Man Collector's Edition" today. Based on the reviews on Amazon UK the quality of the discs is perhaps very good. I did not even get to them, because the packaging was atrocious. The discs are housed on a 3-piece folded cardboard, which in turn is inserted in a fancy sleeve with a popup of some buildings. Once I got the cardboard part out, I could not re-insert it in the sleeve. It is so tight, I am afraid I would damage the inner piece which actually houses the discs if I tried to put it back inside the sleeve. This would be a prime example of "Impressive Impractical Packaging." I wish they used simple functional packaging rather then this flashy, thoroughly dysfunctional packaging.
I've seen an Unboxing video, and it seems like a regular digipack except it has a pop-up sleeve. It doesn't look more elaborated than that. It might however be that your copy is on the tighter end of the specs for the packaging, hence why it's so hard to put it back in. The digi on the video seems to slide very easily.
In any case though, I thought I'd favor this digi (because of the booklet, but also because I prefer this quote than the usual one used on the steelbook) but shelf space is going to make me buy the steel instead, I guess.

kekid

#1683 Post by kekid » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:40 pm

I appreciate the other users' feedback on The Elephant Man packaging. But for me, it is not just difficult to re-insert the inner box; it is impossible (it had to be pushed out with some pressure to get it out). As has been suggested, perhaps the tolerance on the outer sleeve was too tight for my unit. I had to store the discs in a 3-disc Criterion-type case. I don't know where to put the big fat book. I would have returned the whole thing, but the cost of returning to UK is very high. I have not seen the video, but I have reached the conclusion that if you need a video to explain a packaging, you should re-think it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1684 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Couldnt you simply get rid of the outer case and keep everything else together ? That's what I'd do. I'd probably cut the back cover to keep it though, but it seems much simpler than trying to change the whole packaging.

Note also that I didnt "need" the video to explain the packaging, but that your explanation made it look more complicated to me than it actually is. And I'm more of a visual guy so there's that.

fdm

#1685 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:44 pm

kekid, did you try removing/replacing the sleeve while the front flap was opened up? Seems to be what was done in the unboxing video when he seemed to be having trouble removing it (dunno if he put it back on later that way using that technique...) Also seems I've run into a similar situation somewhere along the line.

kekid

#1686 Post by kekid » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you, everyone who tried to help me with this. Yes, I tried to re-insert the inside box while keeping the flap open. It did not work. The opening is simply too small. As to throwing out the outer sleeve and keeping everything inside: yes, that is a god option. As long as I was going to do something to the packaging, I decided to economize on the shelf-space and put the discs in a single plastic box. I will save the book somewhere. Lastly, I did now watch the video. It is essentially advertising. It was interesting that the guy never re-inserts the inside box into the sleeve, the operation where I had problem.
In any case, I guess we have beaten this to death. I will just write it off as bad luck.

MichaelB

#1687 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:07 am

This is why I went for the steelbook edition, which had the additional advantage of being a fair bit cheaper. (I’m only interested in the UHD disc, which could come in a plain CD case for all I care.)

What A Disgrace

#1688 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:07 am
This is why I went for the steelbook edition, which had the additional advantage of being a fair bit cheaper. (I’m only interested in the UHD disc, which could come in a plain CD case for all I care.)
Same here, except that I really did care about the packaging. I just hate StudioCanal's limited edition packaging, but I do like steel books. They take up much less room on the shelf!

Calvin

#1689 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 pm

I didn't have any problems with the packaging, but it is undoubtedly tight and clearly causing more bother than its worth. Other than that it might be Studio Canal's most impressive release ever - encoded by David Mackenzie / Fidelity in Motion, a booklet that's substantial and worthwhile, a great selection of extras. Hopefully they use that same model for Breathless and Ran. Though they can feel free to drop the 'art cards' - does anyone find any value in them?

FrauBlucher

#1690 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:18 pm

ellipsis7

#1691 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:18 am

Just spooling through the newly arrived SC Fellini blurays - THE WHITE SHEIK & NIGHTS OF CABIRIA - and they are very nice indeed... Crisp picture, great grain & emphatic blacks - in short pretty lovely 4K restorations & transfers... Superior technically & qualitywise, especially THE WHITE SHEIK, to their previous LA STRADA SC bluray restored edition...

Yakushima

#1692 Post by Yakushima » Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 pm

Watching the new SC bluray of NIGHTS OF CABIRIA - the new restoration looks absolutely magnificent!

eerik

#1693 Post by eerik » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:51 am

November 2020

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1694 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 am

Le cercle rouge will be released in France in UHD on Nov 18th 2020. New 4k restoration.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1695 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 am

Any breakdown on new extras for the Godard?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1696 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Apparently the above special edition with vinyl soundtrack and 40 page booklet plus art cards will be exclusive to Amazon.co.uk

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1697 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:39 pm

I have no idea yet since it has just been announced. A good guess would be to check the former UK BDs, since I suppose the new discs (UHD & BD) are likely to replicate the same options. As soon as I'll have more details, I'll post them here.

Cash Flagg

#1698 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm
Apparently the above special edition with vinyl soundtrack and 40 page booklet plus art cards will be exclusive to Amazon.co.uk
I can’t wait to not be able to order it!

eerik

#1699 Post by eerik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am

tenia wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 am
Le cercle rouge will be released in France in UHD on Nov 18th 2020. New 4k restoration.
Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Three Days of the Condor, Serpico, and Ran are also expected for this year.

eerik

#1700 Post by eerik » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:29 am

eerik wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am
tenia wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 am
Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Three Days of the Condor, Serpico, and Ran are also expected for this year.
Amazon France has a bunch of them all listed for 18th November. :-k

Serpico
Three Days of the Condor
Total Recall
La haine
Le cercle rouge