Kino: Miklós Jancsó Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Kino: Miklós Jancsó Collection

#51 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:36 pm

People here and elsewhere shit all over Kino, but like, this was clearly the best release of the year from any label, especially considering the cost

cdnchris
Site Admin

#52 Post by cdnchris » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Heartily agree! I think i got it for $20 and it was worth far more than that. It's a favourite of mine as well.

ryannichols7

#53 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:26 pm

Kino made up for all shortcomings with this one. every label should take from this - the caliber of the commentators, the short films, even the liner notes, while not extensive are still great to have. I'd love to see Kino do more of this sort of thing and other labels do the same. I'm far more likely to blind buy and give something a shot if its like this

luckily with Jancso I was already in, so no obstacle. I do plan to actually hear all of these commentaries (only heard MichaelB and Jonathan Owen's so far and a sampling of Kat's The Confrontation track - all uniformly excellent) and come back to this thread with my thoughts on them, but luckily Jonathan Rosenbaum gave his glowing thoughts awhile back

release of the year? it'll easily win my ballot, hope the same for the rest of the forum

vsski

#54 Post by vsski » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:20 pm

I certainly belong to the people who have been extremely negative about Kino after initially buying quite a few of their releases and either being rather disappointed with what looked not much better than an upscale or being thwarted by a far superior UK release. So I stopped buying their discs for the better part of the last 7 years.

The Jancsó collection was the first time I again purchased one of their releases and I whole heartedly agree that it is a superb set with excellent commentaries and good AV presentations.
While I still don’t like the company’s release strategy and the glut of mediocre product, if they continue producing sets like this, I’m more than happy to buy from them again.

Grand Wazoo

#55 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:33 pm

This is an amazing release and really do think Kino is at their best with the 'compact collection' style releases that seem like labors of love. This, The Tony Buba release, Ken Jacobs vol 1, The Complete Joaquim Pedro de Andrade, The Morris Engel Collection, etc.

therewillbeblus

#56 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:56 pm

Yep, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them release a larger affordable Mekas set stateside at some point, though nothing that’ll contend with the Re:Voir box