Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
yoloswegmaster

Re: Kino

#3426 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:49 am

Metrograph will be releasing Goodbye, Dragon Inn in December, with a commentary from Phoebe Chen and an introduction from Nick Pinkerton.

andyli

#3427 Post by andyli » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:22 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:49 am
Metrograph will be releasing Goodbye, Dragon Inn in December, with a commentary from Phoebe Chen and an introduction from Nick Pinkerton.
You all can thank me for finally getting the Second Run release after so many years. Now a stateside version came out with a commentary. #-o I guess at least I can hold on to the Tsai interview which is pretty extensive by his standard.

Peacock

#3428 Post by Peacock » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 pm

Don’t forget Madame Butterfly!

TechnicolorAcid

#3429 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:39 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:49 am
Also Made in Hong Kong is releasing December 19th.

ryannichols7

#3430 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:26 pm

Made in Hong Kong will feature a commentary by Sean Gilman and Ryan Swen, a pretty good reason to double dip from the MOC (which has a superior cover + booklet with Tony Rayns). I believe this is a commentary debut from both parties

Goodbye Dragon Inn I'll wait for reviews of the commentary, not familiar with Chen. quite happy with the Second Run release. either way, glad Metrograph finally got releases of these out there and stopped sitting on them - one wonders if the Millennium Mambo sales have been pretty good

criterionsnob

#3431 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:34 pm

Hopefully L’intrus is next.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3432 Post by Drucker » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:49 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:26 pm
Made in Hong Kong will feature a commentary by Sean Gilman and Ryan Swen, a pretty good reason to double dip from the MOC (which has a superior cover + booklet with Tony Rayns). I believe this is a commentary debut from both parties

Goodbye Dragon Inn I'll wait for reviews of the commentary, not familiar with Chen. quite happy with the Second Run release. either way, glad Metrograph finally got releases of these out there and stopped sitting on them - one wonders if the Millennium Mambo sales have been pretty good
This video essay by Pinkerton on Goodbye, Dragon Inn really helped with my appreciation of the film, if you want a preview of what kind of context to expect.

dwk

#3433 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:31 pm

Raro Video, via Kino, is releasing Jean Renoir's The Golden Coach on Blu-ray.

This is still with Janus Films (or at least it is still listed on their website.) So I wonder if this is actually going to happen or if it will go the way of Cat in the Brain, which Raro announced, but the US rights were with Grindhouse, so it was never released.

hearthesilence

#3434 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:25 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:31 pm
Raro Video, via Kino, is releasing Jean Renoir's The Golden Coach on Blu-ray.

This is still with Janus Films (or at least it is still listed on their website.) So I wonder if this is actually going to happen or if it will go the way of Cat in the Brain, which Raro announced, but the US rights were with Grindhouse, so it was never released.
Someone (David Hare?) mentioned that the color is tricky to get right and that Criterion didn't quite do it right for their DVD (especially for the restored ending which was completely botched). Would love a new HD or 4K version from anybody, but hopefully they'll finally get the look right.

EDIT: Ah, missed this in the thread for Criterion's box set, posted on 23 Mar 2021:
solaris72 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm
A newer restoration of The Golden Coach is streaming on Amazon Prime. Wasn't looking carefully but didn't notice any problems in the final minutes.

Peacock

#3435 Post by Peacock » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:24 pm

David Hare on the beautiful French (and English friendly) blu-ray:
SpoilerShow
The life force, Anna Magnani is Columbine and Camilla in the Theatre and in Life, and inextricably both in Renoir's hymn to performance and theatre, The Golden Coach from 1952. I've always found the comparison of this and Cukor's Heller in Pink Tights from 1960 irresistible but never had the chance to program them together until now in my own cinematic sanctum.

The screen is from an eye wateringly beautiful new-ish restoration to Blu-ray on the French TFI label, from CNC and PostHouse Digimage re composited from original 3 strip negs, then newly color timed and mastered. I am guessing, given the paucity of information on the disc the resto was performed sometime around 2012. This is a simply perfect rendition of one of the very greatest color films ever made, (photographed by Renoir-bro Claude) and one of the last 3 strip neg Tech productions and it's a revolutionary step up from Criterion's disastrous inclusion of a fatally compromised source from Gaumont in its three DVD "Stage and Spectacle" boxset from ten years or so ago. On my player the French subs on the English language version are removable, and the disc includes the rarely seen French audio version which was dubbed under other hands than Renoir's after the very first release in a third, and now totally unavailable Italian dub which premiered the picture in 1952. Renoir himself always nominated the English version as his preferred and he was right. Almost all the parts are spoken by the players themselves, with quite a bit of wild track running as principal audio, excepting the bullfighter and the BIshop who were dubbed in this and in the French version. Both versions are completely identical with the same takes, setups etc, and only a four second difference in running time but all the French dialogue has been post synched, again by most if not all the actors themselves, including Magnani whose French is as capable as her excellent English.

This is a movie I used to borrow in a lovely IB 16mm print from the then French Embassy library in Sydney, perhaps like many others here, and play endlessly onto a blank wall for friends and myself, until we had nearly worn out the drum on my old post WW2 Bell and Howell. It's some sort of tribute to encroaching age and the thought of life fading further and further into time that the very timelessness of this masterpiece can be brought back so vividly in such an ideal, premium quality format, in the latter part of one's life, and for a younger audience of cinephiles. Yet, when you watch post war Renoir the concepts of time, ageing and the passing of life itself seem so completely abstract in the face of his boundless reaffirmation of hope and the value of all life. I hope I live forever with Magnani's/Camilla's mantra from the opening scene ringing in my ears ... "is all this worth it for two hours every night?" Yes, it is
I think it’s out of print now but you can often get it sealed on eBay etc. I imagine Raro will use the same restoration. Hope it contains all sorts of goodies to make it worth the double dip.

dwk

#3436 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pm

The only extras listed for The Golden Coach are:
Alternate French audio track
Audio commentary by film critic Adam Nayman

Maltic

#3437 Post by Maltic » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:32 pm

But that's an intriguing one, with Nayman (debut?)

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3438 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:23 pm

You mean Nayman's first commentary? He also has commentaries on Vinegar Syndrome's Showgirls, Kino's Oh, Doctor! and Poker Faces, and the just-released Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz from Fun City. There don't seem to be any predating those.
criterionsnob wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:34 pm
Hopefully L’intrus is next.
How did the DCP look? The "HD" version they put out on VOD the previous year was almost certainly an upscale (from a PAL source at that). And I could be wrong, but I don't think the DCP played any other venues, which strikes me as suspicious.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3439 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:24 pm

Kino is releasing Molinaro’s Des femmes disparaissent with an Adrian Martin commentary. Not one of his better titles from his noir period, but much more deserving of being dumped in a three pack than the two better Molinaro noirs they bundled together for their French noir set

What A Disgrace

#3441 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:56 am

What a way to experience my final Tarkovsky film.

MichaelB

#3442 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:42 am

Considering that for many years that was the Tarkovsky film that fared the worst on DVD, this is strangely fitting.

jsteffe

#3443 Post by jsteffe » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:45 pm

I received the Raro/Kino Lorber Blu-ray of the new 4K restoration of THE CONFORMIST and found it a marked improvement, especially color-wise. Many scenes have more pronounced tints, but they also have more robust color and frankly look more atmospheric. The older transfer often went for a neutral white balance, which I suspect was fighting against Storaro's use of colored filters and lighting since the image often looked quite desaturated, even anemic, as a result. The older transfer also had many clipped highlights. I've seen complaints about a "Ritrovata" look in the new restoration, but it's clear to me that they tried to give each scene/timeline a specific look. The grain and image stability also look superior in the new restoration. Svet's review seems way off base to me.

FrauBlucher

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#3444 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:29 pm

Coming Soon from KINO CLASSICS on Blu-ray!
4K Restoration by Gaumont!

TIH-MINH (1918)
Starring Mary Harald, René Cresté, George Biscot, Édouard Mathé & Gaston Michel
Shot & Edited by Léon Klausse (Judex)
Written & Directed by Louis Feuillade (Fantômas, Les Vampires)

pistolwink

#3445 Post by pistolwink » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:54 pm

The Gaumont blu-ray has French intertitles w/ optional English intertitles. I wonder if they are simply going to replace the French titles with English ones? And if the translation will be any different?

unclehulot

#3446 Post by unclehulot » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:32 am

pistolwink wrote:The Gaumont blu-ray has French intertitles w/ optional English intertitles. I wonder if they are simply going to replace the French titles with English ones? And if the translation will be any different?
That’s rarely done anymore. I doubt they would in this case.

Matt

#3447 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:08 pm

pistolwink wrote:The Gaumont blu-ray has French intertitles w/ optional English intertitles. I wonder if they are simply going to replace the French titles with English ones? And if the translation will be any different?
Not to seem unkind, but I think Kino will put in the minimum effort required for this release.

What A Disgrace

#3448 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:55 pm

Day one purchase. Absolutely one of my most sought after films.

unclehulot

#3449 Post by unclehulot » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:06 pm

Matt wrote:
Not to seem unkind, but I think Kino will put in the minimum effort required for this release.
Since the original release is perfectly fine, and the only thing that needs new English subs is a short documentary, I don’t see a problem. If they put out Judex it’ll save folks from having to import the French discs (which ARE region ABC btw). Considering the niche of a niche category of this, I’m surprised and grateful they would even bother to release it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peacock

#3450 Post by Peacock » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:24 pm

Like every member of this forum, I have the beautiful French release but I hope this only leads to a bit more Feuillade love in the West which may help encourage Gaumont to consider restoring some of his other serials… Probably unlikely but you never know!