Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Kino

#3351 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:07 pm

That it’s on HBO Max at all means it could be getting a Blu soon though

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3352 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:39 pm

That's probably because it was part of the virtual TCM Classic Film Fest on HBO Max (it also aired on TCM itself). Hopefully WB understands there's a bigger market for this than for A Woman of Affairs or Why Be Good?, two other restorations that bowed at the TCMCFF and only got DVD-Rs through Warner Archive.

justeleblanc

#3353 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am

There was also that new restoration of FORBIDDEN PARADISE. It's not nearly as good as ROSITA, so it didn't get the same amount of attention as ROSITA got, but it's still pretty decent and likely looking for a home on Blu.

By the way, whatever happened to the Flicker Alley Blu ray release of MARRIAGE CIRCLE?

dustybooks

#3354 Post by dustybooks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Blast from the past time: does anyone know if the Edison: the Invention of the Movies DVD set from 2005 originally came with a book/booklet of any significant size?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3355 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:47 pm

Not certain I have a first pressing, but mine only has a 2005 copyright and there is no booklet

dustybooks

#3356 Post by dustybooks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:42 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:47 pm
Not certain I have a first pressing, but mine only has a 2005 copyright and there is no booklet
Thank you!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3357 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:04 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:47 pm
I think the reprint version has cardboard slots versus plastic hubs in a thicker packaging

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3358 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am

My copy is cardboard with slots that still leave half of each disc visible. The packaging is the same thickness as a standard DVD case. I bought it from Borders in 2011

Aunt Peg

#3359 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 am

For those who don't know Kino have just released Bruno Dumont's France on Blu Ray.

hearthesilence

#3360 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:43 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm
Mambety's Hyenas...in May.
Fortunately this is currently on sale for $9.99 for those who haven't taken part in the March/April sale yet.

I just saw this through Metrograph's streaming library and I thought it was great - marvelously done. I'm a little wary of allegories, but this doesn't fall into any of the traps that can accompany them as the context creates a rich and complex sociopolitical and moral dilemma, one that manages to entertain with a frothy tone without diluting or diminishing any of the harrowing aspects of its ideas.

The restoration looks great too, though there are parts of it that look a bit questionable in terms of the grading. (Éclair strikes again?) I was surprised to see it was a 2K restoration because the close-ups looked so clean and detailed, I would've guessed 4K.

L.A.

#3361 Post by L.A. » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:40 am

The Olive Trees of Justice (James Blue, 1962)

Region-locking of this would be nice to know as well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3362 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:50 am

Ha, they was one of the few unseen films I was eager to see at the MoMA program, glad to know it’ll be widely available

MichaelB

#3363 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 21, 2022 2:35 pm

L.A. wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:56 pm
L.A. wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:45 am
Is the Jancsó set A-locked? Just curious.
Got mine and checked; yes it is.

Second Run’s discs are region-free so… What’s the logic? We have probably gone through this many times but just wanted to open up. So there.
US labels often region-lock when they don’t have to, whereas UK ones pretty much never do unless it’s contractually enforced. No idea why.

black&huge

#3364 Post by black&huge » Sat May 21, 2022 4:16 pm

I actually never understood region locking in general aside from the aforementioned contractucal obligation for whatever reason, Like if a studio licensed out whatever movie to multiple regions and it was all region free wouldn't they make the same amount of money either way no matter who chose which version compared to when only certain regions can only buy certain editions?

Furstemberg

#3365 Post by Furstemberg » Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm

The region-locking of Indicator’s Universal licenses took five years off my life fwiw

dwk

#3366 Post by dwk » Sat May 21, 2022 4:45 pm

black&huge wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:16 pm
I actually never understood region locking in general aside from the aforementioned contractucal obligation for whatever reason, Like if a studio licensed out whatever movie to multiple regions and it was all region free wouldn't they make the same amount of money either way no matter who chose which version compared to when only certain regions can only buy certain editions?
No. Why would a boutique bother with the higher cost of licensing titles for the US market if everything was region free and people could just import the UK releases for half the cost?

For example, UHDs are region free and multiple US labels have said they have no interest in pursuing Dawn of the Dead because of the combination of high licensing cost and the availability of Second Sight's strong UHD.

black&huge

#3367 Post by black&huge » Sat May 21, 2022 4:48 pm

dwk wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:45 pm
No. Why would a boutique bother with the higher cost of licensing titles for the US market if everything was region free and people could just import the UK releases for half the cost?

For example, UHDs are region free and multiple US labels have said they have no interest in pursuing Dawn of the Dead because of the combination of high licensing cost and the availability of Second Sight's strong UHD.
That's something I didn't think about. I was under the impression studios take a percentage of a boutique label's unit sales. Unless they do but they take a tiny amount because most of their money (for home video sales) is in fact made by the actual licensing fee

dwk

#3368 Post by dwk » Sat May 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Studios/licensors take both, an upfront licensing fee and a cut of the sales.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3369 Post by tenia » Sat May 21, 2022 5:05 pm

I'm surprised by this claim about the UK UHD of Dawn of the Dead. I don't think things are very different from DVD and BD for which "nothing replaces a domestic release", but is it actually the case ?

I might also be wrong but I'm quite certain Second Run doesn't licence the US rights for the movies they release in the UK, especially since Criterion have some of those in the US, and yet their BDs remain region free. It's thus likely the right holder simply doesn't make it a contractual requirement, and Criterion are possibly region-locking them by force of habit (a rumor I heard about over the years).

dwk

#3370 Post by dwk » Sat May 21, 2022 6:55 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:05 pm
I'm surprised by this claim about the UK UHD of Dawn of the Dead. I don't think things are very different from DVD and BD for which "nothing replaces a domestic release", but is it actually the case ?
I am going by my admittedly faulty memory, but I recall Don May saying something like that on his now deleted instagram account, someone from Vinegar Syndrome saying it on Blu-ray.com, Cliff MacMillan from Scream, also on Blu-ray.com, and Severin, on Facebook maybe, all indicated they wouldn't pursue Dawn of the Dead. I think the bigger factor is the exorbitant licensing fee that Richard Rubinstein wants, but combined with the Second Sight release, they all feel it isn't worth it.

MichaelB

#3371 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 am

tenia wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:05 pm
I might also be wrong but I'm quite certain Second Run doesn't licence the US rights for the movies they release in the UK, especially since Criterion have some of those in the US, and yet their BDs remain region free. It's thus likely the right holder simply doesn't make it a contractual requirement, and Criterion are possibly region-locking them by force of habit (a rumor I heard about over the years).
Criterion definitely don't need to region-lock everything, and indeed until the mid-2000s their policy was the same as that of British boutiques - i.e. to not region-lock unless contractually forced to, which in practice generally meant US and Japanese major studio titles but not much else.

Second Run's titles are invariably region-free (is there an exception? I think they had to lock one of their DVDs once, but I can't think of any region-locked BDs) because the titles they distribute are so obscure that there's a fairly limited prospect of anyone licensing them anywhere else, so it's arguably in the rightsholder's interest to ensure that their releases are as compatible with global equipment as possible, regardless of whether or not they've only specifically licensed for the UK.

On the other hand, major studios pretty much invariably insist on region-locking now - Sony used to be the big exception, but they changed their policy at the turn of 2019/20. (Their own releases are usually region-free, but of course in those situations they actively want the discs to be as accessible as possible - there's no territorial rights issue because they own the films globally to begin with.)
dwk wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:55 pm
I think the bigger factor is the exorbitant licensing fee that Richard Rubinstein wants, but combined with the Second Sight release, they all feel it isn't worth it.
It's also worth noting that the US fee will be much bigger than the UK fee, because the US market is that much larger.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3372 Post by tenia » Sun May 22, 2022 11:38 am

Do you know if the change of mind at Sony has to do with how they're now seemingly sub-licensing more than they used to or if it's related to the people in the related jobs there having changed ?

black&huge

#3373 Post by black&huge » Sun May 22, 2022 2:28 pm

Was it ever sort of/closely figured out how Second Sight was able to fork over whatever amount to license Dawn? I had never kept up with the label until that release unless Rubinstein for whatever reason cut them a deal

dwk

#3374 Post by dwk » Sun May 22, 2022 2:55 pm

tenia wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:38 am
Do you know if the change of mind at Sony has to do with how they're now seemingly sub-licensing more than they used to or if it's related to the people in the related jobs there having changed ?
I thought that someone from Indicator hinted that a US licensee complained about the region free UK releases, but I can't remember where I read/heard that. (I just assumed it was Shout Factory bitching about the cheaper, better UK releases of the Sony titles they licensed, but that is just based on my negative feelings towards them as a company.)

eerik

#3375 Post by eerik » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:30 am

Last edited by eerik on Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.