Arbelos / Cinelicious Pics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
FrauBlucher

Re: Arbelos / Cinelicious Pics

#151 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:21 pm

The slipcase doesn't do anything for me. I ordered from Amazon. I am hoping there'll be a price drop but I doubt it

Calvin

#152 Post by Calvin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:35 am

Arbelos newsletter:
Hi Arbelos fans,

We sincerely hope this note finds you in good health amidst the ongoing COVID19 pandemic.

First off, we’d like to issue an apology. We realize in hindsight that we overlooked our commitment to newsletter subscribers and you weren’t given first chance to pre-order the Sátántangó blu-ray, and subsequently the limited edition slipcases sold out in less than 24hrs. To amend this oversight, we’re producing another 500 slipcase editions, and are happy to share this link for pre-orders. We won’t be publicly advertising the reprint until December 1st, and to anyone who ordered a regular edition after the initial 500 were sold out, you will be receiving a slipcase version, as well.

We’re also including some surprise extras with the slipcase sets, as a thank you for your patience and understanding. All limited edition slipcase orders will also be receiving a Sátántangó “Szunet” intermission filmstrip bookmark and a postcard with a message from Béla Tarr.

We’re also thrilled to announce the first-ever vinyl edition of Mihály Vig’s iconic score to Sátántangó, limited to 1,000 copies! As with the slipcase reprint, this link won’t be publicly advertised until December 1st. The records will ship in April 2021.

Lastly, we regret to to inform you that we’ve been forced to cancel the previously announced Sátántangó special edition box set. The set is simply no longer feasible given the new economic realities resulting from the COVID19 pandemic.

It’s been a truly tumultuous and unprecedented year, and more than ever we appreciate your support and loyalty. It’s an honor and privilege to finally bring Béla Tarr’s masterpiece to Blu-ray!

Team Arbelos

FrauBlucher

#153 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:25 pm

MichaelB

#154 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 am

My copy, ordered more than two months ago, has finally started a slow trundle in my direction, but this chimes so perfectly with the tone and pace of the film itself that it’s hard to be too miffed about the lengthy delay. Not least because with my wife and kids permanently at home these days, my plan to watch it all in one go on the big telly while they’re at work/school/college is unlikely to come to fruition any time soon.

therewillbeblus

#155 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:44 pm

My copy of Satantango shipped today from Amazon, set for a delivery on Thurs- when it had listed a delayed early-mid Feb anticipated delivery date for the last month, so hopefully others have similar luck

Roscoe

#156 Post by Roscoe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm

I placed my order for SATANTANGO in November, and Amazon is now saying they'll e-mail me when they have a possible delivery date.

Are any other sellers shipping sooner than Amazon?

Fiery Angel

#157 Post by Fiery Angel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Deep Discount shipped my copy on Saturday.

Luke M

#158 Post by Luke M » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:44 am

Amazon has a delivery date of February 18 for my Satantango

MichaelB

#159 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 am

Mine’s been sitting in a depot in LA since Friday, presumably waiting for exactly the right cloud.

Roscoe

#160 Post by Roscoe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 am

The email I received from Amazon said my copy of SATANTANGO will arrive between Saturday January 23 and Monday February 1, while the site says it will arrive on Sunday January 24.

So much for Amazon Prime

FrauBlucher

#161 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Mine doesn't even have a shipping date yet

Edit... Just got an email from Amazon. Delivery estimate... Feb 15th to March 24. Slow cinema, slow delivery

HernandoBiggies

#162 Post by HernandoBiggies » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Copy ordered from Arbelos arrived today. Slipcover is more of an envelope.

MichaelB

#163 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 am

Mondo Digital.

And I'm expecting mine any day now; if I read the latest tracking info correctly it's either currently in the air over the Atlantic or it's landed in the UK but hasn't been scanned at that end yet.

therewillbeblus

#164 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm

Mine arrived today, one day earlier than expected with the caveat of a broken case that won't close on the bottom and one loose disc inside, but at least the disc doesn't appear scratched and I'm not too optimistic on a reasonable timeline for a replacement so I'll take it

John Cope

#165 Post by John Cope » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm

Just received mine today via Deep Discount. No slipcover though. Was that a thing unique to ordering direct from Arbelos? Anyway, I look forward to comparing this and the Artificial Eye edition since I have both.

Soothsayer

#166 Post by Soothsayer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:06 am

John Cope wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm
Just received mine today via Deep Discount. No slipcover though. Was that a thing unique to ordering direct from Arbelos? Anyway, I look forward to comparing this and the Artificial Eye edition since I have both.
Yeah the slipcover was exclusive to the Arbelos site. I got my copy on Wednesday. Along with the slipcase, a strip of film stock and a postcard were also included. Hoping to find time to watch this weekend.

Roscoe

#167 Post by Roscoe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am

Update from Amazon -- arriving Tuesday, shipping from a facility in Humble, TX.

So there's no copy available in a place closer to me in NYC. Amazon's just weird.

MichaelB

#168 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Mine is in a weird state of limbo, having last been seen flying out of LA three days ago. I know flights from Europe to the West Coast feel that long, but it should notionally have hit the UK at some point on Wednesday morning.

So I like to think that it got intercepted by a Customs official who watched the whole thing but was unsure about whether to let it through, so passed it higher up, and they're still partway through that screening.

Emm

#169 Post by Emm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:33 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am
Update from Amazon -- arriving Tuesday, shipping from a facility in Humble, TX.

So there's no copy available in a place closer to me in NYC. Amazon's just weird.
Humble, TX has always been world renowned for its plentiful stockpiles of Eastern European art cinema home video products. It’s like Florida and oranges.

I ordered directly from Arbelos and only just got it today even though it was in the pipeline early enough to make it to me on release day. The mail has been strangely overwhelmed even these weeks after Christmas, like the online ordering binge nationwide never really slowed down and USPS still hasn’t caught up.

Cash Flagg

#170 Post by Cash Flagg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:57 am

‘I’m seeing double here - four Lorre’s!’

MichaelB

#171 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:16 am

Emm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:33 pm
I ordered directly from Arbelos and only just got it today even though it was in the pipeline early enough to make it to me on release day. The mail has been strangely overwhelmed even these weeks after Christmas, like the online ordering binge nationwide never really slowed down and USPS still hasn’t caught up.
Yes, every time I check the USPS website it warns me that their systems are currently overloaded and delays are endemic. But it'll get here at some point - at least I now have a tracking-scan audit trail, even if it hasn't been updated since Tuesday.

EddieLarkin

#172 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 am

Arbelos version has superior compression vs. the Artificial Eye, despite a similar bitrate.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#173 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am

Not surprising, considering how flawed the AE compression was. It's also very likely David M encoded the Arbelos release, hence a better result even at a similar bitrate.
It also adresses the funky AR of the AE disc, which clearly is from AE and isn't the restored master's AR.

MichaelB

#174 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:21 am

David M did indeed encode the Arbelos release, which is why I went for it despite the considerable extra expense. This stems from doing a side-by-side comparison of the Criterion and Eureka Shoah a few years ago and noting that the Eureka version was really noticeably better despite unavoidably having a similar bitrate.

I see my package was last spotted in Atlanta as of this morning.

bluesforyou

#175 Post by bluesforyou » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:10 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 am
Arbelos version has superior compression vs. the Artificial Eye, despite a similar bitrate.
What is going on with the aspect ratios here?

Edit: Nevermind. The AE has the wrong aspect ratio. About 1.60:1 instead of 1.66:1.

That itself makes the AE release useless.