Arbelos / Cinelicious Pics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
What A Disgrace

Re: Arbelos / Cinelicious Pics

#251 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:36 pm

Chameleon Street in August.
  • New 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
  • New audio commentary featuring Wendell B. Harris Jr. and Ashely Clark.
  • New audio commentary featuring cast and crew .
  • Marriage Counseling – The evolution of a scene .
  • Being Independent is Glorious – An archival conversation featuring Harris and Mike Plante.
  • Archival video interview with William Douglas Street Jr.
  • The Process – Archival documentary on the making of CHAMELEON STREET.
  • Colette Vignette – Harris’ award-winning 1986 short film featuring CHAMELEON STREET actress Colette Haywood.
  • So, You Say You Know Leadbelly… – Archival footage from CHAMELEON STREET pre-production character explorations.
  • Original theatrical trailer.
  • 2021 U.S theatrical trailer.

hearthesilence

#252 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:59 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:36 pm
Chameleon Street in August.
  • New 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
  • New audio commentary featuring Wendell B. Harris Jr. and Ashely Clark.
  • New audio commentary featuring cast and crew .
  • Marriage Counseling – The evolution of a scene .
  • Being Independent is Glorious – An archival conversation featuring Harris and Mike Plante.
  • Archival video interview with William Douglas Street Jr.
  • The Process – Archival documentary on the making of CHAMELEON STREET.
  • Colette Vignette – Harris’ award-winning 1986 short film featuring CHAMELEON STREET actress Colette Haywood.
  • So, You Say You Know Leadbelly… – Archival footage from CHAMELEON STREET pre-production character explorations.
  • Original theatrical trailer.
  • 2021 U.S theatrical trailer.
Finally. I thought this would've been out over a year ago given some of the info published in 2021. Maybe they were just working on the extras?

Cash Flagg

#253 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:02 pm

The slipcase edition of Chameleon Street, available exclusively through the Arbelos online store, is limited to 1,000 copies featuring an invisible ink cover design and collector’s accordion foldout poster.

Available for pre-order now and will ship August 8th.
Link

What A Disgrace

#254 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:21 pm

Life Is Cheap...But Toilet Paper Is Expensive, December 12

I'm sure Arbelos will do their usual limited slipcover, too.

criterionsnob

#255 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:31 pm

Arbelos Black Friday Sale is live, and they announced a limited North American release of György Fehér's Twilight, coming February 7. I have the Second Run release, which I haven't watched yet. I know there have been complaints on the SR encode, but this release will be encoded by David Mackenzie. It has two short films that the SR release doesn't have. I guess I'll have to pick this up too.
LE: Twilight - Blu-ray
Limited edition slipcase
Collectable "giant" drawing as seen in the film
New 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative by the National Film Institute – Hungarian Film Archive and FilmLab, supervised by Miklós Gurbán.
New video interview with cinematographer Miklós Gurbán
New video interview with editor Mária Czeilik
György Fehér's first two short films: Öregek (1969) and Tomikám (1970)
U.S. Theatrical Trailer
New English-language subtitle translation
12-page booklet with new essay by Andrea Virginás (Film Genres in Hungarian and Romanian Cinema: History, Theory, Reception)
Region Free (A/B/C)
Encoding by David Mackenzie at Fidelity in Motion

What A Disgrace

#256 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:22 pm

I'll gladly double dip. The only better film I've seen all year was On The Silver Globe, which I'm also going to double dip on of Mondo decides to bring home the bacon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#257 Post by swo17 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:20 pm

This is strange--if I put both Twilight and Chameleon Street in a single order, the shipping is more expensive than if I place a separate order for each one

FrauBlucher

#258 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:47 pm

How great is Twilight? I'm thinking of a blind buy

Finch

#259 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:02 pm

If you like Bela Tarr's films, then you should be good. Otherwise, you might want to try rent it first. My own tolerance of grim, austere Eastern European slow burners isn't what it used to be but that's on me. Deaf Crocodile's Russian fairytales and crazy animations from Hungary are more what I'm looking for.

balintantal

#260 Post by balintantal » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:55 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:47 pm
How great is Twilight? I'm thinking of a blind buy
I think it's fantastic. And I'd agree with what Finch said: it's for the Tarr fans.

criterionsnob

#261 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:43 am

The Arbelos Twilight looks to be an improvement. Here's the Beaver comparison.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#262 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:10 pm

The Second Run encode wasn't particularly good, so it was a given than the FiM-encoded Arbelos disc would be fixing this.

nicolas

#263 Post by nicolas » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:07 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:10 pm
The Second Run encode wasn't particularly good, so it was a given than the FiM-encoded Arbelos disc would be fixing this.
It’s funny that Tooze only recognized this after seeing the FiM encode. An acknowledgment like this (about him only noticing the issues with the Second Run after seeing the David M encode) is highly problematic. I think he shouldn’t have mentioned this at all as it blatantly exposes his incompetence. I’m sorry but there’s no better way to put this. Also, with his reviews he inspires (some) people to buy these releases, which may have been the case for the Second Run. Unfortunately this is nothing new with all reviewers but I nonetheless consider this a significant stain on his credibility.

Matt

#264 Post by Matt » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 pm

At least he did acknowledge his mistake, which is more than you can say for some other prominent reviewers. As for Gary’s credibility as an astute reviewer, well…you can find complaints almost identical to yours going back more than 20 years.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#265 Post by tenia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:39 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 pm
At least he did acknowledge his mistake, which is more than you can say for some other prominent reviewers. As for Gary’s credibility as an astute reviewer, well…you can find complaints almost identical to yours going back more than 20 years.
In some ways, yes, at least he recognized it, but I chuckled too because I reviewed the Second Run version of Twilight, and like others, I definitely didn’t need a comparison to realize the encode wasn’t very good. Which is, actually, a big part of the issue in reviewing when it comes to encodes : way too many reviewers need this to realize what’s wrong. There’s technically no need for it, as it can perfectly be assessed on its own, but too many discs are getting passes because too many reviewers need this proof by example. Until this changes, and the majority of reviewers are able to spot this as is, it’s very likely the relevant encoders and labels won’t feel there’s something to involve.

As for Gary… yeah.

EddieLarkin

#266 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:05 pm

Second Run's encoding has been noticeably terrible since they went Blu. I haven't watched a single one of their discs without being distracted by compression issues (they cause anomalies that are vastly more obvious during playback than the caps suggest). It's a huge shame considering the important films they deal in. I wish they would see how much better other labels handle some of the same titles (even Criterion of all labels are light years ahead of them) and make the necessary improvements.

Finch

#267 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:30 pm

I'd actually advocate that they reduce the number of titles they release and hire someone competent for the encoding. Tropical Malady is meant to be coming from them and I'm frankly prepared at this point to bypass the Second Run release to see how whoever has the film for the US will deal with the new restoration. Ditto Szindbad.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#268 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:32 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:30 pm
I'd actually advocate that they reduce the number of titles they release and hire someone competent for the encoding.
They only do 1 release per month. It's not a pacing issue. However, they've always been going through Silversun for their authorings and encodes, so it's very likely just down to them.

Finch

#269 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:35 am

I meant more from a cost perspective though. If hiring someone more competent costs more and reduces the number of releases a little due to budget limitations, that'd be an acceptable trade off, to me, anyway.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#270 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:49 am

Oh, right, my bad.
I'm not sure it'd cost more to switch to, say, the non-FiM encoders Arrow use.

FrauBlucher

#271 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 pm