Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Finch

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3276 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:27 am

I've spent enough money on the Indicator sale but I do have a few Kino titles on my list. Do I understand it correctly that Kino BDs will only go OOP if the license expires and stock of the titles in question is depleted?

They seem to have a sale fairly regularly so I want to prioritise UK imports and the Criterion Sternberg silents in June.

MichaelB

#3277 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:07 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:54 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:03 am
Talking of which, for literally decades I assumed that the glaring jump-cuts in Horse Feathers were down to the poor condition of the only 35mm print in UK distribution - stuff like this was so routine that it was easy enough to tune out. It wasn't until I worked on the Arrow Blu-ray a few years ago that I realised that they'd been inherent in every copy since some crude Production Code censorship was applied circa 1934 - and, sadly, the missing footage has yet to be found.
Wow. What were the offending jokes?
To quote from the relevant bit of my booklet essay:
Harpo’s facility with an instant quip even rivals that of his garrulous brothers: when an irate cop says “Do you see that badge?”, Pinky opens his coat to reveal enough to make a North Korean general seem underdressed. Although when Wagstaff tells him that you can’t burn a candle at both ends and Pinky immediately produces horizontal evidence to the contrary, Wagstaff wins the duel with “I knew there was something you couldn't burn at both ends. I thought it was a candle”.

That blatant innuendo at least survives today. Sadly, some of its companions weren’t so lucky, and some glaring jump-cuts in Horse Feathers can make for disconcerting viewing in an era where we expect pristine perfection even in 85-year-old films. Some of the more overt cuts appear to be down to post-1934 Production Code censorship, while it’s also believed that some footage was extracted from the negative for a now-lost compilation film of Harpo’s antics. While there were rumours that an intact print of Horse Feathers played in British cinemas in the 1950s, nothing has reliably come to light since.

The first of the two missing scenes appeared just before Pinky’s encounter with the coffee-seeking tramp, and involved the detailed mechanics of his dog-catching business, which which involves luring them with fake lamp posts of various sizes. Later on, the visibly truncated scene in Connie’s boudoir continues with Harpo’s attempt at seducing her after she affectionately says “You’re bashful” to him – he then reveals that he’s anything but. The resulting tangle involves a returning Groucho mistaking Harpo’s bared leg for Connie’s, and he quips that they could use her on the football team. When Chico and the thuggish Jennings (David Landau) return, Harpo is revealed, and he and Chico flee. Outside, they encourage Groucho to jump out of the window into Harpo’s dog-catching net, but Harpo is distracted by a dog at the crucial moment when Groucho is in free fall. The original ending, in which Pinky’s celebratory bonfire ends up burning Huxley College to the ground while the brothers obliviously play poker, appears to have been deleted before the premiere, as there are no reliable records of it ever being shown in public.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3278 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:54 pm

Anyone know when the March Madness sale ends?

captveg

#3279 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:54 pm
April 5th

In other news, KL Insider finally posts what they should have days ago:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - Update

We've reached out to the studio and are looking into this. We should have further updates soon.

captveg

#3280 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Cotton Come to Harlem (1970) (DVD) (BD is also OOP) (Had reappeared briefly after being gone a week or so ago)

yoloswegmaster

#3281 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 pm

New update on the Alfredo Garcia situation:
KL Insider wrote:On December 2, 2020, our QC person had flagged the master as one that looked very similar to the previous master, so he reached out to our authoring house and received confirmation that the correct file was used, the new file included the word arrow and the master featured the new studio logo which was not on the previous master.

bringmetheheadofalfredogarcia_arrow_feature_MGM_mezz_185_1080_2398_prores422hq_ENG_2c h.mov

On Saturday March 6th, the review came out claiming our new master looked similar to the one used for the previous Blu-ray release.

On Monday March 8th, I looked into this and both the authoring house and studio confirmed that we had received and used the correct file. I posted the update.

On Friday March 12th, we were told there may've been a mistake and we'll know more on Monday. I posted another update.

On Monday March 15th, the studio told us the UK label has apologized and told them the UK mastering house had sent the studio the wrong file by mistake and that it was right before they closed their facilities due to the pandemic. They promised that both the studio and KL will receive the restored master this week.

Here’s the link to the replacement program:

https://www.kinolorber.com/Alfredo_G...cement-usa-can

PfR73

#3282 Post by PfR73 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:54 pm
April 5th

EDIT: I missed this was already answered.

hearthesilence

#3283 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:31 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 pm
New update on the Alfredo Garcia situation:
KL Insider wrote:On December 2, 2020, our QC person had flagged the master as one that looked very similar to the previous master, so he reached out to our authoring house and received confirmation that the correct file was used, the new file included the word arrow and the master featured the new studio logo which was not on the previous master.

bringmetheheadofalfredogarcia_arrow_feature_MGM_mezz_185_1080_2398_prores422hq_ENG_2c h.mov

On Saturday March 6th, the review came out claiming our new master looked similar to the one used for the previous Blu-ray release.

On Monday March 8th, I looked into this and both the authoring house and studio confirmed that we had received and used the correct file. I posted the update.

On Friday March 12th, we were told there may've been a mistake and we'll know more on Monday. I posted another update.

On Monday March 15th, the studio told us the UK label has apologized and told them the UK mastering house had sent the studio the wrong file by mistake and that it was right before they closed their facilities due to the pandemic. They promised that both the studio and KL will receive the restored master this week.

Here’s the link to the replacement program:

https://www.kinolorber.com/Alfredo_G...cement-usa-can
That was a colossal and sloppy fuck-up, but at least they got it straightened out.

captveg

#3284 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:05 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Busting (1974) (BD)

It looks like the previously OOP Delirious (1991) (BD) is back in stock, so some copies must have been found at the KL warehouse.

captveg

#3285 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:01 pm

It appears some BD copies of The Falcon and the Snowman (1985) were located as the BD version had been unavailable and presumably OOP since 1/5/21.

Same thing for the BD of The Missouri Breaks (1976), which was gone last week.

MichaelB

#3286 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:01 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:31 pm
That was a colossal and sloppy fuck-up, but at least they got it straightened out.
Although an apology to Gary Tooze would have been a nice gesture, instead of just deleting the evidence. Because in this particular instance he wasn't the least bit wrong, and didn't deserve to have his entire reputation trashed like that.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3287 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 am

They're also now trying to shift the blame to Arrow despite KLI having said Kino had access to both masters and that he was "pretty sure they could tell the difference".
If the story in the statement is true, KL actually never got access to both masters, so what difference could have they perceived ?

Also, I was under the impression MGM had performed additionnal color corrections over the 4k master, so why would the culprit lie on Arrow sending their 4k master since it wouldn't contain the MGM color corrections ?

MichaelB

#3288 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am

I am more than happy to believe that they received a mislabelled file, although the jury appears to be out on who mislabelled it.

hearthesilence

#3289 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am
I am more than happy to believe that they received a mislabelled file, although the jury appears to be out on who mislabelled it.
Is this a real liability issue? If they need to replace or re-press stock that's already been manufactured, I imagine this is causing an enormous argument over who's paying the bill.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3290 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:24 pm

If Kino's bothering to do it, I imagine that means they aren't footing the bill

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3291 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:I am more than happy to believe that they received a mislabelled file, although the jury appears to be out on who mislabelled it.
I'm quite certain KL knows who sent what and where exactly the wrong file got sent. I'm just unsure if what KLI detailed puts the blame exactly where it should be, or if it's just because it's a bit complicated to read for an outsider and I'm reading it wrong.

As it reads, since it says "the UK label apologies", it looks like Arrow (or the UK authoring house, god knows what they're doing in there) sent the wrong master to the studio, but again, if MGM was supposed to do additionnal color correction, should whatever Kino released at least have different colors compared to the older relevant release ?

I'm also unsure about the whole "we received confirmation that the correct file was used, the new file included the word arrow and the master featured the new studio logo which was not on the previous master", since the older master was the one with the more modern studio logo.

Again, based on the timeline and details disclosed by KLI, I still have no idea what happened, what they received, what they checked, who sent the wrong file and who received it.
Last edited by tenia on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captveg

#3292 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Added today to the "While Supplies Last" sale, meaning once they're sold out they are OOP:

Aspen Extreme (1993) (BD & DVD)
The Magnetic Monster (1953) (BD)
Navajo Joe (1966) (BD & DVD)
Steele Justice (1987) (BD & DVD)

captveg

#3293 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm

A Bullet for Joey (1951) (BD) (DVD still available)
D.O.A. (1988) (BD) (DVD still available)
Gone Fishin' (1997) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)
Navajo Joe (1966) (BD) (DVD still available)
Night Angel (1990) (BD) (DVD still available)
Rolling Vengeance (1987) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)

EDIT: KL Insider says he's "pretty sure" D.O.A. is just out of stock. (I do wish they made things clearer on their website about these things). EDIT 2: It has indeed returned to availability on the website. Night Angel BD is also back in stock.
Last edited by captveg on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deathbird

#3294 Post by deathbird » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 pm

captveg wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm
KL Insider says he's "pretty sure" D.O.A. is just out of stock.
"It's the Arrow transfer. Thread closed."

hahahaha

captveg

#3295 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Drum (1976) (BD)
The Falcon and the Snowman (1985) (BD) (DVD still available) (BD was recently OOP for a while before some stock was located)
Last edited by captveg on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captveg

#3296 Post by captveg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Dimension 5 (1966) (BD) (DVD still available)

captveg

#3297 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Beggars of Life (1928) (BD) (DVD still available)
Delirious (1991) (BD) (Had briefly returned after being presumed OOP a few months back)

captveg

#3298 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Truck Turner (1974) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)

L.A.

#3299 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Coming to Blu-ray June 8th from Kino Classics and the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Stiftung!

The Woman One Longs For (1929)
Starring Marlene Dietrich
Directed by Kurt Bernhardt

Marlene Dietrich for years insisted that The Blue Angel (1930) was her screen debut, when in fact she was catapulted to fame by this silent drama of 1929, which fits neatly among the visually dynamic and emotionally dark melodramas of Josef von Sternberg and G.W. Pabst. Uno Henning stars as a young businessman whose plans of marriage are interrupted when he becomes entranced by a haunting young woman (Dietrich) who seems to be the victim of a monocled sadist (Fritz Kortner). Like Dietrich, director Kurt Bernhardt would emigrate to the United States and enjoy a long career making films based around strong female characters, including Possessed (Joan Crawford), A Stolen Life (Bette Davis), and Miss Sadie Thompson (Rita Hayworth). Restored in 2012 by the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Stiftung, this edition is accompanied by a spectacular original orchestral score by Pascal Schumacher.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Gaylyn Studlar
*Orchestral score by Pascal Schumacher in 5.1 Surround and 2.0 stereo
*Optional English subtitles

L.A.

#3300 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Coming July 20th on Blu-ray & DVD!

Thunderbolt (1929)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Trailers
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

From Josef von Sternberg, the legendary director of The Blue Angel, Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express and Blonde Venus, comes this Pre-Code proto-noir that mixes electrifying thrills with torrid romance. Condemned gangster Thunderbolt Jim Lang (George Bancroft, Old Ironsides) plots revenge on the young man (Richard Arlen, Beggars of Life) who stole his girlfriend (Fay Wray, King Kong) and landed next to him on death row. Featuring script work by Charles Furthman (Underworld) and Jules Furthman (The Big Sleep) with Hollywood greats Herman J. Mankiewicz (Citizen Kane) and Joseph L. Mankiewicz (All About Eve), Thunderbolt is an emotional drama renowned for its pioneering use of early sound technology, expressionistic visuals and bold blending of genres.