Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2926 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 am

Uh, why?

willoneill

#2927 Post by willoneill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:54 am

The perfect gift for that very specific individual who wants The Underneath on blu-ray, but not King of the Hill.

beamish14

#2928 Post by beamish14 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:54 am

Beats me. This one is a real head-scratcher.

I do appreciate how transparent the KL Insider(s) has been, though. They mentioned that Bill Forsyth/John Sayles' Breaking In
doesn't have an HD master from MGM, which is why they won't touch it. Also, they said that Anthony Newley's
demented ego trip Can Hieronymous Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Love was slated for Scorpion
until Universal discovered it wasn't cleared for home video.

L.A.

#2929 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:38 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:42 pm
Coming November 17th!

ULYSSES (1954)
• 4K Restoration by StudioCanal
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Includes both U.S. and Italian cuts in HD
• Alternate U.S. Opening & Closing Titles (SD)
• Trailers
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 104 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
This lush adaptation of Homer’s grand epic The Odyssey stars Kirk Douglas (The Vikings) as the hero Ulysses. After victory in the Trojan War, Ulysses embarks on a ten-year journey back to his kingdom. But before he can reunite with his beloved wife (Silvana Mangano, 5 Branded Women), he must defeat the brutal Cyclops, escape the spell of Circe who turns his crew into swine and outwit the Sirens who lure sailors to their death. Peril is everywhere—even at home, where the arrogant Antinous (Anthony Quinn, Barabbas) plots to steal Ulysses’ wife before he can complete his final quest in this powerful tale of heroism. Co-starring Rossana Podestà (Helen of Troy) with stunning cinematography by Harold Rosson (Singin’ in the Rain).
Beaver.

nitin

#2930 Post by nitin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:19 am

Caps-a-holic seems to show that Kino's 4k restoration touted for Five Graves to Cairo looks to be the same master as used on the FR release (which seems to also line up with the MoC release?). Seems like one of the more underwhelming 4k restorations if so.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2931 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:24 pm

It's not Kino's but Eureka's disc that has been added to caps-a-holic.
Kino has been compared to the Eureka disc on Beaver, and they're definitely different sources (unlike indeed the UK and FR discs).

nitin

#2932 Post by nitin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks, silly mix up at my end re what was at capsaholic.

captveg

#2933 Post by captveg » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:14 pm

More OOP based on no longer appearing on the website:

Still of the Night (1982)

L.A.

#2934 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Coming 2021!
Brand New 4K Restoration by Universal Pictures!

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) Starring Lon Chaney, Patsy Ruth Miller, Norman Kerry & Kate Lester – Based on the Novel by Victor Hugo (Les Misérables) – Directed by Wallace Worsley (The Penalty).

agnamaracs

#2935 Post by agnamaracs » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Well, the obvious question... what kind of sources are they working from?

Stefan Andersson

#2936 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:34 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm
Well, the obvious question... what kind of sources are they working from?
Probably a Show-at-Home print, provided by Jon Mirsalis along with the original cutting continuity.
See discussion w/ video clip here: https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30580

L.A.

#2937 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:20 pm

Coming March 2nd!

Caught in the Draft (1941)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger and Film Archivist Stan Taffel
• Entertaining the Troops
• Command Performance 1944
• Command Performance 1945
• Hollywood Victory Caravan
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 82 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Comedy legend Bob Hope (The Ghost Breakers) once again teams up with his “Road to” co-star Dorothy Lamour (My Favorite Brunette) in this hilarious comedy directed by David Butler (Road to Morocco). Hope plays gun-shy movie star Don Bolton who, despite his concerted efforts to avoid the draft, nevertheless gets caught in it. Despite being the worst of soldiers, Don ends up being hailed as a hero and then looks to win the heart of the colonel’s gorgeous daughter (Lamour). Beautifully shot in glorious black-and-white by the great Karl Struss (Sunrise) and co-starring Eddie Bracken (Hail the Conquering Hero).

captveg

#2938 Post by captveg » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:46 pm

The Offence (1973)

(Apparently sold out before Mr. Connery's passing, but I just missed it being gone from the site. Beamish14 said earlier in this thread that he ordered a copy on 10/21, so it had to be after that).

Marty (1955) is also down to 38 copies, per KL Insider.

L.A.

#2939 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:42 am

Coming March 2nd!

My Favorite Blonde (1942)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 78 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Comedy legend Bob Hope (Nothing But the Truth) stars in this wonderful espionage comedy directed by Sidney Lanfield (The Lemon Drop Kid). It’s “all aboard” for intrigue, laughs and romance as Hope and Madeleine Carroll (The General Died at Dawn) contend with German spies during a daffy but dangerous cross-country chase. Bing Crosby makes a memorable cameo appearance in this free-wheeling comedy gem. Beautifully shot in glorious black-and-white by legendary cinematographer William C. Mellor (A Place in the Sun) and co-starring Gale Sondergaard (Road to Rio), My Favorite Blonde was the first of three “My Favorite” movies starring Hope, followed by My Favorite Brunette (1947) and My Favorite Spy (1951).

L.A.

#2940 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Coming March 9th!

The Choirboys (1977)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson
• Interview with Actor Don Stroud
• 3 Radio Spots
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 119 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
From Robert Aldrich, the acclaimed director of Vera Cruz, Attack, The Flight of the Phoenix, The Dirty Dozen and The Longest Yard, comes this raunchy, hilarious black comedy exposing the everyday lives of ten metropolitan policemen. Charles Durning (True Confessions), James Woods (Cop), Louis Gossett Jr. (Diggstown), Perry King (Class of 1984), Randy Quaid (The Long Riders), Don Stroud (Coogan’s Bluff) and Burt Young (Rocky) lead a group of rank-and-file policemen from the Los Angeles Police Department, who look for ways to cope with the pressures of the job. Dubbed “choirboys” for their after-hours shenanigans, they meet for “choir practice”—periodic relaxation sessions at which the group gets drunk, chases women, plays practical jokes and reveals their innermost fears. This fast-paced, outrageous comedy gives an eye-opening glimpse into the lives of the boys in blue, who follow a simple gospel: work hard, play harder. Based on the novel by legendary novelist and ex-policeman Joseph Wambaugh (The New Centurions, The Onion Field, The Black Marble).

yoloswegmaster

#2941 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Coming March 9th!

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (1974)
• 2017 HD Master From a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Wedlle and Nick Redman
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Josh Olson
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

dwk

#2942 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Another Twilight Time rescue
March 16th!

RUNAWAY TRAIN (1985)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Audio Commentary with Co-Star Eric Roberts, and Film Historians David Del Valle and C. Courtney Joyner
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Rod Lurie
• Limited Edition Slipcase
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

therewillbeblus

#2943 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Both great ones too

beamish14

#2944 Post by beamish14 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:43 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:38 pm
Both great ones too
absolutely, but Arrow beat them to the punch and has already released great editions of both.

therewillbeblus

#2945 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Oh of course, and I have them, but for stateside folks who aren’t region free it’s great that they’re available

dwk

#2946 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Arrow's Runaway Train used the same old master as the TT disc and I seem to recall that it has some scratch removal errors. So if Kino doesn't screw up, their release should look better than the previous blus.

captveg

#2947 Post by captveg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Buffalo Bill and the Indians (1976) (DVD still available)

captveg

#2948 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Witness to Murder (1954) (DVD still available)

Also, it looks like KL may have had some retailers return copies of Man of the West (1958) because the BD is back in stock after being unavailable for some weeks now.

Mr. Pingboom

#2949 Post by Mr. Pingboom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 pm

How does Kino Lorber make money? Sheer volume of product? They’re always running some sort of deep-discount sale, and their discs are already pretty inexpensive (for licensed content). It seems they announce a new title every day or two, and it’s almost always something I can’t imagine selling more than a few hundred titles. I’m not trying to be catty, I’m genuinely perplexed.

whaleallright

#2950 Post by whaleallright » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 pm

My guess is much like clothing retailers like Gap, etc., the true break-even price for their product is very low, and that's why they can have "sales" seemingly every few days. Basic consumer psychology suggests this is a better strategy than just keeping the standard price even lower than it is. I've paid full price for some Kino titles in part because it's a business I am happy to support, especially if it encourages them to put out more of the kind of titles I'd like to see (and which almost nobody else is putting out): stuff like the Pioneers sets, silent films, etc.

It is curious that several of the major studios' "legacy" divisions clearly see an advantage in licensing older titles in bulk to companies like Kino, as opposed to reserving them for their proprietary streaming services (and thereby beefing up the number of titles they can boast of offering, even if practically very few subscribers are going to be watching Reginald Denny features). I have heard that the cost of making digital transfers of film elements has gone down in recent years, so that may be part of it.