Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TheKieslowskiHaze

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3001 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:02 pm

captveg wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:23 pm
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) UHD revealed for a 4/27/21 release.

D1 of the set is the 4K UHD for the Extended Cut. D2 is a regular BD for the Theatrical Cut (presumably the same disc from the previous BD release).
I've purchased this movie on DVD or Blu perhaps more than any other. Each new edition comes with problems, some big and some small, but I'm decently happy with Kino's current blu-ray of the superior theatrical cut. I understand, however, that that transfer is not great.

I'll pass on this upcoming one, since I don't much like the extended cut. That is, I'll pass UNLESS the BD has a new and improved transfer. As that does not seem to be the case, a definitive home video release of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly remains elusive.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3002 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 pm

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:05 am
Svet reviewed Kino's release of The Beguiled at blu-ray.com.
To answer your question: Yes, the phrase "toxic femininity" does appear in the review.
Another stellar review from Svet, that depicts himself as vastly smarter than the "mainstream opinion", despite not being able to properly articulate a sentence like anyone from this mainstream opinions would. This leads to this gem : "I viewed The Beguiled last night for the first time in many years, and I could not stop smiling. It is covered with booby traps that can very quickly destroy a wide range of mainstream opinions, including many contemporary ones, of the flaws the two sexes frequently see in each other. On top of this, there is a terrific sense of humor attached to them -- I am sorry but if you do not detect the subtle Siegel-esque humor, you are missing, and very possibly misjudging, a lot -- that essentially makes it one deliciously wicked film."

Though it's quite fun to see the words "booby traps" appear between "toxic masculinity" and "toxic feminity".
But I guess he has to keep busy now that he can't feed his personal profile with Trump news every day.

dwk

#3003 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Baxter is one of the recent Scorpion/KLSC StudioCanal pick ups

Ribs

#3004 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:53 pm

From the Insider:

"We just signed a 66 title deal with Universal and plan to add another 50-60 titles in June or July of 2021. The 66 titles include two TV shows, four 4KUHD releases, one Scorpion/KL co-release and four Code Red/KL co-release"

FrauBlucher

#3005 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:26 pm

KL Insider was asked if the Universal deal has any films from Margaret Sullavan, Bing Crosby and Cecil B DeMille. He said yes to all three

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3006 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 pm

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote: I'll pass on this upcoming one, since I don't much like the extended cut. That is, I'll pass UNLESS the BD has a new and improved transfer. As that does not seem to be the case, a definitive home video release of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly remains elusive.
It's unlikely to be. There has been no new restoration since the 2014 one, which is the base of the Kino BDs (both for the EC and the TC) with additionnal color corrections performed. The UHD is very likely to simply use this color corrected master (in SDR becase the 2014 restoration was SDR, and I guess Kino still don't want to take the time nor the money to re-do the grading in HDR), and the TC to recycle the previous disc or at least the previous master.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3007 Post by soundchaser » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:52 pm

No new Sirk coming -- I'll have to put my dreams of Has Anybody Seen My Gal? on hold again.

dwk

#3008 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:55 pm

The Kino Insider said it would cost 10 times more to do an HDR grade for The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly than it did to do Hannibal. Which seems excessive to me, but what do I know.

Also their Santo releases have been cancelled.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#3009 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:13 pm

captveg wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:23 pm
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) UHD revealed for a 4/27/21 release.

D1 of the set is the 4K UHD for the Extended Cut. D2 is a regular BD for the Theatrical Cut (presumably the same disc from the previous BD release). EDIT: D2 BD is newly authored to put more of the special features on the BD disc, but the encode of the Theatrical version of the film is likely the same.
Kino advertises this as having "over 30 hours of shot-by-shot color grading" for the extended cut, but it has the "2017 color correction" for the theatrical cut.

I wonder if the coloration on the new EC will look closer to the MGM BD from 2009 (which had framing issues, if I remember correctly).

senseabove

#3010 Post by senseabove » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Yes to Leisen, though! And 40 titles in this round are from the 30s and 40s, so hopefully there'll be some other under-appreciated gems in there.

therewillbeblus

#3011 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:29 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:52 pm
No new Sirk coming -- I'll have to put my dreams of Has Anybody Seen My Gal? on hold again.
The optimist in me thinks at least one high level employee from one of these companies has to love movies enough to pitch a Charles Coburn box

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3012 Post by Drucker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:56 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:26 pm
KL Insider was asked if the Universal deal has any films from Margaret Sullavan, Bing Crosby and Cecil B DeMille. He said yes to all three
Almost picked up the German Unconquered so I'll hold off.

FrauBlucher

#3013 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:00 pm

KL Insider breaking down Universal deal by decade. He said lots of noir
Correction, 65 titles.

Yes, at least 3 titles previously released on Blu-ray + the 4 we're planning to release on 4KUHD.

13 or 14 are first time on DVD in the U.S.

1920s x 1
1930s x 23
1940s x 17
1950s x 1
1960s x 5
1970s x 6
1980s x 1
1990s x 8
2000s x 1

And 2 TV shows
Yes to Milland, Dieterle, Colbert, Dietrich, Stanwyck, Godard, Edward G Robinson and Edmond O'Brien. He also thinks the 2000 film is a Focus Feature but wasn't %100 sure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3014 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:09 pm

That is a crazy amount of 30s films. I imagine they’re going after whatever is still left from the old Universal star sets

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3015 Post by soundchaser » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:14 pm

I really wonder what the Dietrich(s) could be -- they've already released all the obvious Universal titles, and no Borzage means Desire is out. Golden Earrings? I guess if anyone's going to put out Follow the Boys it'll be Kino...

EDIT: More Lombard coming too. I'm guessing they'd go after We're Not Dressing and Now and Forever for obvious marketing purposes, but I could see True Confession and, if we're lucky, White Woman coming from them.

BigMack3000

#3016 Post by BigMack3000 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 am

Any mention of what decade the shows are from? Any chance we're getting Alfred Hitchcock Presents?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3017 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:54 am

BigMack3000 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 am
Any mention of what decade the shows are from? Any chance we're getting Alfred Hitchcock Presents?
I’m guessing Night Gallery is one of them

bugsy_pal

#3018 Post by bugsy_pal » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 am

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:

To answer your question: Yes, the phrase "toxic femininity" does appear in the review.
The caps-a-holic comparison of the new Kino Bluray of this title with the earlier disc seems to show:
1. the Kino has nicer colours, but
2. the Kino is quite soft, almost looking blurry in some captures, eg. this one

Calvin

#3019 Post by Calvin » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:25 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Yes to Milland, Dieterle, Colbert, Dietrich, Stanwyck, Godard, Edward G Robinson and Edmond O'Brien. He also thinks the 2000 film is a Focus Feature but wasn't %100 sure.
What Godard is with Universal?!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3020 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:53 am

Pretty sure that's a typo for "Goddard," who was confirmed by KL Insider. Probably one or more of her Mitchell Leisen films since he was confirmed as well, though he also made Golden Earrings with Dietrich.

That said, I can't find anything from KL Insider ruling out some Godards being among the Canal licenses, though I may have just missed it. Passion is the last title in the old Lionsgate box still MIA from Kino, and three Belmondos are confirmed, so maybe Une femme est une femme is in the running? It's a longer shot, but I think Notre musique is part of the Canal library as well.

FrauBlucher

#3021 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:53 am

Yes, it's definitely Paulette Goddard. Sorry for that.

mhofmann

#3022 Post by mhofmann » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 am

bugsy_pal wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 am
The caps-a-holic comparison of the new Kino Bluray of this title with the earlier disc seems to show:
1. the Kino has nicer colours, but
2. the Kino is quite soft, almost looking blurry in some captures, eg. this one
Wow. The UK release is of course grossly oversharpened, but that new (otherwise very nice!) scan looks a bit as if the film scanner was just slightly out of focus. How likely would that be?!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3023 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:31 am

I'm bothered on how blurry the film grain looks overall. I indeed wonder if the film scanner could have been (ie is it actually possible for such a thing to happen) slightly out of focus, but as Svet suggests, it could also be that Kino used an intermediate element that wasn't perfectly produced (something I think is a bit more likely), while maybe Universal used a sharper element but vastly filtered it.

Orlac

#3024 Post by Orlac » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:31 am

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:

What a repulsive individual.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3025 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:06 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:53 am
Pretty sure that's a typo for "Goddard," who was confirmed by KL Insider. Probably one or more of her Mitchell Leisen films since he was confirmed as well, though he also made Golden Earrings with Dietrich.

That said, I can't find anything from KL Insider ruling out some Godards being among the Canal licenses, though I may have just missed it. Passion is the last title in the old Lionsgate box still MIA from Kino, and three Belmondos are confirmed, so maybe Une femme est une femme is in the running? It's a longer shot, but I think Notre musique is part of the Canal library as well.
Belmondo starred in a lot of late period policiers and action movies that are far more in line with KL’s tastes, so don’t get your hopes up