Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2401 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:11 pm

It's going to be another great Halloween ⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰

Our October Halloween Sale Continues! FINAL 3 DAYS!
• Over 220 Blu-rays and DVDs - $4.99 and Up!
• Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or More!
• Sale Ends Monday October 28th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/co ... -sale-2019

FrauBlucher

#2402 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Petty Bourgeoisie

#2403 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:24 pm

La Religieuse should be included in the October sale. Its restoration is a real horror show.

Aunt Peg

#2404 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:48 am

Petty Bourgeoisie wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:24 pm
La Religieuse should be included in the October sale. Its restoration is a real horror show.
It would have to rank as one of the worst restoration ever - a StudioCanal disaster. I've only seen the film twice - once in the 1980's in a very much faded to pink print and recently on Blu Ray in what must be one of the most teal prints ever! I doubt I will live long enough to see this film ever presented in its proper colour if I have to wait another 30 years!

Kino Insider

#2405 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Coming January 7th on Blu-ray!
$19.95 SRP

THE SLASHER (1953) aka COSH BOY
A gang of teenage delinquents, led by Roy (James Kenney, Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N.), is earning money by mugging women on the streets of London. The boys are making substantial profits, until the police catch up with them. At their hearing, the magistrate passes a fairly lenient sentence with the suggestion that they join a youth club and reform their ways. But while there, the delinquents use the building as a base for their growing operation, intimidating other members of the club, increasing their numbers and slowly getting in over their heads. Co-starring screen and television legend Joan Collins (The Bitch and TV’s Dynasty) and directed by James Bond veteran Lewis Gilbert (You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me).

MichaelB

#2406 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:00 pm

As a minor historical footnote, this was the first British film to get a then-new X certificate from the BBFC, and was presumably made with that aim in mind.

Kino Insider

#2407 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:49 pm

FINAL DAY!
• Over 220 Blu-rays and DVDs - $4.99 and Up!
• Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or More!
• Sale Ends Monday October 28th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/co ... -sale-2019

Kino Insider

#2408 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Coming January 14th!

House by the River (1950)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Interview with Celebrated Producer and Historian Pierre Rissient
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Trailers

Exiled to Republic Pictures, Fritz Lang (Metropolis, Spies, Scarlet Street, The Woman in the Window) created House by the River, a shocking and mordant low-budget thriller. Like fellow cinema giants Orson Welles and John Ford, Lang enjoyed a freedom at Republic that allowed him to make a truly unique and personal film. Regarding House by the River, Cahiers du Cinéma declared, “Lang’s main erotic obsession is displayed more clearly than in any of his other films.” Victorian ne’er-do-well Stephen Byrne (Louis Hayward, And Then There Were None) assaults and accidentally murders his wife’s virginal housekeeper. With the reluctant assistance of loyal brother John (Lee Bowman, Bataan), Stephen remorselessly consigns the girl’s corpse to the river. But as John’s affection for Stephen’s wife Marjorie (Jane Wyatt, Pitfall), police suspicion about the girl’s disappearance, and the depths of Stephen’s depravity all escalate, the river itself provokes a horrifying reunion between victim and murderer. Boasting an ingenious script by The Spiral Staircase scribe Mel Dinelli and evocative photography by seven-time Oscar nominee Edward Cronjager (Heaven Can Wait), House by the River is a criminally underrated American film, both a work of art and a moral nightmare.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2409 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Nice, glad to see Kino starting to bring out upgrades for some of their much older DVDs

eerik

#2410 Post by eerik » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:08 pm

I just ordered the French release by Lobster a few days ago. I saw reviews mentioning the new restoration was done in collab with BFI and Kino Lorber, and Lobster themselves claim it is a 4K restoration. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kino Insider

#2411 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:44 pm

Coming January 14th!

The Whisperers (1967)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Trailers

B&W 106 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
From Bryan Forbes, the legendary writer/director of Séance on a Wet Afternoon, The Wrong Box, The Stepford Wives and The Naked Face comes this gripping classic about an elderly woman who becomes increasingly ensnared by her own world of delusion and exploited by the very real world of morally corrupt people. Three-time Oscar nominee Dame Edith Evans received her final Oscar nomination (Best Actress in a Leading Role) for her performance as the eccentric Mrs. Ross, living alone in a meager apartment and hearing “whisperers” that plot against her. The whispering voices are right—but will anyone believe her? Gerry Turpin’s (Morgan: A Suitable Case of Treatment) stunning photography and John Barry’s (The Lion in Winter) haunting score are two of this powerful psychological drama’s best features.

Kino Insider

#2412 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 pm

eerik wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:08 pm
I just ordered the French release by Lobster a few days ago. I saw reviews mentioning the new restoration was done in collab with BFI and Kino Lorber, and Lobster themselves claim it is a 4K restoration. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's the same 2018 restoration, but we're pretty sure it's 2K.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2413 Post by tenia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:46 pm

Quite sur it's 2k too.

colinr0380

#2414 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:16 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:00 pm
As a minor historical footnote, this was the first British film to get a then-new X certificate from the BBFC, and was presumably made with that aim in mind.
Interestingly I just re-watched one of the BBC's "Talking X's" programmes from 1995, which suggested that Women of Twilight/Twilight Women was the first British X film. I never knew there was competition for that honour!

nitin

#2415 Post by nitin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 am

Great new re House by the River, always wanted to see it.

Kino Insider

#2416 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:52 pm

Coming January 14th!

ROOM AT THE TOP (1959)
• 2K Restoration
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 117 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
This classic British drama, with potent social commentary and a superb cast, portrays the story of a young man from a small mill town who claws his way to the top. Laurence Harvey (The Manchurian Candidate) is the “angry young man” who marries the daughter (Heather Sears, The Black Torment) of a factory boss (Donald Wolfit, Svengali) so he can reach the top of his profession, only to find love in an unhappily married older woman (the steamy Simone Signoret, Death in the Garden). A mature treatment of sexuality and class, Room at the Top is a landmark of the British New Wave and winner of two Academy Awards for Best Actress (Signoret) and Adapted Screenplay (Neil Paterson). A powerful adaptation of the novel by John Braine (Life at the Top) with skillful direction from Jack Clayton (Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Innocents). Beautifully shot by Freddie Francis (Sons and Lovers) and nominated for four more Oscars, including Best Picture (John and James Woolf), Best Director (Clayton), Best Actor (Harvey) and Best Supporting Actress (Hermione Baddeley, Mary Poppins).

Glowingwabbit

#2417 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Nothing against any of your regular commentators but you really need to expand your network.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2418 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:35 pm

On the other hand, Kat sure is busy these days !

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2419 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 pm
Nothing against any of your regular commentators but you really need to expand your network.
Oh, I’ll do you one better and speak against them. It’s just Drew Casper / Richard Schickel 2.0, bringing in someone with general knowledge to discuss movies where they aren’t passionate and the majority of info is just filmographies and IMDB/Wiki material. I imagine the usual KL gang’s rates are low enough that they don’t care about the content, though

Matt

#2420 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm with you 100%. These commentaries are exhaustingly banal.

hearthesilence

#2421 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 pm

I nominate Glenn Kenny, he'll do his research and at the very least will be entertaining.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2422 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 pm
Oh, I’ll do you one better and speak against them. It’s just Drew Casper / Richard Schickel 2.0, bringing in someone with general knowledge to discuss movies where they aren’t passionate and the majority of info is just filmographies and IMDB/Wiki material. I imagine the usual KL gang’s rates are low enough that they don’t care about the content, though
I try not to be a complainer, but agree completely. I love Tim Lucas, but his commentaries are mostly an overview of who's who in the film and the rest of their filmography. I listened to Nick Pinkerton's commentary on Robbery, and in the past found him to be funny and insightful on the Film Comment podcast (when Violet Lucca was still the host), but here found him banal giving zero insight into the films of Peter Yates or British crime films as a whole.

Kino Insider

#2423 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Coming January 14th!
BD $19.95 | DVD $14.95

Just Visiting (2001)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Entertainment Journalist and Author Bryan Reesman
• THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MAGIC - Featurette
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Trailers

Color 88 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG-13
Co-writer/director Jean-Marie Poiré and co-writer/co-star Christian Clavier teamed up with John Hughes (Home Alone) to remake their 1993 French smash-hit Les Visiteurs. It’s 12th-century France and Count Thibault (Jean Reno, Léon: The Professional) finds his beautiful bride-to-be (Christina Applegate, The Sweetest Thing) done in by malevolent magic. So, he and his loyal servant Andre (Christian Clavier, Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar) request the help of a local wizard (Malcolm McDowell, Britannia Hospital) to right the wrong and bring his beloved back. But the wizardry goes awry and the pair are transported to 21st-century Chicago where they meet Thibault’s descendant Julia (Applegate) and her scheming fiancé. With their timeless values of honor and courage, they wreak havoc foiling diabolical plots in modern-day Chicago and try to find their way back home. Just Visiting is one very funny fish-out-of-water comedy, co-starring Tara Reid (National Lampoon’s Van Wilder) and Bridgette Wilson-Sampras (Billy Madison).

Kino Insider

#2424 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Our releases include commentaries from dozens of historians/critics, some like to do more than others and many are very picky. So we either release them with a commentary by historian you guys don't like or without one. Many people love Kat Ellinger's commentaries and others don't.

ianthemovie

#2425 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 pm
I nominate Glenn Kenny, he'll do his research and at the very least will be entertaining.
Seconded. He's one of those critics who just has an enormous wealth of film knowledge at his fingertips, has interesting opinions, and always expresses himself with erudition. I wish he did more commentaries. I could listen to him read the phone book.