Gaumont French Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kauno

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#501 Post by Kauno » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:22 am

tenia wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:07 am
Yes, you still can. They're repressing older problematic pressings one after the other, so depending on which titles they now have new discs of, they might be able to fill you in on your defective discs.
Thanks! I will do that at some point, but I just realized that I cannot identify the problematic BDs when fast forwarding. I have to sit and watch them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#502 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:25 am

Fast forward can allow to skip the defective sectors of the disc. There is another possibility, if you have a BD-ROM player on your computer, which is to scan the disc using VSO Inspector. It will detect defective or close-to-be defective sectors on the disc.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#503 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:31 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:51 pm
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:58 pm
Before/after restoration videos up for Judex and Tih-Minh:
https://www.fnac.com/a16278512/Judex-Bl ... 512|BL1|L1
https://www.fnac.com/a16278517/Tih-Minh ... ld-Blu-ray
Finally watched the restoration videos of Judex and Tih Minh— they are astounding! Glad they’ve got English subtitles on the features. I wish they had them on the supplements as well — though each release seems to have only one ~15 minute supplement. Wonder whether Kino will eventually pick these up.
Can anyone confirm that these releases actually have English subtitles? I just ordered them today, remembering reading here that they had. But blu-ray.com says no subtitles, and Amazon.fr does not list any subtitles. However, both Fnac and Potemkine says English subs. Who to trust?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#504 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm

They both have English subs for the intertitles.
I used to update blu-ray.com's specs for this kind of releases, but I'm banned from there so too bad for their accuracy.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#505 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:10 pm

Thank you, tenia! I'll keep my order, then. Very much looking forward to these. Enjoyed Fantômas and especially Les Vampires immensely. I've always wanted to watch Judex after watching Franju's tribute many years ago, but the dvd looked so bad that I held off. Especially now, it feels like it was the right decision.

denti alligator

#506 Post by denti alligator » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:28 pm

I watched the Blu-ray of Judex and it is maybe the single best looking pre-1920s film I've ever seen on home video (or anywhere). The restoration is stunning. My son loved it, so we started watching Les Vampires, and by comparison it looks awful (Kino Blu-ray). I hope they're working on a restoration of it, too!

andyli

#507 Post by andyli » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:56 pm

denti alligator wrote:I watched the Blu-ray of Judex and it is maybe the single best looking pre-1920s film I've ever seen on home video (or anywhere). The restoration is stunning. My son loved it, so we started watching Les Vampires, and by comparison it looks awful (Kino Blu-ray). I hope they're working on a restoration of it, too!
Les vampires has already been released by Gaumont, with a newer restoration than the one on the Kino.

denti alligator

#508 Post by denti alligator » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 pm

andyli wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:56 pm
denti alligator wrote:I watched the Blu-ray of Judex and it is maybe the single best looking pre-1920s film I've ever seen on home video (or anywhere). The restoration is stunning. My son loved it, so we started watching Les Vampires, and by comparison it looks awful (Kino Blu-ray). I hope they're working on a restoration of it, too!
Les vampires has already been released by Gaumont, with a newer restoration than the one on the Kino.
Ahh! Really? Where are the details on this?

Is it in the Feuillade box set? Has anyone posted screen grabs from it? Is the version of Fantomas in that set the same as the Kino or an even newer restoration?

Either way, I may have to splurge on this set, even though it’s expensive for just Les Vampires. Any other must-haves from Gaumont that I might as well throw in the cart if I’m ordering this from Amazon.fr?

andyli

#509 Post by andyli » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:42 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 pm

Is it in the Feuillade box set? Has anyone posted screen grabs from it? Is the version of Fantomas in that set the same as the Kino or an even newer restoration?

Either way, I may have to splurge on this set, even though it’s expensive for just Les Vampires. Any other must-haves from Gaumont that I might as well throw in the cart if I’m ordering this from Amazon.fr?
Yes, it's the Louis Feuillade box set (which I own) I'm talking about. I can't remember seeing any screen grabs posted online. But you can find some detail about the restoration of Les vampires from here.

The box set features both serials in glorious 4K restorations, whereas Kino used an older transfer (with English intertitles) for their Les vampires release and licensed the proper Gaumont restoration for Fantomas.

denti alligator

#510 Post by denti alligator » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:51 pm

andyli wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:42 pm
denti alligator wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 pm

Yes, it's the Louis Feuillade box set (which I own) I'm talking about. I can't remember seeing any screen grabs posted online. But you can find some detail about the restoration of Les vampires from here.

The box set features both serials in glorious 4K restorations, whereas Kino used an older transfer (with English intertitles) for their Les vampires release and licensed the proper Gaumont restoration for Fantomas.
So the Kino of Fantomas is the same 4K restoration as in the box set? Just (double) checking.

andyli

#511 Post by andyli » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:12 am

Yes.

Aunt Peg

#512 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:21 am

Gaumont have released some great titles recently with English subtitles:

Aline (Valérie Lemercier) (there is also a special edition which includes a DVD of the film and the soundtrack)
Illusions Perdues (Lost Illusions) (Xavier Giannoli)
Les Choses Humaines (The Accusation) (Yvan Attal)
Serre Moi Fort (Hold Me Tight) (Mathieu Amairic) - I don't think this film isn't that good but it has it admirers

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#513 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:46 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:21 am
Illusions Perdues (Lost Illusions) (Xavier Giannoli)
This is coming from Music Box in the states, if anyone wants to wait to import

Fiery Angel

#514 Post by Fiery Angel » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:42 pm

The last Giannoli movie Music Box distributed only got a DVD release.

luxta

#515 Post by luxta » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:02 am

Door on the Left as You Leave the Elevator (1988) owned by Gaumont?

Stefan Andersson

#516 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:11 pm

Interview in French with Gaumont:
https://www.dvdclassik.com/article/entr ... umont-2022
-Gaumont now owns the Roissy Films catalogue (Repas de fauves, Christian-Jaque for example)
-I... comme Icare and Mille milliards de dollars restored, release in June 2022
-Gaumont owns Love at Twenty except the Truffaut segment (MK2)
-Piège pour Cendrillon (Cayatte), from the Japrisot novel, is up for release; a deal with the Japrisot estate has been made
-Christian-Jaque wave upcoming: La Symphonie fantastique, Nathalie, Madame sans-gêne
-Une homme est mort (Deray) will be restored; maybe it will carry both the French and English soundtracks?
-The Judex release carries the original music score
-Le diable probablement, release October 2022

Calvin

#517 Post by Calvin » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:00 pm

Thanks for that, the interview is actually quite in-depth and it's fascinating to read the thought that goes into what collection a release goes into and what does and doesn't get restored.

The story behind the recent Franju shorts DVD was interesting; it sounds like the reason they weren't included as extras on a Franju feature was they didn't realise they owned them?!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#518 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:00 pm
The story behind the recent Franju shorts DVD was interesting; it sounds like the reason they weren't included as extras on a Franju feature was they didn't realise they owned them?!
It reads to me like they did know they own them, but didn't realise not all of them were out on video. The Cinematheque Franju retrospective generated a look at that, and that's how they found this out. However, they couldn't find a specific way to release them, like as an extra DVD along a main feature, so they had the idea to expand this into a Short Feature special in their budget DVD collection.

Calvin

#519 Post by Calvin » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:21 am

Bresson's The Devil, Probably is coming to Blu-Ray on October 19th

FrauBlucher

#520 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:48 pm

therewillbeblus

#521 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:05 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:48 pm
Lancelot du Lac.... beaver
After seeing this so many times on the R1 DVD, perhaps any HD transfer would appear stunning, but this really looks terrific

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#522 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:41 pm

The screen captures of the new release look mostly quite dark to me (as opposed to the R2 DVD looks impossibly over bright).

MichaelB

#523 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:18 am

I was involved with a twentieth-anniversary 35mm revival back in 1994, and the new Blu-ray (which I’ve had for some time; I bought it when the BFI commissioned my video piece on L’Argent) looks infinitely closer to what I remember. It seems that it’s an intentionally very dark film.

Jonathan S

#525 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:24 am

Could anyone please confirm - from the actual disc(s) - an English subtitle option on the French Gaumont Blu-rays of Tavernier's Voyages à Travers Le cinéma français, la série (i.e. the 8-part, 3 disc set)? The Amazon listing, other sites and even the rear sleeve state "Anglais" but a customer review claims that "Malgré ce que dit la description du produit, l'audio et les sous-titres sont tous en français." I think it might be a case of Amazon conflating reviews of different products, but I'd like to be sure (I'm aware of the US edition).