Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
L.A.

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1626 Post by L.A. » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:18 am

Wasn’t from Shout but was the Chinese film which came out earlier this year that was missing subtitles or something?

EDIT: Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution, finally remembered.
Last edited by L.A. on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willoneill

#1627 Post by willoneill » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 am

To be fair, I see "[incomprehensible]" a lot in subtitles. And just judging from LexG's comments on Twitter about the subtitling job, it sounds like it's often a rush job so I give them some slack. Being fluently bilingual in English and French, I see errors constantly, as well as translation choices I wouldn't make.

Ribs

#1628 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:53 am

It’s not unique to this movie, Shout regularly have SDH tracks that just give up and put (incomprehensible) on clearly legible dialogue literally any transcript of the movie online they could cross-reference would have. It’s ridiculous and I don’t understand how it happens.

MichaelB

#1629 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:14 am

I sometimes get this in supplied subtitles, and my job is to assess whether the dialogue really is incomprehensible before letting them through. Sometimes in situations where multiple people are talking (or shouting) at once, and no one person is more dramatically important than the other, in which case I'll usually go for something like "(ALL TALKING AT ONCE)", but if it's just one person and the dialogue is audible, what's being said can usually be teased out. Sometimes what I'm after is in the official studio transcript, which can sometimes be considerably more detailed than the official subtitles - a particularly memorable example being The China Syndrome, where the official transcript included a full rendition of every background news report, no matter whether it was essentially drowned out in the mix. And sometimes it's genuinely inaudible, in which case it gets an "(INAUDIBLE)" if people's lips are moving.

Another surprisingly common thing is for foreign-language dialogue to appear in the official transcript but for the subtitles to cop out with "(SPEAKING FOREIGN LANGUAGE)" or whatever - I remember being particularly grateful for this with The Undercover Man, which has quite a bit of dialogue in Sicilian (as opposed to Italian), all of which was meticulously notated, so I was able to subtitle it in full. My attitude is that if it's on the soundtrack, it should be in the transcript too - it's not always possible, especially when dealing with languages that use different alphabets (although I couldn't resist throwing in Cyrillic as well as Roman when they start singing 'The Internationale' in Hymn of the Nations), and sometimes the actor is literally talking gibberish, as Tom Baker cheerfully admitted about his "Arabic" in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. And sometimes I have to ask around - I remember piecing together the blessing that Maureen O'Hara recites in The Long Gray Line with the aid of Irish speakers online. (That one wasn't in the transcript; it was merely something like "RECITES IRISH BLESSING".) Although that's just reminded me of one of my favourite such jobs - the scene in The Missionary where Graham Crowden is reciting an absurdly elongated Grace in Latin. A peremptory "(SPEAKING LATIN)" felt like short-changing the viewer, so I Googled as many phrases as I could reliably transcribe, and discovered that he'd bolted together three Latin versions of Grace in order to prolong the scene for comedic purposes.

I've hardly ever had to transcribe features by ear - the only two exceptions I can think of were No Orchids For Miss Blandish, where there were no existing subtitles and the rightsholder transcript (clearly created much more recently than 1948) alternated between being flagrantly inaccurate and simply omitting anything the transcriber couldn't make out. And the other one, more surprisingly, was Buffalo Bill and the Indians, whose official subtitles and transcript significantly toned down the 19th-century frontier vernacular - the fact that the transcript included translator's notes makes it clear that it was aimed at making non-English subtitlers' jobs as easy as possible. Obviously, we put the vernacular back in, but that involved a lot of close listening and proofing by multiple people. (The most challenging bit was an opera aria sung near the end, the problem being that while it was easy enough to identify, it's more familiar in Italian than German - thankfully, Google Books had a mid-19th-century book with the German version.)

hearthesilence

#1630 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am

willoneill wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 am
To be fair, I see "[incomprehensible]" a lot in subtitles. And just judging from LexG's comments on Twitter about the subtitling job, it sounds like it's often a rush job so I give them some slack. Being fluently bilingual in English and French, I see errors constantly, as well as translation choices I wouldn't make.
Without knowing the context I wouldn't have suspected a frame grab of "[incomprehensible]" as being a huge slip up. What would've been hilarious is if it said something like "[more French]."

bradass

#1631 Post by bradass » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:34 pm

It’s worth considering that existing translations are IP, and Shout! can’t just use whatever is floating around on the Internet. On a bigger scale—labels that use the bigger localization vendors—an English subtitle editor would identify awkward translations and missing dialogue and then kick it to a French translator, but I’m not sure that Shout!, based on the kind of films they usually release, have the mechanism to do this. There’s probably a vendor credit with any liner notes. It’s obviously a low-effort solution, though. Sound cues in non-SDH subtitles, usually to point out a language switch, I find quite distracting.

MichaelB

#1632 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Why would the primary rightsholder not own the IP to an existing translation, given that the film was intended for international release at the time of production?

Certainly, the subtitles on Indicator's Irréversible were sourced from the official StudioCanal subtitles, which were provided as part of the package under license.

bradass

#1633 Post by bradass » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:01 pm

There may be different translations commissioned for different territories. It’s possible this was done from scratch, and horribly, but I’d wager the rights-holder provided an older translation and an English editor added the sound cues.

Of course IRREVERSIBLE would have a new translation, with StudioCanal exploiting the film in multiple territories and having subs ready to go with the DCP for festival screenings.

Ribs

#1634 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Again, this same issue is not unique to this title and also applies for many of Shout’s SDH tracks also. It’s not a question of relying on an online translation - if I was doing a subtitling job (for an SDH track) and genuinely couldn’t make something out, I would consult an online transcript and check it against what I hear to see if that sounds right. I wouldn’t just give up and put text like that. Shout are the only major label that seems to have this issue, and it’s for any of their movies, including (just a recent example of a title that was rife with these) In the Mouth of Madness that obviously would have extant tracks from earlier releases. I don’t understand why they’re commissioning new sets for titles like these.

MichaelB

#1635 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 pm

bradass wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:01 pm
There may be different translations commissioned for different territories.
With a comparatively recent (as in last two decades) film, I'd say that that was pretty unlikely - it's far more likely that an official US English translation was commissioned shortly after the final edit had been locked down, supplied by the rightsholder to all licenses for English-speaking territories, and that was the basis for all properly licensed releases in English.
It’s possible this was done from scratch, and horribly, but I’d wager the rights-holder provided an older translation and an English editor added the sound cues.
I suspect that's what happened, although I'm not sure "older" is necessarily relevant - why would it need to be retranslated a mere twenty years later, given that it's a period drama to begin with?
Of course IRREVERSIBLE would have a new translation, with StudioCanal exploiting the film in multiple territories and having subs ready to go with the DCP for festival screenings.
As far as I can see, Irréversible has only ever had the one official English translation, presumably created at some point in 2002, which I can confirm for certain was provided to Powerhouse by StudioCanal (I was originally down to supervise the subtitles on that project before Covid-19 stuck its oar in). There's no real point reinventing that particular wheel unless there was something wrong with it to begin with.

dwk

#1637 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Replacement program for Brotherhood of the Wolf has been announced:
We are offering a replacement program to correct errors in the English subtitle track found on disc 1 on The Brotherhood Of The Wolf (Collector’s Edition).

If you would like to sign up to receive the corrected disc at no cost to you, please go to https://www.shoutfactory.com/replacemen ... -s-edition and follow the instructions on the form. Please note that if you live outside the US and Canada, you will need to use a freight forwarding service to receive the replacement disc.

When filling out your form, you will need to upload a copy of your proof of purchase (photo or scan of receipt or digital receipt from online retailer).

Corrected discs will be marked with “R1” on them. They will be shipped in a rigid cardboard mailer and the disc will be placed in an individual sleeve to protect it further in transit.

Corrected discs will be available by mid-October of 2021. There’s a possibility they may arrive sooner, and we will make every attempt to ship them to you as soon as it is possible.

Thanks for your understanding,
Shout!

Customer Service
Shout! Factory
1640 S. Sepulveda Blvd.
Ste. 400
Los Angeles, CA 90025
info@shoutfactory.com

jazzo

#1638 Post by jazzo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm

That reminds me - I’m still waiting for my Blu-Ray replacement of their Crazy Mama/Lady In Red disc to arrive!

Ashirg

#1639 Post by Ashirg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:53 pm

What was wrong with Crazy Mama/Lady In Red disc? They have so many replacement programs going at once, I can't keep up...

jazzo

Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1640 Post by jazzo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 am

I believe they accidentally left off a couple of the special features from the DVD.

They contacted me about the replacement, though, before my original disc even arrived in the mail.

L.A.

#1641 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:31 am

Extras for Alone in the Dark (1982) now listed:

Bonus Features

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive
• NEW Out Of The Dark – An Interview With Director And Co-Writer Jack Sholder
• NEW Mother Choppers: The Sic F*cks Remember Alone In The Dark
• NEW Sites In The Dark: The Locations Of Alone In The Dark
• NEW Audio Commentary With Genre Film Critic Justin Kerswell And Film Historian Amanda Reyes
• Audio Commentary With Director Jack Sholder
• Bunky Lives! – An Interview With Actress Carol Levy
• Still F*cking Sick – Catching Up With The The Sic F*cks
• Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spot
• Radio Spots
• Still Gallery

dwk

#1642 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:18 pm

jazzo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm
That reminds me - I’m still waiting for my Blu-Ray replacement of their Crazy Mama/Lady In Red disc to arrive!
The Crazy Mama/Lady in Red replacement discs have shipped
“We originally reached out in May to let you know that our initial run of Crazy Mama was missing a bonus feature interview with Jonathan Demme and Roger Corman. We informed customers who had already ordered the Blu-ray that we were pressing a revised disc to include this missing material, and that we would send it as soon as it became available.

The good news: That time has come! The replacement discs have arrived and have all shipped as of today.

If you haven't received your replacement within three weeks of this email, please let us know.

Thank you once again for your patience and cooperation while we corrected this error. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know.”

dwk

#1643 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:52 am

October Shout/Scream releases:
Nothing But Trouble
Killer Party
Deadly Friend

L.A.

#1644 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:22 am

dwk wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:52 am
Deadly Friend
Anne Ramsey’s (who played Mama Fratelli in The Goonies) death scene in the film is just crazy.

dwk

#1645 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:05 am

Another October releaseDon Knotts: 5 Film Collection (The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Reluctant Astronaut, The Shakiest Gun in the West, The Love God?, and How to Frame a Figg)

dwk

#1646 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:23 am

Another bit of news, there is an Amazon pre-order for a re-release of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For with Shout's logo on the spine. So it appears that Shout Factory has part of the Weinstein Company catalog.

Curious to know what is with Lionsgate via them buying Spyglass and what is with Shout.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1647 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:02 pm

The Jerk, which has a worse cover but better transfer than previous releases, is close to selling out, and currently available for half off direct from Shout. Also included in that sale, the recent releases of State and Main and The Pianist are only $12.49

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1648 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:27 am

A Shout Factory release I'm looking looking forward to... https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/sh ... ct_id=7690

Shirobako is an anime series from a few years back ... about making anime. It focuses on a rookie production assistant at a sort of marginal anime studio (always living on the edge). It is one of PA Works' (many) best shows -- and is probably (in the main) a pretty accurate depiction of anime-making (for a smaller studio) around 2015. The series ended on a hopeful note -- as the main characters (a group of girls who had come together in a high school anime club -- and then set off to pursue to their own anime-related dreams -- with the ultimate dream of someday all working together as adults) all seem headed in the directions they want (full of hope).

The sequel shows them 4-5 years later, in an anime world that has become far more difficult -- and the little studio at the center of the series reduced to a mere shell of its former self. Some of the main characters are doing fairly well -- but their careers have grown further apart rather than closer. The movie brings them together in a sort of last chance effort for the studio. I think the series is pretty much a prerequisite -- as the movie does assume you know (and love some of) the characters already. If you do watch the series, I supect you will not want to miss the follow-up. I look forward to another update in another 4-5 years.

yoloswegmaster

#1649 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:04 am

M. Butterfly blu coming in November.

dwk

#1650 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:09 pm

In November, Scream is also releasing:
Dracula: Dead and Loving It (Blu-ray)
Krampus The Naughty Cut (UHD)