Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Glowingwabbit

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#526 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:29 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:42 pm
So no framework or directions for what constitutes "proof of purchase"? Seems like an ineffective way to communicate this, as they'll get a flood of emails asking if x is okay, before the ones actually closing the loop
Proof of purchase usually involves a picture of your receipt (or likely the email confirmation in this case). Shoot them an email. They've always been very friendly when I've needed to email about stuff.

Edit: I have to assume most of the.orders were direct. How many retailers were selling this?

therewillbeblus

#527 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:40 pm

Yeah I already did- just hoping someone from their site cruises through here and might take the feedback for making public specific directions. I also asked them if they need my address or what -obviously, but a step by step of where they want the address (in the body of the email, on a note in the picture of receipt/disc/whatever) would be comforting
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:29 pm
Edit: I have to assume most of the.orders were direct. How many retailers were selling this?
DeepDiscount is- my copy is part of the next wave of standard editions (street date is Jan 2022). I imagine that most orders placed within the last month or however long were not direct, since VG has had an embargo on buying direct from them to promote their sub-labels (I actually wanted to buy direct and support them, but, nope, not allowed!)
Last edited by therewillbeblus on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glowingwabbit

#528 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:40 pm
Yeah I already did- just hoping someone from their site cruises through here and might take the feedback for making public specific directions. I also asked them if they need my address or what -obviously, but a step by step of where they want the address (in the body of the email, on a note in the picture of receipt/disc/whatever) would be comforting
That's true. I ordered direct so I'm just glad I don't have to do anything (plus the bonus $6 coupon will be nice since I subscribed this year and I'm sure I'll be adding partner label titles... I believe Fun City is announcing something Jan 1st)

Edit: I wonder if the standard edition Deep Discount is getting will just be delayed so the new disc can be.included

therewillbeblus

#529 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Came crawling back here to admit that I mixed up Blood for Dracula with Flesh for Frankenstein- which as far as I can tell is not, and may never have been up on DD or other third-party sites. I suppose it makes sense that I confused them for a variety of reasons, but most personally that they blur together to the point where I can't even remember which film had which scene- and I'm pretty sure I only liked one of them, and I'm now suspecting it's not the one I purchased!

colinr0380

#530 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:40 am

I have avoided that problem by having only ever seen Flesh For Frankenstein up to this point (It was the first Criterion that I ever bought, back in the far off year of 2000!). So I could maybe answer your question about scenes, although would be in trouble if it turned out that both films did the same scene!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#531 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:04 am

Frankenstein was the one made for 3D, so there are all sorts of shots of gross things lurching toward the camera

therewillbeblus

#532 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm fairly certain Flesh for Frankenstein is the one I liked- I think it's the more graphic of the two (or more "creatively" graphic), but it's been many years since I've seen either.

On another note, are there certain times of the month to expect announcements from sublabels? I know we got the Her Smell/Arrebato one recently- do they all come at the same time once per month, or randomly? Should we expect another round before the end of the year, during this site-wide "Partners Only" month?

PfR73

#533 Post by PfR73 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:05 pm

The announcements are typically on the first of each month.

therewillbeblus

#534 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Thanks, I suppose the worthwhile follow up question is: Does VG typically offer the ability to buy from their partner labels direct from their website, or is this month a special opportunity to do that, or with better deals, etc.? I'm debating whether or not to place an order now or wait til the next round of announcements, where I could also add in a VG title too, but I don't want to miss out on anything if these partner labels won't be offered in two weeks.. However, it makes far more sense for me to wait til Jan 1 if I can add these films to an order then

PfR73

#535 Post by PfR73 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:35 pm

You can always buy the partner label releases from the VS website, not just during "Partners Only" month. "Partners Only" month is a recent thing that basically gives VS a break from dealing with their normal releases in the aftermath of Black Friday & "Halfway to Black Friday". It's "Partners Only" because there are no releases from VS themselves, but during all other months you can order partner releases and VS releases. VS and the partners announce their new releases on the first of the month, but not each & every partner label always has new releases each month. So yes, you can wait until Jan. 1 and all the partner releases should still be available, unless the release itself is some type of limited edition that sells out in the meantime.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#536 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:36 pm

For years, I've avoided Ebola Syndrome as it seemed like the most hard to digest category III films. I've seen some outrageous stuff in these films like *trigger warning plus spoilers*
SpoilerShow
Red to Kill's violent pube trimming scene, the unsimulated tortured mice in Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind, and the charred remains of a little girl in Run and Kill.
Ebola Syndrome out does all of these in the sheer number of jaw dropping moments from characters spewing insanely racist comments, to ridiculous violence, to even a character getting pissed on. All that outrageousness aside, unlike Run and Kill which is so joyless and mean spirited, Ebola Syndrome seems very self-aware of how far it's taking the category III rating and has a real satirical bent to it. Granted, it pushes this to its absolute limit and I cannot recommend to anyone who's sensitive to this type of film, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I found myself loving this. Also want to make a special note about the wonderful special feature on the disc where the translator of the film asks director Herman Yau about all the colloquialisms in the film and what the literal meaning of these phrases are.

therewillbeblus

#537 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:42 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:35 pm
So yes, you can wait until Jan. 1 and all the partner releases should still be available, unless the release itself is some type of limited edition that sells out in the meantime.
Thanks for the response!

Robert Chipeska

#538 Post by Robert Chipeska » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:34 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:36 pm
For years, I've avoided Ebola Syndrome as it seemed like the most hard to digest category III films. I've seen some outrageous stuff in these films like *trigger warning plus spoilers*
SpoilerShow
Red to Kill's violent pube trimming scene, the unsimulated tortured mice in Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind, and the charred remains of a little girl in Run and Kill.
Ebola Syndrome out does all of these in the sheer number of jaw dropping moments from characters spewing insanely racist comments
Simulated (i.e., acted) "racist comments" (words) are worse than the simulated AND real violence you list in the spoiler?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#539 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:05 pm

Robert Chipeska wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:34 pm
SpoilerShow
Ebola Syndrome out does all of these in the sheer number of jaw dropping moments from characters spewing insanely racist comments
Simulated (i.e., acted) "racist comments" (words) are worse than the simulated AND real violence you list in the spoiler?
When did I say it’s worse?

Robert Chipeska

#540 Post by Robert Chipeska » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:51 pm

Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:05 pm
Ebola Syndrome out does all of these

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#541 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 am

Yes, as it goes beyond graphic violence. It’s not JUST because of the racism. Granted, it’s simulated but it’s a lot of language, violent sexual material, and some racist things comments I was shocked by. Are you just trying to be a prick?

Glowingwabbit

#542 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:04 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:42 pm
PfR73 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:35 pm
So yes, you can wait until Jan. 1 and all the partner releases should still be available, unless the release itself is some type of limited edition that sells out in the meantime.
Thanks for the response!
The nice thing about their website is that they keep an updated stock count. If it still has over 1000 then you're fine waiting. I think I already mentioned it but Fun City Editions is announcing a new title on Jan 1st.

Mr Sausage

#543 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:19 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Yes, as it goes beyond graphic violence. It’s not JUST because of the racism. Granted, it’s simulated but it’s a lot of language, violent sexual material, and some racist things comments I was shocked by. Are you just trying to be a prick?
While I sympathize (you’re plainly being baited in a rather miserable way), poor reading comprehension is not against the rules. Name-calling, however, is. Please keep that in mind going forward.

MichaelB

#544 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Ebola Syndrome out does all of these in the sheer number of jaw dropping moments from characters spewing insanely racist comments, to ridiculous violence, to even a character getting pissed on.
It's worth adding that the person doing the pissing is female, which for some reason feels more taboo.

Robert Chipeska

#545 Post by Robert Chipeska » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:24 pm
Ebola Syndrome out does all of these in the sheer number of jaw dropping moments from characters spewing insanely racist comments, to ridiculous violence, to even a character getting pissed on.
It's worth adding that the person doing the pissing is female, which for some reason feels more taboo.
What a square! Come on MAN, swing a little.

colinr0380

#546 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:19 am

I never imagined The Full Monty (NSFW) as being taboo!

And Elegant Dandy Fop's reporting makes the Ebloa Syndrome sound like a predecessor to that Lee Daniels The Paperboy film!

MichaelB

Vinegar Syndrome

#547 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:36 am

colinr0380 wrote:I never imagined The Full Monty (NSFW) as being taboo!
Not sure if you’re being deliberately disingenuous here, but clearly the crucial difference is that she isn’t pissing on somebody who’s just been savagely beaten (and not by her).

The only time I’ve ever seen anything directly equivalent was in Caligula.

Oh, and now that I recall the context of the Full Monty scene more vividly, surely the whole point was that it was an act that wasn’t merely taboo but directly emasculating?

colinr0380

#548 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:57 am

Sorry, your comment made it seem as if you were upset at the idea of ladies urinating whatever the context!

For the record if I'm being (consciously) disingenuous I usually add a wink emoticon such as this: :wink: . If I'm being sarcastic, I usually italicise the offending word for emphasis. Anything else is just my being oblivious with no conscious extra layer of meaning intended. And I have not yet had the chance to see the Ebola Syndrome as yet.

MichaelB

#549 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:25 am

colinr0380 wrote:Sorry, your comment made it seem as if you were upset at the idea of ladies urinating whatever the context!
I was talking societally, not personally.

therewillbeblus

#550 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:24 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:19 am
And Elegant Dandy Fop's reporting makes the Ebloa Syndrome sound like a predecessor to that Lee Daniels The Paperboy film!
Where Kidman actually did urinate on Efron, which is wild considering the way the scene is shot doesn’t necessitate that in the least!